Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just built my new rig (the one in my sig) and I am having an issue. After installing Windows 7, the computer was working fine until I left it for about 10 minutes; when I came back, the computer was off, but the LED light was still on. When I turned it back on, the screen asking which mode I wanted to boot from came up, and I just said to start normally. It started fine, but again, in a few minutes, the computer would just shut down (screen goes completely black) and the power LED stays on. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I actually just noticed that my restart button does not work, so I think I may have the cables switched around on it, but everything else in that pin area works correctly (power button/LED, HDD LED), and I don't think that would have any part in it...

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,223 Posts
Hmmm faulty button? did you watch it for ~10 minutes or w/e to see exactly how it shuts down? Almost sounds like its going to sleep. If you click the mouse or a key does it come back on?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Reccomend reformat and fresh installation of Win 7.
After Win 7 install make sure Sleep Mode disabled.
Load no other software and wait to see if problem recurs.

Prior poster is on target about Win 7 system sleep
mode issues. You can Google search and get
hundreds of hits regarding this.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm positive that it's not sleeping that is the problem; I turned sleep mode off and it continued to do it anyways. Plus, this happened twice during the Windows loading screen (black screen with windows logo), so it's definitely not falling asleep. I have a feeling it may be one of my sticks of RAM, since it seems to be happening randomly as opposed to after a set amount of time or during a specific point. I have to reformat anyways so I'm gonna try each stick to see if that may be the problem.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: I tested RAM Memtest 86+, and the computer eventually turned off again. Then I tried reformatting the drive with just one stick of RAM, and with each stick, it still did the same thing after about 15 minutes or so... So it's definitely not the RAM... Is does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking that it could possibly be a power supply issue, but I'm not sure... Also, there was 2 times when right when I pushed the power button, it would power up, turn off 3 seconds later, then about another 3 seconds later would turn itself back on and continue to power up... So could this be a power supply issue? I was thinking that it could be a mobo problem, but if there was a short somewhere or something defective, I dont think I'd even get that close... Any ideas?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, I fixed it... I checked the CPU temp in the BIOS and saw it at 85 C (whoah)... Turns out, there was a power cord blocking the CPU fan... It was just over-heating haha... Glad it's not something worse!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts