Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says... I have a Vantec Aeroflow FX120 and it's slightly too long (wide?) for my case.

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2327&page=2

Can I cut the ends off the pipes? Are they simply hollow copper pipes? Will it have any noticable effect of the efficiency.

I guess another option is to cut six holes in the perspex side of the case for the ends of the pipe to push through. This might be a problem though as the side of the case slides into position.

So, hacksaw... yes or no?

Thanks a lot

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
If you cut the pipes, you effectively nullify the purpose of the pipes.

Do you still want to do it?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
If you cut the pipes, then this will no longer do what it's supposed to do. You'd end up finding stock cooling to be a much better performer than this with the ends of the pipes cut off.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
DO NOT CUT THE HEATPIPES IT WILL MAKE YOUR COOLER NOT PERFORM AS IT SHOULD!!!!!

Heatpipes work by having a small amount of liquid inside the pipes that gets turned to gas form when it gets hot, and evaporates to the top of the heatpipes, and then cools again into a liquid because of the airflow of your fan.

Read the Wiki article on them.

Cutting the side of your case should not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
NO

definitely don't hack off the pipes Op, the whole reason that they are there is to transfer the heat from the cpu into the larger volume of the heatsink where the cooling fins are. cut the case instead, or better yet, create your own sidepanel out of acrilic from a local shop like i did

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
HAHAHA, OMG NO!

Man, If I can find it I will post a very funny Newegg review.

EDIT: I couldn't find it, but basically this guy was saying that his cooler didn't fit so he sawed off the tops of the heat pipes, and oh noes, they weren't solid copper! And the cooling performance sucked!

It still makes me laugh.

Heat pipes work b/c they have a mesh wick and liquid. The liquid heats up, turns to vapor, goes up the pipes, is cooled, condenses and follows the wicking back to the bottom. Rinse, repeat. You'll mess up your cooler if you take the tops of the pipes off.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
HAHAHA, OMG NO!

Man, If I can find it I will post a very funny Newegg review.
Yeah, I bet it would cause makecoldplayhistory to feel really good...

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Yeah, I bet it would cause makecoldplayhistory to feel really good...
Well hopefully he didn't come here to feel good, he came here for some very relevant info.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
Well hopefully he didn't come here to feel good, he came here for some very relevant info.
I almost posted the Newegg review too. But I didn't want to make fun of him, so I avoided it.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all. I don't mind being laughed at

I thought that the pipes would be hollow and their purpose would be to transfer the heat from the CPU to the fins. Obviously to provide some cooling themselves, but mostly to transfer the heat to the fins.

Glad I asked.

I had a Vantec FX90 which broke. The shop were out of stock but gave me the FX120 as an unboxed (but as new), non-returnable replacement.

I can't afford a new case - I've prioritized and am saving for a Phenom II X4 955.

I guess a side-of-the-case mod is the better option.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer
View Post

It's all good natured. I got my questions answered and couldn't help but smile at my own 'dumbness'

Now I'm searching Newegg. I'd love to read any responses to the "I hack sawed and now the performance sucks" review.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by makecoldplayhistory
View Post

It's all good natured. I got my questions answered and couldn't help but smile at my own 'dumbness'

Now I'm searching Newegg. I'd love to read any responses to the "I hack sawed and now the performance sucks" review.

hahaha well glad we could help

rule #1 don't trust all of the newegg reviews

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by makecoldplayhistory
View Post

I know that it was for one of the HDT coolers. Perhaps it was for one of the Xiggies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts