Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So I finally have my new rig (see sig) up and running. Thanks to many people on OCN, I think I made a good purchase. Now, I want to check it and make sure everything is running as it should and also want to tweak it to get more power out of it.

Where should I begin? I have only overclocked a GPU and that is it. I know nothing about OC'ing cpu's...

Anyone have any suggestions for a good starting point or guide based on what my specs are?

Thanks guys (and gals!)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks outofbalance! Sounds too simple though! how much should I increase my multiplier by each time and how about my voltage? And what is the max safe voltage for the 2600k? I want this cpu to last least 4 years....
Any suggestions on what program to test stability and temps? Prime95? Thanks again!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good deal. Looking at the name of your sig rig, sounds like we are in the same boat... This is my cpu for gaming on BF3 so I'm trying to get it working really nice.

So how much is too much voltage? Also, any idea how much to increase the voltage or multiplier each time?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKATTACK;14259452
Good deal. Looking at the name of your sig rig, sounds like we are in the same boat... This is my cpu for gaming on BF3 so I'm trying to get it working really nice.

So how much is too much voltage? Also, any idea how much to increase the voltage or multiplier each time?
how much is too much is a common question around here, I personally think 1.4 is too much others will say 1.45 and 1.5 though.

increase 1 step at a time. you can probably skip to 40x and start from there with stock voltage

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good deal. Well I downloaded prime95 and was going to test my system before making any changes. HOwever, I have no idea how to use this program. Do I need to login to their server to "Get work"? I started the blended torture test but I don't really see any indication of anything working...how do I know if the progr is working? Also, do I need to run 2 instances of Prime95 since I have a HT enabled processor? many thanks for your help!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos07
View Post

CPU ---- > Memory ------> GPU

Never all at once, lol.

not sure what you mean...is the blended all at once?

·
Registered
671 Posts
hwmonitor is a great program to use. It is free and available online, it is just an exe, so you don't even have to install it. I have it on a jumpdrive.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I let the uefi of my mobo do my overclocking for me. I'm running at 4.8 and the vcore is about 1.401 at the max. I'm running about 84 max when running 5 passes on IBT on the very high setting.

So is this a good thing to leave or should I try and bring temp and vcore down some? Could I go higher? I have heard the auto overclocking things introduces too much voltage. Also, there are a ton of other voltage readings which I have no idea what they are (DRAM, VCCSC or something and many more)? Any ofthese I need to pay particular attention to?

·
Intel Overclocker
659 Posts
You should use your own manual settings. keep in mind high voltages leads to degrading of the cpu. I personally plan on keeping my rig for a long time so I overclocked as much as I could WITHOUT raising the voltage. (2.66ghz -> 3.62ghz) I am completely satisfied with this and consider it a very healthy overclock.

also how hot you allow your cpu to get is up to you. Seeing that gaming will not stress a cpu as much as intel burn test, its doubtful you would break 80c gaming. These are completely safe temperatures but I personally dont like allowing my cpu to get that hot. Mine never breaks 70c. Heat also leads to degrading but obviously that wont come into play short term.

Dont let my degrading comments make you paranoid. I just dont want you to overclock to 5+ ghz without knowing the risks. Degrading is not something that happens overnight.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well you need to have your DRAMvoltage match whatever is on your ram...which is 1.5 if I'm not mistaken. As far as other voltages I'm not sure...I'm AMD and have no experience overclocking Intel, not that I wouldn't if I had the chance or money.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If your CPU frequency is not stable, its usually pretty apparent right away when you stress/use your machine, but voltages can be tricky, unless its blatantly off what it should be.

You can spend 12 hours stressing with P95 which doesn't crash, and you could be on the net a week later and the thing dies, when your getting close to your optimal voltage, it can take a while to get it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. I don't mind upping the voltage a bit. However, I did just find out that my system may have passed IBT fine, but definitely not Prime95. I started Prime95 and everything was fine. I started running the test and then stopped them and exited out of the program to check something. I turned Realtemp on and then opened up Prime95 again and it crashed to a BSOD immediately. It seems like P95 never crashes when running, only when opening the program. Is this normal? Where do I go from here? Did I get any valuable info from the auto OC...other than I need to bump my vcore up? There are just so many options in the OC Tweaker section of my UEFI that I have no idea what can/should be adjusted and what shouldn't.

Also, do my fans automatically increase in RPM's as needed depending on the heat?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts