Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.
Im just getting back into computers so im not up to date with whats the best these days.
after a bit of research as far as i understand the new intel 2011 i7 slot is out and very over priced wich leaves me to wonder if it would be a good idea to buy a 2700 i7 processor for my new buld if the slot that it uses will be obselete within the year.
Another idea i had was buy the best amd fx, while it is a bit behind the 2700 the slot it uses will be used for a longtime knowing amd.
im from australia so im not sure on the prices overseas but here a new intel mobo with 2700k will cost only a small ammount more than a amd mobo with the amd fx. any help on the matter would be appreciated, also im just getting back into it so please correct me if any of this is wrong
smile.gif
thanks

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
LGA1155 will be around for quite a while to come. Currently, the top dog on this socket is the 2700k. It's a great, great processor. Same for the 2600k as a lot of members here have, including myself. You're nearly guaranteed 4.5GHz+, and quite a vast majority of us have been able to hit 5GHz on a modest air cooler, especially on a 2700k. It's definitely a CPU (and a socket, for that matter) that can hold its own for quite a while to come. In a few months, Ivy Bridge will be released (successor to Sandy Bridge) which will be on the LGA1155 socket.

Don't let it fool you either like P55 did back when X58 was king. Z68 (and P67, both LGA1155 sockets) boards and CPUs perform excellent and can be considered high-end desktop. You'll be able to handle any game you throw at it, given you couple it with a higher-end GPU and other components.

Don't go AMD FX. I'm far from a fanboy (I exclusively use AMD CPUs in my server builds), and I can tell you that FX-series CPUs are junk. For the price, an equally-equipped Intel machine will run circles around an AMD Bulldozer rig. It's far, far behind what Intel's current market has to offer.

Depending on your budget, a 2700k, a pair of GTX 570s, a nice cooling setup, and a Gold-rated Power Supply is the golden combination for price/performance at the moment, and will be for quite a bit in the future. Fill us in on your budget plans, and we'll tell you what to plan towards.

Cheers
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K62-RIG View Post

I agree completely the with above. If a gaming pc is all ya after you could save a $ and grab yourself a 2500k. I can say from experience that the 570's in SLI kick some serious a$$
thumb.gif
A 2500k is a very beasty chip that also holds its own in the gaming scene. The i5 2500k's only downside, by the way, is the lack of HyperThreading that the 2600k/2700k has, and 2MB of cache less. Not exactly too much for the average gamer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats very interesting thank yous. I was about to ask what gpu to pair it with, my plan is to get a 2700k now yous convinced me. I dont have a limit on my budget but saying that i value my money, i wouldnt spend hundreds for a 5% increase etc. so gtx 570 sli is the way to go?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looking at the prices sli gtx 570 would cost me $800au, would haveing sli 560 be a significant performance decrease? being under half the price

·
Still kinda lost
3,423 Posts
i7 2700k, the mobo u choose the ones you like and we will help you to choose the best, ram 8gb is enough but you can go with 16gb an ssd is recommended you can go also with the 6970 crossfire its a good setup or go with the GTX560ti 448 cores sli its a better choice than the GTX570 sli and make sure its a 2gb card as thats the least future proof vram and the other things are your choice and make sure to grab a 1000w psu

i hope i helped
thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: jakehishon

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsan View Post

i7 2700k, the mobo u choose the ones you like and we will help you to choose the best, ram 8gb is enough but you can go with 16gb an ssd is recommended you can go also with the 6970 crossfire its a good setup or go with the GTX560ti 448 cores sli its a better choice than the GTX570 sli and make sure its a 2gb card as thats the least future proof vram and the other things are your choice and make sure to grab a 1000w psu

i hope i helped
thumb.gif
800 Watt would be fine for xfire/sli overclocked with an overclocked cpu or you can go crazy if you like

·
Still kinda lost
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrored View Post

800 Watt would be fine for xfire/sli overclocked with an overclocked cpu or you can go crazy if you like
i get scared from that point of view always that i picked a 1200w so i think i am off in that part of the build

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakehishon View Post

looking at the prices sli gtx 570 would cost me $800au, would haveing sli 560 be a significant performance decrease? being under half the price
GTX 560 Ti is another great combination. GTX 560 Ti 448 is also another good option as well.

Quote:

i hope i helped
thumb.gif
1000W PSU is way overkill... 8GB is plenty, but RAM is cheap so 16GB could be an option. I wouldn't exactly recommend an SSD, but it is another luxury option. Something gaming doesn't exactly directly benefit from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrored View Post

Quote:

i hope i helped
thumb.gif
Yeah, 800-850W would be fine. I recommend something 80+ Gold or Silver, at least, however.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts