Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Twin Turbski
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@pioneerisloud (from extremehw.net) gets a shout out for helping me build this up through recommendations and consultation.
This started when I blew the sub for my Z-5500 system. To replace it, I decided to go ahead with a home theater system custom option instead. It's been really fun learning the ropes of designing an audio system and sort of customizing everything.

Specs:
7 x 105w Yamaha A/V receiver RX-V863
4 x 63w Logitech THX satellite speakers (from z5500 kit) 250w RMS
1 x 150w
RMS Klipsch RM-62II center speaker (600w max power handling)
2 x 400w Klipsch R12-SW 12" front firing subwoofers

Only thing left to add is two additional RM-62s and call it a day. Enjoy!

New 12" subwoofer (2nd one)

Logitech THX satellite speakers really punch above their weight class

You can just make out the other subwoofer on the other side of the desk.

Neighbors are going to hate me.

·
Twin Turbski
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it. :whistle:
2nd subwoofer is hooked up and dialed in. All i can say is WOW!
😵

The "thud" can only be matched up to something like firing a 16" gun from a battle ship. It is absolutely INSANE how much power there is on tap with these subwoofers. The second subwoofer was the final step needed to fully resonate in the space I'm in, which is totally great.

·
WaterCooler
5,268 Posts
Wow looks awesome, and yeah pio knows his stuff.

• Rep+
Reactions: storm-chaser

·
Twin Turbski
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be careful with the volume over time, hearing loss can happen fast
say what??? jk lol

It's okay, the state of the union is bad. The country will be destroyed before hearing loss can take hold.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
2nd subwoofer is hooked up and dialed in. All i can say is WOW!
😵

The "thud" can only be matched up to something like firing a 16" gun from a battle ship. It is absolutely INSANE how much power there is on tap with these subwoofers. The second subwoofer was the final step needed to fully resonate in the space I'm in, which is totally great.
You, sir, are a madman, and I absolutely love it! :cool: The paper-thin walls here in most buildings preclude me from even thinking about a setup like that...

·
Twin Turbski
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don't get it, why don't you upgrade the speakers instead of using bottom of the barrel computer speakers? You did everything else.
sigh
Are you familiar with Logitech's z5500 system? It's arguably their most powerful computer sound system ever released. It's the high end offering. And they are very good actually, when paired with a powerful receiver, like the one I have. But I'm not defending them, I'm just using them until I can budget my next speaker purchase.
Also re-read the thread title and identify the spot where I said "almost complete"
Then go back and re read the first post where I said I was going to add two more RM-62s to complete the system.

·
WaterCooler
5,268 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am not trying your hurt your feelings, just saying that what you have right now is REALLY unbalanced. And for the record, no, the z5500 are garbage. Computer speakers as a whole are all garbage, that's why they are computer speakers lol.

·
Twin Turbski
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am not trying your hurt your feelings, just saying that what you have right now is REALLY unbalanced. And for the record, no, the z5500 are garbage. Computer speakers as a whole are all garbage, that's why they are computer speakers lol.
LOL you didn't hurt my feelings. You just failed to read the entire post, so I pointed out what you missed.

Computer speakers as a whole are garbage but this is the exception. z5500 satellites respond very well to a little more power, for the record.

But as I mentioned before, they are only a temporary solution until I can add two more RM-62s. Get it? Got it? Good!

·
Registered
323 Posts
@pioneerisloud (from extremehw.net) gets a shout out for helping me build this up through recommendations and consultation.
This started when I blew the sub for my Z-5500 system. To replace it, I decided to go ahead with a home theater system custom option instead. It's been really fun learning the ropes of designing an audio system and sort of customizing everything.

Specs:
7 x 105w Yamaha A/V receiver RX-V863
4 x 63w Logitech THX satellite speakers (from z5500 kit) 250w RMS
1 x 150w
RMS Klipsch RM-62II center speaker (600w max power handling)
2 x 400w Klipsch R12-SW 12" front firing subwoofers

Only thing left to add is two additional RM-62s and call it a day. Enjoy!

New 12" subwoofer (2nd one)

Logitech THX satellite speakers really punch above their weight class

You can just make out the other subwoofer on the other side of the desk.

Neighbors are going to hate me.
It looks like the place you have your speakers set up looks like a basement / garage , did your wife kick you out of the house because you gave her a headache from the loud noises lol ?

·
Twin Turbski
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I'm permanently in the dog house from this racket. But could you really blame them? lol

Not really tho. the truth is, I only play it very loud when everyone is out of the house.

In terms of the garage question, it's actually the first floor of the house so it's where my shop is for working on cars and whatnot.

I could bring all my computer stuff upstairs, but I already have a few up there and this is where I'm spending most of the time. I can multitask here and then work out front with the tunes playing at the same time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, I'm permanently in the dog house from this racket. But could you really blame them? lol

Not really tho. the truth is, I only play it very loud when everyone is out of the house.

In terms of the garage question, it's actually the first floor of the house so it's where my shop is for working on cars and whatnot.

I could bring all my computer stuff upstairs, but I already have a few up there and this is where I'm spending most of the time. I can multitask here and then work out front with the tunes playing at the same time.
Ah good deal in that case :) thumbs up

·
Registered
833 Posts
Very nice. My Klipsch 2.1 media set was picking up the neighbor's ham radio (I would hear loud noises from my office in the middle of the night) and I did a major audio upgrade in my living room so I had some parts to start a system for the office. I repurposed my old Polk CS20, TSI 100s for the fronts, Klipsch SPL 120 for sub and added Polk T15 for surrounds and Polk OMW3s for heights/Atmos. I reused my Yamaha V685 receiver as well and have a ghost monitor running from the PC on it. I clone it with my secondary monitor when I run dual monitors and have a ghost display when I am using my secondary monitor for work only as it doesn't take the 165hz signal well when cloned causing the main screen to black out.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Very nice. My Klipsch 2.1 media set was picking up the neighbor's ham radio (I would hear loud noises from my office in the middle of the night) and I did a major audio upgrade in my living room so I had some parts to start a system for the office. I repurposed my old Polk CS20, TSI 100s for the fronts, Klipsch SPL 120 for sub and added Polk T15 for surrounds and Polk OMW3s for heights/Atmos. I reused my Yamaha V685 receiver as well and have a ghost monitor running from the PC on it. I clone it with my secondary monitor when I run dual monitors and have a ghost display when I am using my secondary monitor for work only as it doesn't take the 165hz signal well when cloned causing the main screen to black out.
Very nice setup, what you are missing is one of those swanky ulatrwide curved screen monitors 34-42inch for a full immersion experience instead of those two monitors you have now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You know what your next upgrade should be?

Sensible speaker placement.
You know, to get proper stereo (or with that many satellites: surround) imaging and stuff?
After that I would go for corrective DSP and if applicable room treatment, that setup screams "uncontrolled modal bass" to me.

• Rep+
Reactions: Steffek

·
Twin Turbski
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You know what your next upgrade should be?

Sensible speaker placement.
You know, to get proper stereo (or with that many satellites: surround) imaging and stuff?
After that I would go for corrective DSP and if applicable room treatment, that setup screams "uncontrolled modal bass" to me.
No way! Speaker placement matters? I never knew! Thanks so much for pointing that out! lol, the satellite speakers normally go around my desk but if I play it really loud, I move them over there to avoid getting hit directly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No way! Speaker placement matters? I never knew! Thanks so much for pointing that out!
We aim to please, good sir. :'D

On a more serious note: there was no way for me to know, since they were placed awkwardly in all pics.

• Rep+
Reactions: Steffek
1 - 20 of 23 Posts