2.Intel Q8300 LGA775 2.5G 4MB 1333MHZ
3.Sparkle GeForce 9800GT 512MB PCIe Video Card
4.Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader
5.LG DVD Burner
6.HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
7.Antec Inc Ultimate Gaming Case NINEHUNDRED
8.OCZ Technology Inc Gold 8GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module
9.ASUS P5Q PRO

When I try to power it on I hear a screaching noise from the PSU and nothing happens. What is going on here? Please help as this is not mine, and I need to ship it out by Saturday.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Something is wrong with your PSU. Check to see if there is anything stuck in the fan or anything alien in your computer at all. Try a different PSU and see if that is the problem. If it works with a new PSU then RMA your PSU because it is shot. Does it even get to "beep" or post? Or does it not start up at all? Your fans? LEDS? Etc.?

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Did you plug a power cable into your GPU? An "screeching" warning alarm (that's sounds like the PSU) goes off when you forget to do so.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it doesn't even get to the beep part and nothing powers on. The green light on the mobo is on though. and no, I dont have an extra one to test with

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not great at troubleshooting a pc but how bout booting up with only one stick of ram? recheck all your connections?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If RAM were the problem it would atleast power on right? Nothing turns on at all NOTHING. I just hear a hissing noise from the PSU

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I would suggest taking everything out-- put the mobo on a desktop -- leave CPU and one sick of RAM in and that's it -- plug in the PSU into the mobo -- and see if you get any POST beeps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALiShaikh View Post
If RAM were the problem it would atleast power on right? Nothing turns on at all NOTHING. I just hear a hissing noise from the PSU
I could be wrong, probably am, but no I don't believe it would post if the ram was bad. (correct me if I'm wrong ><)

Quote:

???

Thought you said here the green light comes one.

Quote:

Yeah, it doesn't even get to the beep part and nothing powers on. The green light on the mobo is on though. and no, I dont have an extra one to test with

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The light on the motherboard comes on, but when I press the power button I get nothing but a hissing sound, not even the PSU fan moves no led nothing, but the MOBO light stays on. Where am I to get another PSU?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Quote:

The light on the motherboard comes on, but when I press the power button I get nothing but a hissing sound, not even the PSU fan moves no led nothing, but the MOBO light stays on. Where am I to get another PSU?
The store...

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
did you try what I said?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post
did you try what I said?
GPU Cable? Yeah I checked it, it was plugged in fine. I need to call Microcenter to see if they have some cheap 600ws(500w works too)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Quote:

GPU Cable? Yeah I checked it, it was plugged in fine. I need to call Microcenter to see if they have some cheap 600ws(500w works too)
Are you sure it isn't the GPU that's screeching? because that is an extremely common problem with cards that need external power.

If not also try putting powers loads on different rails. Since your PSU has 4-rails there is only 150W on each rail therefore you pretty much need to have the graphics card on it's own rail.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts