Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to upgrade my CPU. I currently have an 1800+. I'm planning on doing a moderate amount of overclocking, so I'm planning on get the mobile 2400-2600. Right now I'm considering this one from Excalibur since they put guarantee the steppings: http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_i...oducts_id=3767

Would that be a good recommendation?

Also, what would be the best fan/heatsink combo for me? I'm not planning on really cranking up the juice, but I'd like to be able to hit at least 2.4 ghz. I've been trying to see what other people have on the forums, but there are so many combinations and opinions its hard to tell. Like I said, I don't need OPTIMUM performance, but I would like something fairly decent.

Finally, for cooling products, what are some good websites that have good prices?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Get that CPU and a compatible Thermalright Heatsink and a Tornado fan and your set!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

instead of the volcanogo for a thermalright sp-97 and a vantec tornado and some artic silver 5

I know the sp-97 has gotten a bunch of recommendations from many of the people here, but how does it compare to the volcano? Is the volcano a decent cooling option? It seems like the sp-97 is top of the line for cooling, but what about the volcano? Besides, I can't find any sp-97s in stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

sp-97 top amd skt A heatsink. Volcano isnt that great from the basic AMD heatsink.

OK, since the SP-97 is such a highly recommended heatsink I decided to see if I could find one. No luck. I tried every single site on this web page:

http://www.thermalright.com/where_default.htm

Every single one is out of stock because Thermalright is discontinuing the SP-97. Since there are no more to be found, what should I get? Unless someone has one they'd like to sell me then I need something to replace that idea. One person recommended the Volcano and one person said don't. What to do?

Could people please give me suggestions of both a heatsink AND a fan to go with it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phronemophobiak

OK, since the SP-97 is such a highly recommended heatsink I decided to see if I could find one. No luck. I tried every single site on this web page:

http://www.thermalright.com/where_default.htm

Every single one is out of stock because Thermalright is discontinuing the SP-97. Since there are no more to be found, what should I get? Unless someone has one they'd like to sell me then I need something to replace that idea. One person recommended the Volcano and one person said don't. What to do?

Could people please give me suggestions of both a heatsink AND a fan to go with it?

Thanks!

yeah man i been trying to get the sp-97 but it's never on stock on newegg shiat could never find it execpt ebay but then again ebay is ebay

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ok im an owner of a Volcano 12+, and 2400+
You guys gotta get your stuff straight.
First - There is no point of buying that CPU from excaliber becuase its a 35W mobile & steppings DO NOT matter, the have the same thing @ newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-439&depa=0 . I would highly recommond a 2600 mobile from excalibur because of its guarenteed stepping and its 45W so that does make a difference
Second - the Volcano 12+ sucks, get a thermalright sp-97, if u can find one. Otherwise i would recommend a Aero Cool HT-101.

·
Registered
245 Posts
get the si-97 which is the sp-97's replacement from thermalright. HeatSink FActory sells for 34.99 and get you a mid range 92mm fan for another $11. Or you can go with a Tornado, but they are LOUD!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weasel70

get the si-97 which is the sp-97's replacement from thermalright. HeatSink FActory sells for 34.99 and get you a mid range 92mm fan for another $11. Or you can go with a Tornado, but they are LOUD!

OK, I went ahead and purchased basically everything you just named right before you posted.

I got the SI-97 and a Tornado along with the 2600 mobile. That should be able to OC to about 2.4 or 2.5, right?

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts