Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8th gen...
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexbomb;13029076
Hi guys,
Today I added 4 gig of ram to my pc and changed my card from a 9500gt to a gf9800gt now all I'm getting is a black screen what have I done or what do I need to do?
Thanks guys
pull the video card to varify its not the ram, and vice versa, varify all drivers are up to date and if no luck still, RTS or RMA

·
Registered
610 Posts
Are you getting any beeps codes when you boot?
Check those against your manual to see what the problem is.

Also try re-seating your GPU and RAM as well as the above mentioned swapping in and out of the previous GPU and then the RAM.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would uninstall the old drivers and then switch the cards and install the new drivers when it when you get back into windows.

Still the biggest concern is that you had no video to start with the new card.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes, you should see your BIOS screens and everything else all the way into the windows log in screen, granted they should look horrible at 640x480 and 8-bit color but there should be something.

Make sure the new card is properly seated and double check to see if it requires additional 6 or 8 pin power connectors at the right of the board when it is installed.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Most probably it is a graphics card failure. Had the exact same problem with my old GeForce 9400 GT. Tried the driver issues solution discussed here but to no avail. Turned out to be graphics card failure.

By the way why would you install 6 GB of RAMs on a dual channel board?? This means you have a 2 GB stick and a 4 GB stick right?? This is not good for dual channel performance. You should install two exact same sticks of RAM for the best possible dual channel performance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts