Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a new cooler for overclocking, should I go for the Coolermaster Hyper 212+, or the Scythe Mugen II Rev.B? Its for an AM3 cpu.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Both are excellent high C/P ratio coolers. Mugen 2 performs a little stronger but is also a little more expensive.

So, either one is a good choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks. Is the difference noticable? The 212+ is about $30 cheaper where I am so if the difference is negligible then I'll just go for that.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AceDeAce View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a new cooler for overclocking, should I go for the Coolermaster Hyper 212+, or the Scythe Mugen II Rev.B? Its for an AM3 cpu.

Thanks
The Hyper 212+ is the best bang for the buck at around $25.50 shipped at ewiz.com.

However, I also like the Kingwin XT-1264 which performs on par with the Xiggy Dark Knight for generally around $20 shippped from Mwave.com. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't support push/pull fan configuration out of the box and you have to use zip ties.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks.

Just noticed the Zalman CNPS 9500, what about that one? It's price is in between the 212+ and the Scythe.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AceDeAce View Post
Okay, thanks.

Just noticed the Zalman CNPS 9500, what about that one? It's price is in between the 212+ and the Scythe.
It's an older cooler and it looks nice but it's cooling can't really keep up a lot with the newer coolers out there. The tower coolers do a better job as well.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX View Post
It's an older cooler and it looks nice but it's cooling can't really keep up a lot with the newer coolers out there. The tower coolers do a better job as well.
I agree.

Zalman CNPS 9500 is a little dated now. It is not a bad cooler at its era but now it just cannot compete with 212+. One hard-to-fix weakness is its built-in fan which cannot be replaced/upgraded easily. And its fan is only a 92mm (vs 120mm) one.

So, I say, unless you fall for its look or somehow you can get one at a ridiculously low price, then it should not be considered.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks. I think ill go with the Coolermaster. Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts