Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My current mobo an eVGA 680i Sli is on its last legs (SATA controller is dying) so
I just spent half of my tax return on the following;

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 $114.99 @ newegg.com
AMD Phenom II X4 940 $229 @ newegg.com
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 $54.99 @ newegg.com
SAPPHIRE (100270SR) Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB $274.99 @ newegg.com

I cant wait to put the Dragon together. It sucks that there are no full cover waterblocks for the Radeon 4850 X2 (2GB) as of yet so I may just water cool the CPU only for the time being or just hold off on liquid cooling until I see a waterblock on the market.

Please chime in if you have the GA-MA790X-UD4 or a similar setup.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
i got the bored and very impressed with it it hit 290 bus i just cant get 300 bus and i dont feal like pushing hard for it
cpu-z shot in sig with my 4400 x2 and what i was able to do

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. biggums
View Post

i got the bored and very impressed with it it hit 290 bus i just cant get 300 bus and i dont feal like pushing hard for it

Cool, how is the stability?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xerran
View Post

Hello all,
My current mobo an eVGA 680i Sli is on its last legs (SATA controller is dying) so
I just spent half of my tax return on the following;

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 $114.99 @ newegg.com
AMD Phenom II X4 940 $229 @ newegg.com
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 $54.99 @ newegg.com
SAPPHIRE (100270SR) Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB $274.99 @ newegg.com

I cant wait to put the Dragon together. It sucks that there are no full cover waterblocks for the Radeon 4850 X2 (2GB) as of yet so I may just water cool the CPU only for the time being or just hold off on liquid cooling until I see a waterblock on the market.

Please chime in if you have the GA-MA790X-UD4 or a similar setup.

I took a Phenom 920(sig) to 3.220 with no voltage increase. It seems that after hitting that I can't go any higher..I'm guessing it's my RAM that could be limiting the OC...but eh

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. biggums
View Post

Yes, I love the board ^_^.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AIpha
View Post

I took a Phenom 920(sig) to 3.220 with no voltage increase. It seems that after hitting that I can't go any higher..I'm guessing it's my RAM that could be limiting the OC...but eh

Yes, I love the board ^_^.

If I can reach a stable 3.6GHz on the Phenom II 940BE I will be happy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

View Post

If I can reach a stable 3.6GHz on the Phenom II 940BE I will be happy.

I'm sure it's very capable of that. 940 BE would be the limiting factor in that, which isn't very limiting...lol

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Cool, how is the stability?

i only crashed when i was trying to hit 300 bus, but since then i havent had a problem no random crashing or programs randomly stop responding bs lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AIpha View Post
I'm sure it's very capable of that. 940 BE would be the limiting factor in that, which isn't very limiting...lol
Ahhhhhhhh, the wait is killing me. I keep looking at the damn tracking #, Monday the 9th is a looong wait

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xerran View Post
Ahhhhhhhh, the wait is killing me. I keep looking at the damn tracking #, Monday the 9th is a looong wait

Oh I know how you feel. My monitor arrived at the local UPS place on a friday..I had to wait 2 days! It can be killer, I hate ordering parts on Weds/Thurs. Give you the longest wait time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
****, I just checked again and it said my package is on the truck scheduled for delivery today I almost

A good job I have a spanky new Cosmos S chassis on standby.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duders, O-M-F-G as soon as I finished the last post the UPS guy rang my bell

The PC enthusiast and gaming Gods are surely shining down on me this day.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just finished my new build and it's stable at just over 3.7GHz.

Had to up the vcore from 1.35v (stock) to 1.47v for stability. Did ten successful passes of "IntelBurnTest v1.9" with error detection enabled and the core temps never broke past 43c (idle is 33c).

I'm gonna have to do a little tweaking to get to my goal of 3.8GHz but I can finally run Crysis in DX10 mode with high settings.

Far Cry 2 maxed out in DX10 gives me 55fps in the benchmark.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Those are really nice temps. I was going to get that board at first, but x8/x8 crossfire wasn't worth the exra money to me. One thing though, since it does have a SB750, it's going to be one of the best OC'ers you can get
. But you can see that already

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
How much u can tweak NB on this board?Is possible psot to win with 1.55V at 4GHz?Try it pls for me.Im thinking about this board or expensive ASUS M4A79

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlanK3r
View Post

How much u can tweak NB on this board?Is possible psot to win with 1.55V at 4GHz?Try it pls for me.Im thinking about this board or expensive ASUS M4A79

I'm sorry, I plan to keep this rig for some time and do not want to exceed past the safe zone of 1.5v for the vcore.

I'm still trying to work out the NB Frequency, I know the multiplier is set to x9 by default but I'm still n00bish in this area as I'm coming back from a two year rocky hiatus with Intel and the nvidia 680i SLi chipset.

If anyone knows, what is a safe stable voltage for the NB Freq. @ x10 (2000MHz)?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Nice cable management

i have that PSU too, my case looks like medusa's head

i'll redo the wiring once my mobo/cpu come

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlanK3r View Post
I just pushed the NB Frequency from 1800MHz to 2000MHz (x10) and the NB VID from 1.1750v to 1.25v and did ten successful passes of Intel Burn Test with error detection enabled.

I'm going to try pushing the NB Freq. to 2200MHz but keep my current 1.25v for the NB VID and test again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh81 View Post
Nice cable management

i have that PSU too, my case looks like medusa's head

i'll redo the wiring once my mobo/cpu come

If you looking to get this board do take note that Gigabyte has replaced it with the GA-MA790X-UD4P and it's available at newegg right now.

Report back and tell us how you got on.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,043 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I'm sorry, I plan to keep this rig for some time and do not want to exceed past the safe zone of 1.5v for the vcore.

I'm still trying to work out the NB Frequency, I know the multiplier is set to x9 by default but I'm still n00bish in this area as I'm coming back from a two year rocky hiatus with Intel and the nvidia 680i SLi chipset.

If anyone knows, what is a safe stable voltage for the NB Freq. @ x10 (2000MHz)?

my NB rocks on x11 on stock voltages..no issues..not even hot..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts