Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my sis wants my Dell, hey no prob for me heck she can have it. Im building myself a new computer along with some of the componets I already have. Tell me what you guys think and what am I missing to build a new computer from scratch.

1st. Case. Thermaltake III 7 case fans 420 watt psu
ASRock mobo 800mhz fsb 4 dimm
p4 3.0 800mhz (hoping to oc to a 3.6)
120 GB Western Digital HD
1 gb Kingston PC-4000
His Excalibur Ice Q x800 (I thought the better fan=overclock better)
DVD+RW/CD+RW
Audigy 2ZS sound card
Artic Silver CPU thermal paste
My own mouse, monitor, keyboard

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Ozzi

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, the ASRock has gotten really good reviews, plus its basically a copy of an Asus and it should run rock solid. I really dont have enough in my budget to get anymore than what im gettin, if you have any suggestions on what would run better tell me. Im sticking with a p4 though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OzziKing

Eh, the ASRock has gotten really good reviews, plus its basically a copy of an Asus and it should run rock solid. I really dont have enough in my budget to get anymore than what im gettin, if you have any suggestions on what would run better tell me. Im sticking with a p4 though.

if you can afford it, go dfi or abit on the mobo. i was hoping that my asrock board would be a good overclocker, b/c of the relation to asus and the good reviews, but it cant oc worth a penny. so if you can afford it, go abit or dfi.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

The reviews say it is a great overclocker...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...157-034&depa=0

And I just hit something to make the back/forward buttons on my internet browser disapear how do you get those back?

So is it a good one or will it just suck?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I've never really heard much about Asrock personally. I know it's a division of Asus, but I think it's like the "budget board" division. The PT880 chipset is not much for overclocking. Via chipsets in general have never been that great for OC'ing, and the PT880 holds true to this expectation. The PCI/AGP lock does not function, therefore limiting OC to ~10-15 mhz over stock bus speeds.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

I've never really heard much about Asrock personally. I know it's a division of Asus, but I think it's like the "budget board" division. The PT880 chipset is not much for overclocking. Via chipsets in general have never been that great for OC'ing, and the PT880 holds true to this expectation. The PCI/AGP lock does not function, therefore limiting OC to ~10-15 mhz over stock bus speeds.

i have built 2 comps with asrock boards and have rma,ed both of them either through instability at stock or they just wer,nt up to the job

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Well, there it is there....some hands on experience...and none-too-positive at that.
Good input, markuk.

yea my asrock board has very limited functionality? the vcore and vdimm are already as high as the board wil let them go. you can adjust the ram timings, but the board itserlf is not very stable.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've built many asrock based systems. Theyre cheap and cheerful. The lan doesn't work on most of them. Theyre what you should expect from a cheap M/B. After buying the Asus P4c800e deluxe I decided NEVER to buy a cheap motherboard for any systems that I will be using myself. You get what you pay for .

·
Banned
2,439 Posts
Quote:

Well you can't over clock asrrock for one u can on asus

1 - 13 of 13 Posts