Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OCN! So I just finished building my gal a gaming rig and I've come across a bit of a problem. Last night she called me and said that the computer was shutting off every 5 minutes or so. Well she calls this morning and says the things won't turn on at all. No lights, no fans, no noise, no nothing. Here are her specs

-AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX - Retail
-BIOSTAR TA790GXB A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
-G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Retail
-XFX Nvidia 8800 GT (from my old system)
-Some random PSU 650w (from my old system and was working flawlessly)
-Stock fans all around

Two days ago I was on this thing all day without a hiccup. But now she can't get anything. She has tried different outlets and what not and still nothing.

Is this a PSU issue? Maybe a cooling issue? What do you all think? Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guamon
View Post

maybe you got some wires mixed up

Hey, literally nothing changed from when it was working perfectly to not turning on at all. (she's too scared to mess with anything haha)

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
well you would never know until you go get that pc and try your self.. it seems like a PSU thing.. yet you will never know until you have a look.

·
Layer 8 issue
324 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by plact10
View Post

-Some random PSU 650w (from my old system and was working flawlessly)

Check or replace the power supply.

Make sure she didn't switch the I/O to off on the back of the PSU

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by .XiLe.
View Post

Check or replace the power supply.

Make sure she didn't switch the I/O to off on the back of the PSU

haha that is the first thing I asked her!!! (i felt bad saying, "well is it plugged in, hun?")

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:
So now she can turn it on but it shuts off every 5 minutes. Sometimes it won't turn on when she tries but once its booted it only lasts about 5 minutes. I've had her check all the cables and the ram and the problem persists.

·
Registered
109 Posts
could be the PSU isnt cooled enough
i had a similar problem with some pc i built in an antec 900
the psu is located at the bottom, and had 1 120mm fan on top of the psu
(as it was mounted in the antec)

now he has 2x asus gtx 275 in sli, and those are pretty big cards..
but.. the lower card hovers right over the PSU fan, so the PSU cant suck enough air
and gets overheated.. the rig also shuts down after a few minutes of gaming (700w psu)
i had to disable SLI to temp fix it, that way less power gets consumed and psu stays cooler
just ordered a PSU with its fan on the side, improving PSU airflow, hope it helps
i suggest u check the airflow, try benching it make it suffer (prime95)
and check if the air coming out of the PSU is hotter than normal..
if it is u got one of these probs: not enough airflow, or, overload
either way, get an other, more powerfull PSU

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after a new Corsair 750w PSU and a better heat sink, I think the problem is solved. Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by plact10 View Post
So after a new Corsair 750w PSU and a better heat sink, I think the problem is solved. Thanks everyone for the help!
It was the PSU, I knew it. It happened to me when I had wires touching, You just simply didnt have enough power combined for the whole machine. Glad you got it worked out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts