Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i have about 1k-1.5k$ im gonna use on a computer pretty soon here... and i wanted to see what would be the best bang for my buck, im planning on building it myself, not getting a pre-built, but i need some help choosing parts

pretty much starting from scratch, but what i do have includes:
sound system
mouse
screen
dvd drive
probably enough ram laying around somewhere, just gotta pick-apart my other computers that i dont use anymore...
a case

Other than that i need pretty much everything...
I was hoping to get something that would be centered around gaming... so a pretty strong gpu/cpu with a good ammount of ram, I have an external HD so im not too worried about memory but i would like ~75-100g+, Im open to liquid or fan cooling, idc which, but i do need a system

actually now that i think about it, pretty sure i have a used fan cooling system in my last computer and i could just use that... the rest of it is pretty much useless other than what is listed above...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Now isn't really a good time to be building a new computer. To be honest I would wait for the intel ivybridge cpus and the new nividia graphics

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
^ Is also something you may want to think about.
2500k - $220
Mobo for about $200
You have ram
GTX 560 Ti - $250
Corsair PSU HX750w - $150
1tb HDD - I don't even know anymore.
You could make a good system.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgipown View Post

Now isn't really a good time to be building a new computer. To be honest I would wait for the intel ivybridge cpus and the new nividia graphics
I agree with waiting for ivy but nvidia aren't meant to release their new cards until Q2/3? That's a long wait, may aswell get 2500k, 7970 then, if you want to, upgrade to ivy.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
A 2500k and a 560 ti will suit you well with any z68/p67 board. The build I'm working on in my sig is about 1200 with a 560 instead of the 7970, it you want a reference.

Typed From somewhere over the rainbow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You are going to use it for gaming?

What resolution? What quality of graphics are you wanting to play on? Xfire or SLI?

Will you be overclocking?

I don't think it is a bad time to buy or build a computer. Prices for Nvidia cards are NOT going anywhere. Nor have AMD since Tahiti came out. It's the nature of the beast.

You have more cash than you will likely need to build a computer that is competent at gaming.

So in short, do you have a preference on parts or would you just like recommendations built on quality and proof of that quality?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i have a laptop at the moment, and it "works" but its not prime stuff :/
i can afford to wait a while but im not down to wait 9 months, ill have closer to 2k to spend on it if i wait 3-6 months and feel comfortable doing so

EDIT:
meh i use a 1080 x 720 res right now i think i forget
I want recommendations on what will last a while as i dont want to frequently be spending a few hundred on my computer just to keep up with the games i get
I dont have a preference on parts as i havent had opportunities to get rigs that i actually wanted in the past, but i have money now
smile.gif
so im not a huge fan of any particular manufacturer/distributer or anything
i wanted something a little more than competent at gaming, like no framerate issues in intensive areas of most games, and i dont mean, aww damn i dropped to 60 fps, i mean no getting under 20 fps while 40 man raiding kinda deal

·
Registered
127 Posts
A 560ti is not the best with that kinda of a budget. The HD7970 is the best and worth the price imo. I would be mad if i got a system for 1200 bucks that had a meh GFX card.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sandybridge or bloomfield(used parts are insanely cheap and only 10% slower)

I7 920 or 2600k both can do 4ghz easy which is plenty. The 2600k can oc further and easier generally. But you want to game so shoot for a stable 4. A power supply of 600w minimum (good brand), and 2x4gb of ddr3 is plenty tbh. Leaves room for another 2x4 if you do somehow usse the 8.

Look into a nice ssd for storage, get a sata3 and set the mobo for ahci sata mode. Asus, gigabyte, and msi are good usually. There are other good mobos too. You dont have to get a super spendy board, just get decent quality, READ REVIEWS BUT WITH SOME SKEPTICISM. Get a board with two x16 slots in case you want SLI or Crossfire

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well, if you decide not to wait the standard seems to be 2500k, p8/Z68 board, 8 gigs of RAM, a 550w - 750w psu, and a 560ti/570 or 6870/6950. That will easily be under 1.5k and give you a solid base for your computer.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Near a Microcenter? Odd's are no but worth asking.

Ivy on the horizon didn't stop me from building a 2600k system in November. I don't think you'd regret building a Sandy system this January, but at the same time, you say you'll have more saved up in 3+ months so.. whynot. Location Tatooine? you playin swtor?
tongue.gif
pfff build it now so you can enjoy that game
thumb.gif

Need mouse/kb/monitor/win 7? No to all of those = a nasty tower.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
either wait for ivy
OR:
HD7970
Crucial m4 128gb
Samsung Spinpoint 1tb/500gb
8gb Kingston/GskillRam
Pick a decent case, doesn't really matter; Corsair, Antec, Coolermaster etc.
heatsink of your choice.
I'm not sure what that will come to in $$ but that's no more than £1500 which will be less in $$

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFreak45 View Post

well i have a laptop at the moment, and it "works" but its not prime stuff :/
i can afford to wait a while but im not down to wait 9 months, ill have closer to 2k to spend on it if i wait 3-6 months and feel comfortable doing so
Do you have a microcenter near you? If so check out their Mobo CPU combos

You do not need a 2600k CPU for gaming. A 2500k can be overclocked and can do "normal" stuff.

You could go with something like this...

2500k - Newegg $229.99

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 $121.99

PSU - Seasonic X650 $139.99

RAM - Kingston HyperX $39.99 AR

You said you had a case and other stuff. What about a SSD? Right now that's almost all your main stuff and it's less than $550 which leaves plenty of room for a case, new heatsink and even a Tahiti based card if you want.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My External is an SSD and holds about 600 gb... im not too worried about that
mainly GPU/CPU, ill probably have about 12 gb ram if i pull what i have out of my other computers, i have a couple 4gb sticks, but iv used mainly laptops so they have a max of 2 sticks... desktops have more slots if im correct

EDIT:
Tustin microcenter is a few miles away from my work
smile.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
Feel free to take a look at my build. I just completed initial build phase a couple weeks ago. Currently running 2600k OC'ed at 4.7 with a GTX 560 Ti, with the option to run SLI in the near future. My budget was similar to yours but I needed a few of the parts you already have.

Goodluck and have fun.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
theyre 'normal' ram sticks im pretty sure, ill have to check when i get home

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Don't mix and match RAM! It might work fine, but it might cause some headaches, too. Memory is so cheap it's not even funny. An 8 GB set for $40 and good to go...

Awesome you are near a MC, I bought my CPU at MC and ordered my board from the egg. MC does have a great deal on CPU/Motherboard for 2500k, but they usually don't carry any Z68 board's atleast Rockville, MD Microcenter didn't.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Agreed, keep your RAM similar. It is way too cheap right now not to just buy a new set, and you will still be within budget. Also, this seems really dumb to ask, but your SSD isn't USB right? Just want to double check to make sure. Lol.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts