Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New build specs:

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366)
MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58
Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular SLI Compliant
Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 12800C8 1600MHz Low Latency Triple Channel (PVT36G1600LLK)

It won't boot and there are two lights on the MB on all the time.
On board power switch shows red as does the and MemOK switch.
I tried pressing the MemOK switch after several attempted boots for around 30 secs each time and nothing happens.
I tried resetting the BIOS by the button at the rear but I'm not sure if that should be when powered up or not.
The only things definitely working are the fans.

Stripped everything down and reassembled.

Checked the CPU. I can't see any bent pins. They all look identical.
PSU solidly connected to MB - 8 pin and 24 pin.

Ram - I've tried all three in the recommended slots and individually per the manual.
MemOK still permanently on and doesn't respond to being pressed.
'on board power switch' still showing red.
Speaker silent - I assume it's working.

GPU and all HDD's left disconnected.

One obvious suggestion would be to try another PSU to eliminate that but I don't have access to one.
That presumably leaves the CPU, memory and motherboard.
Since it's QVL memory I'm suspecting the Motherboard.

Any advice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
most likely you have a faulty psu or your case controls are faulty ( wont let the system turn on. Try testing the psu, or manually starting the mobo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 5 fans are supplied direct from the Motherboard and are working.
Pressing the normal Power button on the PC Case starts them up ok but there is nothing from the speaker, assuming it's working.

With a monitor connected and a GPU installed the screen remains blank.

The power to the PC is shut off OK from the Case.

Or have I misunderstood your comments.

Thank you

·
Registered
105 Posts
So when you press the mobo power button nothing happens? Even though the fans turn on the PSU can still be faulty. A faulty PSU can cause anything from random freezing under load, random reboots, all the way to just plain not booting. It's unlikely that all three sticks of RAM would be bad, true. The PSU is still the most likely to be bad, though I wouldn't rule out the motherboard...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just tried the on board power switch and the fans started up.
The button stays red, not sure if it should.

There is no beep from the speaker.
The MemOk switch stays red and doesn't respond to being pressed.

Edit: Tried with the GPU installed and it's fan started up along with the rest but otherwise as above.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
........Ram - I've tried all three in the recommended slots and individually per the manual.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurtn4ASquirtn View Post
I have the same board and had the same problem are you running the ram in slots 1, 3 and 5 it wont boot read the manual. It has to be 2, 4 and six slot.

Hope this is the fix to the problem.
Thanks but I think the problem is elsewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah ****, I have the excat same problem! Same specs except for 950w corsiar PSU and corsair RAM...

I have an identical problem! I got my CPU and Mobo RMA'd and they are on their way back now... And they work fine. **** thats like 80 £ in transport and fee from DK to UK.

So know I guess it is maybe the PSU?? What did you found out?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
have you tried just resetting the old fasion way by taking out the cmos battery or shorting it by reversing the polarities?

i've had the red light staying on one time or two and i always solved it either by pressing the
mem ok button a couple of times or completely clearing the cmos.

as far as i know there are no reset button on our boards but it has a power button.

also try giving it a little bit longer than 30 seconds to start up.

hmm a last thing maybe take the cpu out and back in the socket again if you
still have problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected];11660037
have you tried just resetting the old fasion way by taking out the cmos battery or shorting it by reversing the polarities?

i've had the red light staying on one time or two and i always solved it either by pressing the
mem ok button a couple of times or completely clearing the cmos.

as far as i know there are no reset button on our boards but it has a power button.

also try giving it a little bit longer than 30 seconds to start up.

hmm a last thing maybe take the cpu out and back in the socket again if you
still have problems.
I don't think that you were talking to me, but since I have had pretty much the same problem I could use some more help. Yes I've tried resetting the Cmos and yes I've reset the CPU and checked for bent pins in mobo and CPU. Actually I'm waiting for my CPU and mobo to return from RMA, and guess what... nothing wrong with them. I really don't know what to do... It could be the PSU, the RAM (all three of them?) or my GPUs (both of them)... I can't even post after spending 1400 £... And they won't return my 120hz screen that has a stuck pixel that I can't get away.. ***

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same motherboard and the same problem. mem ok light is on all the time with or without memory installed. And it won't boot, not even a POST-beep. Sent in in for rma 3 times now, 1st time they said it was my memory so that was replaced, got it back with same problem, sent it in again, now the say motherboard is broken so they sent it to ASUS. Got it back again with the note it was replaced with working model which strangely has the same serial. Still not working so sent it in again(see the costs rising
tongue.gif
). Now they say they can't reproduce the problem. So I put it on the table(with isolator under it ofc) and just hooked up the powersuply, still the same so I get another powersuply after reading this thread that I know works(using it right now) and it still doesn't work. (and yes I did hook up the speaker so should hear POST-beeps if they occur).

Allways been a fan of ASUS motherboards but this putting me off seriously. Next time I'll buy a gigabyte.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts