Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting this new build in the next week.

Purposes are basically Gaming, Movies, Video Editing, Web Design & Game Design.

Also possible overclocking, it's been a couple years since I've owned a desktop, (Had to sell due to school and stuff but yeah, decided what the hell)
So I'm definitly not that much of a scrub but I am looking for suggestions & such.

Monitors
Acer S220HQLB 21.5IN Widescreen LCD LED Backlit 1920X1080 5ms 100M:1 VGA Black Monitor
BenQ M2700HD 27IN LCD Monitor 1920X1080 50000:1 2MS Black W/ Speakers Remote 2XHDMI C

Video Card
MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB 3.8GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E DirectX 11

Mother Board
ASUS M5A88-V Evo ATX AM3+ DDR3 AMD 880G 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 3PCI USB3.0 SATA3 DVI HDMI Motherboard

Hard Drives
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-2133 CL11-11-11-30 1.5V Memory KIT[

Case
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Full Tower Gaming Case ATX 12 Drive Bay No PS TOP USB3.0 USB Audio

Mouse
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

Power Supply
Corsair TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V Single Rail 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze

Processor
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 6 Core Processor 3.2GHZ Socket AM3 Retail Box

Keyboard
Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard USB Programmable Backlit Keys USB Audio *IR-$25*

Headphones
Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset Headphones 18-28000HZ 40OHM 9FT Cable W/ Microphone -WHITE

CPU Cooler
Corsair Cooling Air Series A70 HIGH-PERFORMANCE DUAL-FAN CPU Cooler LGA1155 LGA1156 LGA1366 AM2 AM3

CD/DVD Drive
LG GH22NS70 Super Multi 22X SATA DVD Writer Black OEM

Speakers
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Speaker System

Sound Card
ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital DTS 105DB SNR W/ Headphone AMP

Grand total including tax is $2336.50

·
Registered
733 Posts
First thing to change is get a i5 2500K, much better than a phenomIIX6
Secondly make sure you get a non reference 570, the vrm's on the reference ones are underpowered causing the card to die if overclocked much.
Lastly Antec cases have HORRIBLE cable management so you may want to change cases. every thing else looks good

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 855211;14128505
Secondly make sure you get a non reference 570, the vrm's on the reference ones are underpowered causing the card to die if overclocked much.
Lastly Antec cases have HORRIBLE cable management so you may want to change cases. every thing else looks good
So just get something official like evga? or something? What would you recommend?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58573&vpn=012-P3-1571-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1334 Same specs I think, and an official good brand.

As well, feel free to link me to a case with good cable management cause I would perfer cable management but also not sacrificing looks.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 855211;14128505
Agreed except Antec cases, Not anymore are they horrible cable management. The 1200 and the DF-85 have good cable management.

CodX if you want to build a 2k computer wait for BD. I think AMD's hex core would suit what you plan do to well in regards to Game design though.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If you can afford it , why not go with the 2600k since you will be doing things like video editing and game design ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockpirate;14128632
If you can afford it , why not go with the 2600k since you will be doing things like video editing and game design ?
Yeah I'm considering it, I guess they overclock pretty well with stable temperatures? (depending on cooling)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
It all depends on the chip, if it requires less volts for the desired OC then your temps will be fine, ambient temp also plays a big factor, if you are OCING in a hot room your temps will be horrible even with a low volt OC.

Control your ambient as much as possible, and try and run the lowest volts possible for your desired OC.

You can see in my sig i am running 4.5 at 1.310v which is very average for a 2600k and i never break 70 with my D14 in daily tasks. Prime is another matter, can get up to 80c even with the D14 in synthetic benches like prime. The 2600k tend to run a little hotter simply becuase of the Hyperthreading.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Why a 750W PSU? Kind of overkill unless you're planning to SLI.
Why two monitors?

And with the budget you're spending on this rig, I highly recommend you find a way to turn this into an I7-2600k rig and maybe even look into turning one of those hard drives into an SSD.

Just my two cents
smile.gif

·
Registered
733 Posts
for the 570's im meaning something like these

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59238&vpn=ENGTX570%20DCII%2F2DIS%2F1280MD5&manufacture=ASUS
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59632&vpn=N570GTX%20Twin%20Frozr%20II%2FOC&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62249&vpn=GV-N570OC-13I%20Rev2.0&manufacture=Gigabyte

They all have custom designed PCB's with more/better vrm's and cooling

EDIT: I can testify that the gigabyte card should be awesome, my 470 version of it oc's like nuts and is completely silent until 50% fan

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
2133 11-11-11 is a huge waste
1600 7-8-7 will provide similar performance on AMD platforms

AMD can perform well with lower speed and lower timings

For better future AM3+ support get the M5A97 EVO. it should be cheaper than the M5A88; it will have no iGP but I'm sure you won't need that anyway.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Looks pretty good, I think new egg may offer some of those parts for less. Look up those parts on there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by famous1994
View Post

Looks pretty good, I think new egg may offer some of those parts for less. Look up those parts on there.

I've never used newegg but I've heard they only ship to US? Unless there's a canadian newegg now. The only reason I'm using NCIX is because it's a 20minute drive away and they'll have all the parts the next day when I make my online payment the night before.

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
No, Newegg.ca will always cost more. Shipping costs to Canada are horrendous. For the same reason, you never buy from NCIX in the US no matter how low the price.
Stay with NCIX!
Don't forget to find other stores' prices with Pricebat or another site, and price match at NCIX! Copy and paste the item part number into the pricebat search box. If Newegg or elsewhere has a lower cost, you can always price match to that cost in the shopping cart. i.e. same $10 on GPU by pricematching to Newegg

Once again I recommend taking the M5A97 EVO, for even better AM3+ compatbiility, over the M5A88-V EVO.

One last thing, are you sure about the case? It might just be me, but I think you are really spending quite a lot; you can get a case with just as good features for much less. Of course, this is your preference. If you plan to stay with that case, price match it to here and save $40, before rebate.

For AMD PC purposes, I really don't recommend the Corsair A70 because the mounting will only allow you to blow upward. At $65 you could get something much better. A good choice would be the Prolimatech Meghalems (note: no fans included)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

No, Newegg.ca will always cost more. Shipping costs to Canada are horrendous. For the same reason, you never buy from NCIX in the US no matter how low the price.
Stay with NCIX!
Don't forget to find other stores' prices with Pricebat or another site, and price match at NCIX! Copy and paste the item part number into the pricebat search box. If Newegg or elsewhere has a lower cost, you can always price match to that cost in the shopping cart. i.e. same $10 on GPU by pricematching to Newegg

Once again I recommend taking the M5A97 EVO, for even better AM3+ compatbiility, over the M5A88-V EVO.

One last thing, are you sure about the case? It might just be me, but I think you are really spending quite a lot; you can get a case with just as good features for much less. Of course, this is your preference. If you plan to stay with that case, price match it to here and save $40, before rebate.

For AMD PC purposes, I really don't recommend the Corsair A70 because the mounting will only allow you to blow upward. At $65 you could get something much better. A good choice would be the Prolimatech Meghalems (note: no fans included)

Alright
I just switched the motherboard, I'll do the price matching and stuff.

Also, you live in Vancouver, nice! I live in Abbotsford lol.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
I'm actually a bit closer to you than Vancouver. Surrey here
smile.gif

Good luck with the PC!

The only other thing I wonder is why two separate monitors with same resolution but different sizes. Planning something irregular I guess? (i.e. video editing setup)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts