Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of thinking i decided to not get a good rig now with presler, but, instead build a stop gap arrangement till the new processors come out at the end of the year.

So, i need an agp card for the computer.

I have limited options as i dont wanna spend too much , yet have a decent gaming card. so i have decided on a 6600gt, but the problem i have deciding now, is the brand.

Gigabyte
OR
PNY
OR
XFX this one is a 6200, is there a crazy performance difference between this and the gt ? is gt worth the xtra money ?
OR
Asus V9999/TD/128 6800 128mb AGP
Edit : just read a bit about the asus card, but not too sure how it would perform against the gt with ddr3 .

thanx in advance

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am a bit curious if it is worth going for 256meg versions of the cards. This one i found looks really awesome on paper, could someone please shed light on the whole thing please, i.e. are 256meg versions better or not ?
Cheeers

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well my first comment is, that if you keep waiting for new proc's and/or technology's then you get caught into a never ending cycle, it all depends on what YOU WANT.

Ok so about the video card, i would reccommend nothing over a 6600GT, mainly because AGP will be extinct within the next year or so.

For the manufacturer i would go for eVGA if you plan on ocing and switching the cooler.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by X3Nh4nC3D

Well my first comment is, that if you keep waiting for new proc's and/or technology's then you get caught into a never ending cycle, it all depends on what YOU WANT.

Ok so about the video card, i would reccommend nothing over a 6600GT, mainly because AGP will be extinct within the next year or so.

For the manufacturer i would go for eVGA if you plan on ocing and switching the cooler.

Alright, i will keep that in mind.
The video card, well, i would love to , but i cant buy evga here. Unless someone here buys it and ships it to me
. So, my question still remains, which brand and which card out of the ones above ?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i would assume the 6200 will be a bit disapointing. and imo the 6600gt's at 100 pounds seems a bit high. the 6800 will be about equal to the gt unless you can unlock pipelines and either way wont be an amazing card. i dont really like any of the choices, id wait. but if you must id ssay the pny or try the 6800 for just a bit more.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazino

i would assume the 6200 will be a bit disapointing. and imo the 6600gt's at 100 pounds seems a bit high. the 6800 will be about equal to the gt unless you can unlock pipelines and either way wont be an amazing card. i dont really like any of the choices, id wait. but if you must id ssay the pny or try the 6800 for just a bit more.

I know its a bit of a rip off , but,i really cant do much about it, unless someone wants to buy and ship it for me from the states. I think i might go with the pny, arrgghghg ! ! !

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really need some more input from people please, in addition to the help above. The cards mentioned in the beginning are the only decent one's i can get unfortunately, but i do need to get a card fairly soon as the mobo and processor should be here fairly soon. Please help me !

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lanky

After a lot of thinking i decided to not get a good rig now with presler, but, instead build a stop gap arrangement till the new processors come out at the end of the year.

So, i need an agp card for the computer.

I have limited options as i dont wanna spend too much , yet have a decent gaming card. so i have decided on a 6600gt, but the problem i have deciding now, is the brand.

Gigabyte
OR
PNY
OR
XFX this one is a 6200, is there a crazy performance difference between this and the gt ? is gt worth the xtra money ?
OR
Asus V9999/TD/128 6800 128mb AGP
Edit : just read a bit about the asus card, but not too sure how it would perform against the gt with ddr3 .

thanx in advance

Hi Lanky,

Good question and tough call. I had the same decdion to make a year ago. I went with the 6600GT. Second guessing now, I probably should have went with the 6800. For your choice it would be the ASUS card. The 6800 although clocked lower has 12 pipelines vs 8 pipelines for the 6600GT. In most reviews I read this becomes evident when you turn on the "eye candy" AA/AF in most games. The higher clocked 6600GT loses ground. You can always run the clock rate up on the 6800 as well. ASUS products have a good following too. For those cards you listed the ASUS falls right in the middle price wise. So...
Here's a link to read for the comparisons:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...600gt-agp.html

I hope this helped, :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just to add my 2C...

Over the weekend I picked up a PNY 6200 128Mb GFX card at best buy for $89 thinking it would be a lil better then my 5600ultra....

Well I installed it, OC the mem to 584Mhz VS 500Mhz Stock clock, and guess what, only 2800 in 3dMark03, where my 5600 ultra got 3300...

When I tryed out the 6600 AGP 256MB it scored 5200.... but I decided not to keep it....

In short, get a 6600GT with DDR3 and a 500/1000 clocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts