Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I have posted a problem at http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...omputer-4.html and couldn't find a solution for it, and so I'm willing to buy a new motherboard, rams, processor and its cooler.

I want to take one of those XFX or EVGA X58 motherboards, I want a compromise between price and performance, any advices? or something better?

I have been seeing on 3D Mark Vantage that Intel Xeon is breaking the records, am I supposed to take core i7 975 or some Xeon (please specify Xeon, I don't know them yet)?

about the cooler of the processor, I heard about "Heat killer" and its good reputation, I don't understand how it works, I saw that it costs 70 Euros, is that it? or are there any other components to be bought and attached?

About rams also, anything to know more than these rams being 2000 MHz?

Thank you guys

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Check out the foxconn bloodrage. Seems to be a very nice board since foxconn makes everything.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
hmm the EVGA x58 is one of the best right now, but can't remember which revision.. btw the heatkiller is a Water-Cooling block, you might need some advice and do some research if ur going water cooling (custom prefered).. and the Xeon/975.. it doesnt matter imho, if u got the $$, go for the 975.. the Xeon that break the vantage record was probably a good overclockable chip..

·
Registered
684 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? If you are looking @ a 975 I'm assuming budget is not the biggest concern. In that case.

Get an evga Classified motherboard, best OC'ing mobo made x58.

And the 975, I wouldn't worry about a Xeon, even if they do win out slightly, you'd never notice.

Wish I could help ya on the ram, but I'm unfamiliar w/ the ddr3 kits.

As far as a cooler, IFX-14 or megahalems would be the best bet. The heatkiller is a water block, you would be spending a minimum of $250-300usd for a good cpu only loop, and it takes alot of time, patience, and reading to pull off without risking your entire pc, due to this I would not recomend based on your previous posts(Please don't take offense, it just appears a lack of patience is present that would cause issues down the road)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the advice,

Actually I don't know how risky using water cooling may be, but if it's as you're saying then I can forget about it, because as you said I'm not so patience, provided that I keep my computer open and I change a lot of things in it periodically.

I have Asus Silent Knight 2 Cooler, is that good enough? or should I get something specific for i7?

and about the motherboard, what's the difference between EVGA classified and the normal X58?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDestroyer
View Post

Thank you guys for the advice,

Actually I don't know how risky using water cooling may be, but if it's as you're saying then I can forget about it, because as you said I'm not so patience, provided that I keep my computer open and I change a lot of things in it periodically.

I have Asus Silent Knight 2 Cooler, is that good enough? or should I get something specific for i7?

and about the motherboard, what's the difference between EVGA classified and the normal X58?

Thanks

for an i7... the best CPU Cooler right now is the Thermalright Ultra-120/ Prolimatech Megahalems.. and paired them up with some good Scythe/Yate's with 100CFM's.. well i cant really tell the differences since i've only used 1 board xD.. but the Rampage II Extreme is also a good mobo.. well theres also another overkill mobo, ASUS P6T7 WS and P6T6.. u can't go wrong with picking either one =).. most X58 boards (manufactured by ASUS,EVGA,Gigabyte) are pretty good

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reiben05
View Post

for an i7... the best CPU Cooler right now is the Thermalright Ultra-120/ Prolimatech Megahalems.. and paired them up with some good Scythe/Yate's with 100CFM's.. well i cant really tell the differences since i've only used 1 board xD.. but the Rampage II Extreme is also a good mobo.. well theres also another overkill mobo, ASUS P6T7 WS and P6T6..

IFX-14 and the Mugen 2 both beat both of those HS's if I recall, IFX-14 can mount 3 fans, making it a total monster.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Djghost454
View Post

IFX-14 and the Mugen 2 both beat both of those HS's if I recall, IFX-14 can mount 3 fans, making it a total monster.

yeah but results vary imo.. some cases that hsf wins.. sometimes the other one wins.. etc..etc.. although i would still prefer a Black TRUE-120 since i've owned one before.. looks so much better too

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, and LoL dmreeves, am I supposed to say it in a specific way

You haven't told me guys, what's the different between normal EVGA x58 and classified EVGA x58?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Djghost454
View Post

AFAIK the IFX-14 does but the Mugen 2 doesn't. If it was me and I was strapped for cash I'd grab the Mugen 2, otherwise I'd get the Megahalem. The IFX-14 is the best but a bit costly with all 3 fans on it and of course the cost of the cooler itself.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDestroyer View Post
Thanks guys, and LoL dmreeves, am I supposed to say it in a specific way

You haven't told me guys, what's the different between normal EVGA x58 and classified EVGA x58?
its the revision.. i cant remember thou.. i think the first one was the best.. might need to ask fellow EVGA X58 experts xD

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Classified is actually way more expensive, by 150 Euro, it costs 380 Euros! very crazy price!

The question is whether it deserves that crazy money!?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually I have no idea at all how to overclock my processor, it would be very nice if you give me the first lesson

Does 3D Mark tell what falls behind? how?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts