Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
64,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there again Guys Well im most probably going to get a New case and it will be a server case or a Full ATX case...But because i was tinkering with the idea of having 2 PSU'S in my setup to lessen the stress on one PSU but what i want to know is that how do i get both PSU'S to startup at the same time...i know the main one will turn on when i press the on button on the case but i wanto know how to get the second one to boot up at the same time.????? Thanks for your help again guys.

·
Administrator
64,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by manutdfan

You would have to connect the green wire from the motherboard connector of the PSU you aren't connecting to the motherboard and connect it to the front switch by splicing the wires.

I thought there would have to be some dodgy modding involved..Is ther a guid on this anywhere with pictures and stuff ??

·
Need moar megahertz
852 Posts
This is what i heard, if you connect 2nd psu's 14th pin green cable to 1st psu's 14th pin green, and again 2nd psu's 15th pin black (ground) cable to 1st one's 15th black, they'll both run when you push power button.But you better have 2 of same psus. Different wattage and amparage cause unstable power.

correct me if i'm wrong and i havent tried this,thats what i heard, so do it at your own risk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That is the easiest way to do it, you could splice the wires as the guide says but it is harder.

Another way would be to get a dual pole dual throw switch and connect it upto your motherboard and the green wire and any black on the second PSU. This will require a bit more modding though will switch the PSU's on at the same time without having them connected.

If you need any links to switches or and furthur help just send me a pm.

Hope this helps
manutdfan

·
Packet Pusher
2,326 Posts
I'm not sure if newegg has it, but try geeks.com. There is an adapter you can buy that allows you to do this. Also, if the PSU's are of different sizes, it does not matter. Only 1 PSU is going to the mobo, the other I assume you are going to power fans, lights, etc with. One could be a 300 and the other a 500. You are not load balancing across the 2 units, you are just turning 2 units on at the same time. I do this now at home. I used the "dodgy" method of splicing the wires together, but if you don't want to do that I suggest getting the adapter. Again, if the PSUs are of different wattages, it does not matter. I run a 420 and a 300 in the same case. The 420 powers the system, while the 300 powers fans, lights, and 2 SCSI drives. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

Well even though that FAQ is very helpful..is there anyway other way of doing this as it seems dodgy to me.

Depending on what the second PSU will be for. I am guessing it will be for aux equipment ie:fans/lighting/aux control devices etc and the main PSU being for the motherboard/GPU/HDD's/other opticals.

If you have some basic electrical knowledge (I'm sure we can help if not) you could powerup the main PSU (no1) from the case on/off switch and then use one of the +12V cables from a molex to supply switching power to a normally open relay which would switch on the second PSU (no2) via green + black cables in the 20/24 pin plug.
Then on system power down the no2 PSU would shutdown when no1 powers down.

Make sure you use a good electronics grade relay with coil suppression/protection. Don't use an automotive grade relay (the coils can spike to very high voltages when energising and de-energisizing)

note : The only downside is that the no2 PSU will power on after the no1 PSU, but if only running components off the motherboard then that is cool.
There are other methods to do this but for your needs this should be okay. I have used this for a similar configuration.

cheers

• Rep+
Reactions: ENTERPRISE

·
Administrator
64,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kindredice

About having 2 same psus,i cant explain why cos i dont have that good technical english,and this is what you need,aka dual psu adapter

Hmmm wow this is interesting..can someone tell me where i can get one of these.

·
Administrator
64,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

I think the CoolerMaster Stacker comes with one included, but I haven't seen one for sale loose.

Thats interesting..dam i really need to get one of these but loose somehow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts