Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts? Purpose is gaming. Mid to high setting. 1080p

AMD Ryzen 1600 (Purchased)
MSI B350m Mortar (Purchased)
GeIL - EVO X AMD Edition 16GB 3200 or Corsair Vengeance LPX
Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2
SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum (Might be overkill??)
Cooler Master - MasterCase Pro 3 (Purchased)
Nixeus - NX-VUE24A 24.0 (for freesync)

Reusing from my current computer

Mushkin - Reactor 1TB
PowerColor - R9 390 PCS+
Sound Blaster Z
Logitech - G502
Logitech - G910
Audio‑Technica ATH AD700X w/ mod mic
Windows 10

I'm planning doing my first custom loop too.

XSPC RaySt orm Pro C P U Block (Purchased)
EK-XRES 14 0 Revo D5 PWM (Purchased)
Bykski A-D L39X-X (Only block I can for my GPU)
XSPC EX240 Rad iato r (Front) (Purchased)
HW Black I ce Nemesis 240GTS (Top)
Phobya NB- eLoop 1600 rpm (Purchased)
Monsoon Fr ee Center Compressio n Fittings , 3/8" x 5 /8" (Purchased)
PrimoFlex Advanced L RT Tubin g - 3/8in . I D X 5/ 8in (Purchased)
EK-CryoFue l Blood Re d or Mayhem's Pastel Red fluid

·
Senior OCN Member
40,414 Posts
A 750 watt is way overkill for a system with a single GPU and as said the Seasonic Focus Gold is better bang for buck
I would make the the suggestion to drop the M.2 SSD as the drive is held back by software limitations which means its just as fast as a SATA SSD in the real world

The drive will only be faster in synthetic benchmarks or if you use Linux
For Windows users its completely pointless as its just as fast or slow as a much cheaper SATA SSD

Linus made a video about load times in games and they tested both an M.2 and a SATA SSD and load times where exactly the same in all tests and games
Drop the MX300 and spend money on something else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those Geils look like Hynix or if lucky Micron memories (correct me if I'm wrong) Corsair LPX is a lottery. If you can, I'd squeeze some extra money for Samsung. Hynix is rather pain to overclock and Micron is just a little bit better.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

A 750 watt is way overkill for a system with a single GPU and as said the Seasonic Focus Gold is better bang for buck
I would make the the suggestion to drop the M.2 SSD as the drive is held back by software limitations which means its just as fast as a SATA SSD in the real world

For Windows users its completely pointless as its just as fast or slow as a much cheaper SATA SSD

Linus made a video about load times in games and they tested both an M.2 and a SATA SSD and load times where exactly the same in all tests and games
How much watts should I look for? 650, 550? I'll look for that linus video. I'm using too smaller SSDs (128gb and 256gb) I want to cut those out and use one big one. I may just look for another SSD over the M.2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morti View Post

Those Geils look like Hynix or if lucky Micron memories (correct me if I'm wrong) Corsair LPX is a lottery. If you can, I'd squeeze some extra money for Samsung. Hynix is rather pain to overclock and Micron is just a little bit better.
The RAM is already overlock at 3200. I do not plans to push it far than that.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,414 Posts
650 watt is more then enough as long as you only have a single GPU.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
I'm just surprised you're watercooling a Ryzen 5 and using a MSI B350m Mortar. Please be sure to give that VRM heatsink airflow.

650w Seasonic Focus is a good bet as stated above.

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

750 watts isn't "way" overkill for a system like this. If you really start to push the overclocks on a ryzen cpu and the amd 390, you can start sucking a fair bit of power.

If you were to fully stress the gpu and cpu, you would be hitting around 400 watts from the wall. With everything else he has, its a total power consumption of 450w. Thats at stock. Overclocked he could be seeing figures closer to 500 watts with power spikes up to 600 watts.

I would agree that a decent 650 watt psu would be plenty sufficient, but 750 watts is not as overkill as you might think.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalRest View Post

Does it really matter if its 80+ Gold or 80+ Platinum?
Its levels of efficiency so does it matter to you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts