Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finnaly built my whole computer, and when I boot it up it frist shows a black screen saying your computer hasnt been shut down corectly blah blah, which mode do you want to start in blah blah. If I select one, any one, it goes to a blue screen error basically saying scan for viruses, check to make harddrive is formatted, blah. I have switched all the components out with my other computer to make sure they work and they all do including the hard drive which has all of my files and an os on it. I have tried everything you can imagine to try and fix this problem, anybody have any suggestions. Oh, I have tried to start my computer from a startup floppy and the orgional CD. I can get into the bios too to mess around with them but I can't get it to load windows. Thx

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OzziKing

I have finnaly built my whole computer, and when I boot it up it frist shows a black screen saying your computer hasnt been shut down corectly blah blah, which mode do you want to start in blah blah. If I select one, any one, it goes to a blue screen error basically saying scan for viruses, check to make harddrive is formatted, blah. I have switched all the components out with my other computer to make sure they work and they all do including the hard drive which has all of my files and an os on it. I have tried everything you can imagine to try and fix this problem, anybody have any suggestions. Oh, I have tried to start my computer from a startup floppy and the orgional CD. I can get into the bios too to mess around with them but I can't get it to load windows. Thx

It sounds like some files were corrupted in the transfer of the drive, the easiest way to recover the files is to set that drive as a secondary on another systems and use the other system to pull the files that you need. The just reformat and reinstall windows on that drive to get back to were you were.

There may be a chance that the HDD is physically damaged, which would result in not being able to get the files and having to get a new HDD.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i would double check everything like do you have enough volts for the cpu.just have the ram on optimal ect..try that.and make sure everything is nice and tight.vcard ram ect..

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to two places today, one microtech where I got one answer and then bestbuy where I got another answer. I ended up just taking the 120 and putting it back in the Dell as master with the 80 as slave. Then I bought a 300GB Segate HD at bestbuy for 107 (I thought it was a great deal) and put it in my new computer. I am now trying to install windows xp. When I boot my system, it goes to a black screen saying what would you like to do,
Enter Boot Setup f2
Boot setup List f11
then when I hit f2 or f11 it just sits there thinking about what it wants to do, what is going on? At least I got one computer running again, ah long 2 days.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

I went to two places today, one microtech where I got one answer and then bestbuy where I got another answer. I ended up just taking the 120 and putting it back in the Dell as master with the 80 as slave. Then I bought a 300GB Segate HD at bestbuy for 107 (I thought it was a great deal) and put it in my new computer. I am now trying to install windows xp. When I boot my system, it goes to a black screen saying what would you like to do,
Enter Boot Setup f2
Boot setup List f11
then when I hit f2 or f11 it just sits there thinking about what it wants to do, what is going on? At least I got one computer running again, ah long 2 days.

OMG, 2 days have gone by and I still cannot get my computer to work, im out of ideas, stressed out, and am really wishing somebody I hate would come pisse me off so I can take my anger out on him.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Hmmm, did you check the jumpers on the hard drive to make sure it's set as either Master or Cable select. Or is it a SATA drive? Also check your bios options to make sure it's set up properly. I have never owned one of those boards, so I am not familiar with the bios. It sounds like a bios setting to me. What happens when you put the Windows cd in and boot up? Does it start the installation, meaning does it start to copy the setup files to the hard drive?

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SINISTER

i would double check everything like do you have enough volts for the cpu.just have the ram on optimal ect..try that.and make sure everything is nice and tight.vcard ram ect..

Spaces dude spaces...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

]Hmmm, did you check the jumpers on the hard drive to make sure it's set as either Master or Cable select. Or is it a SATA drive? Also check your bios options to make sure it's set up properly. I have never owned one of those boards, so I am not familiar with the bios. It sounds like a bios setting to me. What happens when you put the Windows cd in and boot up? Does it start the installation, meaning does it start to copy the setup files to the hard drive?

I agree, (oh by the way I HATE SATA drives) check your bios... and do me a favor check your bios shorter. Make sure it's not half attached (weird results can happen from this...) I doubt it's your HDD though. hmmm, from there that's the best I can say.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Hmmm, did you check the jumpers on the hard drive to make sure it's set as either Master or Cable select. Or is it a SATA drive? Also check your bios options to make sure it's set up properly. I have never owned one of those boards, so I am not familiar with the bios. It sounds like a bios setting to me. What happens when you put the Windows cd in and boot up? Does it start the installation, meaning does it start to copy the setup files to the hard drive?

Jumpers are set right and I cant even get into the damn bios, I keep gettin a black screen message that says exactly this...

AMIBIOS (c) 2003 American Megatrends, Inc.
P4v88 BIOS P1.60
CPU: Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU 3.00GHz
Speed: 3.00 GHz

Press F2 to enter setup
Press F11 for Boot Menu
Dual-Channel Memory Mode

Initializing USB Controllers . .

(C) American Megatrends, Inc.
62-160-0000010-(more numbers letters)

Anybody know how to do this, if i hit f2 or f11 my comp just sits there acting like its doing something it doesnt actually do anything. OMG IM GOING TO GO INSANE!

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Quote:

Jumpers are set right and I cant even get into the damn bios, I keep gettin a black screen message that says exactly this...

AMIBIOS (c) 2003 American Megatrends, Inc.
P4v88 BIOS P1.60
CPU: Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU 3.00GHz
Speed: 3.00 GHz

Press F2 to enter setup
Press F11 for Boot Menu
Dual-Channel Memory Mode

Initializing USB Controllers . .

(C) American Megatrends, Inc.
62-160-0000010-(more numbers letters)

Anybody know how to do this, if i hit f2 or f11 my comp just sits there acting like its doing something it doesnt actually do anything. OMG IM GOING TO GO INSANE!

HOLY ****, Last night I was up till 3 am working on my the same exact computer with AMIBIOS. Some freak accident happened and after replacing all the hardware we tried messing with the bios (by shortening them) and then everything worked fine. Though our problem was the fact the video wasn't showing up (both agp and pci) so we just tried that after 3 hours and work and wala so Don't ask me. But don't knock it till you try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts