Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a new computer for the church I works at... i don't want it to play games, i dont want to overclock it, i dont need alot of stuff, and gotta keep it under 500

http://inosis.sytes.net/uploads/newcomp.htm

We use a laptop now and its a AMD athlon xp at 900 and some odd MHz with 192MB of ram, and the ram runs out alot...

remember, this isnt for games!! or overclocking!!!

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
why not a just a cheap Emachines system? Theres ones here in canada for only $399 for the whole setup, which is like $299 in U.S right?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
get a Sempron or Celeron with 512MB of memory and a PCI graphics card, how hard can that be?

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a sempron is the same as an Athlon Xp pretty much, do you know if it will work with the motherboard I picked out? I'm pretty sure they should be able to work with any right?

edit: i checked out Emachines and you have to get a rebate, and it comes with 256MB and then I'll have to share that with the intel extreme, then I'll have 192 available, and I'm back to where I started.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnmcgrail

why not a just a cheap Emachines system? Theres ones here in canada for only $399 for the whole setup, which is like $299 in U.S right?

Oh my God, I would have bet thousands that no one would EVER sugest buying an E-machine, but there you go!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Sempron is to replace the Duron, it's Socket A so I would assume it would fit a Socket A board

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
ya well, its supposed to replace a laptop right? and you just want a comp to do ordinary tasks, so just buy a pre-built system that comes with monitor and all that stuff? and if its really cheap just buy another stick of value ram off of ebay? lol

·
Registered
698 Posts
and most boards probably have a BIOS update out that allows them to recognize Semprons if they didnt from the Get Go.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well we have a 21" monitor already, and I'll need two VGA ports... (i have a DVI-2-VGA conv)

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
ya, well then buy a 5200 with dual VGA out, well then it would be better to just buy items seperate then go pre-built, I retract my previous statement about the pre-built... lol

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a DVI to VGA converter so it doesnt matter to me, and that card was the cheapest 5200 i saw...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts