Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I want to buy a new gpu to replace my old onboard card.
The onboard one is a ati radeon xpress200 chip 256mb (yeah he eats my ram).
It's an old system with a socket 939 so i will buy i new system, but until i got a new one i'd like to know which graphics card i should use to replace the onboard.
I don't need exreme graphics but just a card so i can play my old games like counterstrike source and bf2/2142 on higher settings than low

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
Hey mate, welcome on OCN.

Firstly you should tell us what are the options, what kind of graphics card you can use: PCIe, AGP or only PCI. We'll take it from there,

D.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Also fill in your system specs

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
as above

if possible i say a 9800 GT. yeah, a 9800GT, or an 8800GT. shoot me, but before you do, try it..

or alternatively if the PSU is a low power PSU, a 4670.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ey,

Okay thanx for the fast replies. The cpu is just a sempron (i think you know that is amd
) on socket 939 oc at 2ghz can't go higher because of locked bios. it got one pci-e 16x lane and 2 free pci's but pci card's are expensive and slower. And i prefer ati. But if you guys say that i can better take a nvidia, that is fine. Ow and i just got 350 watt power suply, but i can buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
Hey mate,

Since your CPU is a Sempron and the PSU is 350W there's no point in getting a very high end graphics card, you are likely to find more value in something like an ATI 4670 with 512MB. I actually had something weaker with a sempron, I had a 9500GT(8600GT), but I was very disapointed. A 4670 will do good.
The jump from your actual config would be immense without spending a lot, or needing to change the power supply (I'm not sure a 9800GT would be well served by a generic 350W).

Cheers!

...and yes, if you wanna stay on this forum, which we all hope you do, you may want to fill your system specs, under the "User CP" menu up in the middle of the page.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Yeah, if you get a HD4670 you won't have to buy a new power supply.

Just check http://www.salland.eu
Cheap dutch shop.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
+1 with the 4670

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts