Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my dad is in need of a new camera.

Needs to be an SLR!

here is his budget:
- up to $500-$600 for the body
- up to $300-$500 for additional lenses

what he wants to do with it:
- take survey pictures for his job
- wants to ability to take 5-10 pictures per second.
- no less than 8 MP
- interchangeable lenses, not stuck to same brand lenses of the camera

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let's change it to *best* frames per second within the budget.

here's what he wants the couple frames per second for: I'm a pitcher in my senior year in high school, and he wants to take pictures of my windup/delivery in sequence so we can review my mechanics.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke12291 View Post
let's change it to *best* frames per second within the budget.

here's what he wants the couple frames per second for: I'm a pitcher in my senior year in high school, and he wants to take pictures of my windup/delivery in sequence so we can review my mechanics.
grats on 3,000th post!

wouldnt it be easier to video tape you pitching and then review it frame by frame?

• Rep+
Reactions: smoke12291

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
You should consider the D200 Nikon. BestBuyOnline has it for $599 (~$660 incl tax & shipping). IMO best deal right now... It's rated as a semi-pro camera and gets 5fps. It takes compact flash memory if that' s aconsideration.

As for lens, I've heard that Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 is a good choice

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhowatt View Post
grats on 3,000th post!

wouldnt it be easier to video tape you pitching and then review it frame by frame?
oh wow 3000
didn't see that there.
It would be, but he needs an excuse for a new camera, the one he has now is about dead

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
The D2Hs does 8FPS and it's about $450 used.

Most of these were shot with a D2H:
http://www.momentcorp.com/snowboardseq/snowseq.html
that looks pretty good!
I'll have him look at this camera, but he may want more than 4.1 MP

Quote:

Originally Posted by patman3d View Post
You should consider the D200 Nikon. BestBuyOnline has it for $599 (~$660 incl tax & shipping). IMO best deal right now... It's rated as a semi-pro camera and gets 5fps. It takes compact flash memory if that' s aconsideration.
I think he'll be pretty much between this and the D2H.

Any idea on lenses guys?

he wants to able to get a clear full screen shot of someone over 100ft away, is that possible with this budget?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke12291
View Post

oh wow 3000
didn't see that there.
It would be, but he needs an excuse for a new camera, the one he has now is about dead

that looks pretty good!
I'll have him look at this camera, but he may want more than 4.1 MP

I think he'll be pretty much between this and the D2H.

Any idea on lenses guys?

he wants to able to get a clear full screen shot of someone over 100ft away, is that possible with this budget?

i dont know much about lenses but the D40x is 10mp and $420 at buy.com and it has 3fps.

You could spend that extra money on an awesome lense.

i think it would probably be easier for him to use a camcorder. I mean whenever you threw a pitch he would have to click the camera again. Whereas with a camcorder he could just set up a tripod or at least not have to stay on his toes so he doesnt miss a pitch.

You could get him a new DSLR with a kit lense and a new camcorder with your budget.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Here's a nice shootout between the D2H and D200.

http://www.momentcorp.com/review/d2hvd200.html

Keep in mind, the D2H is a pro level camera. There are reports of them doing 380k shutter releases and still running fine. A D200 would probably crap out around 100-150k.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhowatt
View Post

i dont know much about lenses but the D40x is 10mp and $420 at buy.com and it has 3fps.

You could spend that extra money on an awesome lense.

i think it would probably be easier for him to use a camcorder. I mean whenever you threw a pitch he would have to click the camera again. Whereas with a camcorder he could just set up a tripod or at least not have to stay on his toes so he doesnt miss a pitch.

You could get him a new DSLR with a kit lense and a new camcorder with your budget.

Camcorder won't come close to matching the quality and frame by frame will look terrible. Even the cameras I use in school aren't amazing for frame by frame use. (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XH-A1-Hi...6397726&sr=1-1)

·
Registered
252 Posts
The nikon lens 18-105mm VR that went with D90 as a kit is decent. I'm sure you can find one about 250-300. If you want more reach, the nikkor 70-300mm I think can be found around $500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts