Overclock.net banner

9761 - 9780 of 9955 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Can a new GPU throw off a memory OC?

I had my system running fine with a 1080 Ti and a 2080 Ti. After installing a 3080 with PCI-E 4, there was a boot error about the video card after the initial post boot. Upon returning to bios default or XMP profile, the beep went away.

I had to back down from 3733 CL14 to 3600 CL14. Any insight on this? The motherboard did bark at me stating that SOC over voltages can mess up a GEN 4 PCI-E. I'm assuming that the 3080 being PCI-E 4.0 has thrown this off?
Are you using CSM?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'm thinking it might be a faulty video card issue. :(

Here's a video
I'm at 3600 CL14 and PC works fine. Did hours of stress test with GPU OC.

When I oc now my memory now the beers happen.

It's the memory for sure. One of the settings isn't playing well with my GPU. Perhaps more people will run into this issue soon when more people get their hands on the 3080 and put it in a CH8

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can a new GPU throw off a memory OC?

I had my system running fine with a 1080 Ti and a 2080 Ti. After installing a 3080 with PCI-E 4, there was a boot error about the video card after the initial post boot. Upon returning to bios default or XMP profile, the beep went away.

I had to back down from 3733 CL14 to 3600 CL14. Any insight on this? The motherboard did bark at me stating that SOC over voltages can mess up a GEN 4 PCI-E. I'm assuming that the 3080 being PCI-E 4.0 has thrown this off?
Whats your SOC voltage?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Overclock the World
1,907 Posts
PCIe 4.0 can and does affect maximum fabric clock on Matisse and Renoir
Usually the Matisse lockdown @ 1900 was to fix IF crashing at 2000Mhz
Another option to work against it, where the lack of lanes on the Mobile Renoir CPUs

Change it down to PCIe 3.0, you at best would lose a bit of membandwidth on it
This ~6% can be offset by pushing core freq a bit higher and mem a bit down
Also DDR OC will make up for the loss of VRAM throughput @KingEngineRevUp

Another option is to push VDDG IOD a tad higher, but you shouldnt crash below 3800FCLK soo unsure what the issue is
Not enough content provided
A real bandwidth issue would only be the 3090 and anything AMD related exceeding ~700GB/s

·
Registered
932 Posts
So guys its time to consider jumping off the x370 train and onto something newer in anticipation of Zen3.

As I have in my posession 4 x 8GB sticks of A2 Vipers what motherboard are my best options ?

Ive been looking at the differences between X570 and B550 so I fully understand whats going on, though I have not found information if running 4 x 8GB A2 on B550 is any better/worse than on X570.

As ive been on MSI for a while now, I had a look at what is available in my budget range and the Unify seems to fulfill what I require, however was a little worried that people running the latest BIOS were experiencing worse RAM overclocking results then they did on previous BIOS's.

Though looking at the Google sheet below, it seems a high end motherboard is not required for reaching the uber clock/timings

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,816 Posts
So guys its time to consider jumping off the x370 train and onto something newer in anticipation of Zen3.

As I have in my posession 4 x 8GB sticks of A2 Vipers what motherboard are my best options ?

Ive been looking at the differences between X570 and B550 so I fully understand whats going on, though I have not found information if running 4 x 8GB A2 on B550 is any better/worse than on X570.

As ive been on MSI for a while now, I had a look at what is available in my budget range and the Unify seems to fulfill what I require, however was a little worried that people running the latest BIOS were experiencing worse RAM overclocking results then they did on previous BIOS's.

Though looking at the Google sheet below, it seems a high end motherboard is not required for reaching the uber clock/timings

I'm eyeing the Unify as well. Seems like the best board overall.

·
Overclock the World
1,907 Posts

Do you have to upgrade ?
What holds you back ?
Daisy Chain and 4*A2 are a very bad idea
You likely can figure it out, but it will push you to mem OC hell :)

This will help you for B550 boards
Although out of all of these, only the ITX and Infineon lineup are fine
X570 Tomahawk looks to be acceptable and has a TB3 header
For personally me, the whole B550 lineup is ... bad

You could just wait for X670
No really, why would you want to upgrade ?
X370 and X470 T-Topology are superior to Daisy Chain when it comes to 4 dimms OC, just need a bit more voltage
DaisyChain only would work, if you mix A0 with A2 dimms to offset overvolting the dimms
You'd pay more for a less than optimal result
Unless you can find a Fly-By Daisy Chain designed board, which can assign different memory voltages or different VTT_MEM to both A & B "channels"

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
PCIe 4.0 can and does affect maximum fabric clock on Matisse and Renoir
Usually the Matisse lockdown @ 1900 was to fix IF crashing at 2000Mhz
Another option to work against it, where the lack of lanes on the Mobile Renoir CPUs

Change it down to PCIe 3.0, you at best would lose a bit of membandwidth on it
This ~6% can be offset by pushing core freq a bit higher and mem a bit down
Also DDR OC will make up for the loss of VRAM throughput @KingEngineRevUp

Another option is to push VDDG IOD a tad higher, but you shouldnt crash below 3800FCLK soo unsure what the issue is
Not enough content provided
A real bandwidth issue would only be the 3090 and anything AMD related exceeding ~700GB/s
Thank you very much. I really appreciate this insight. I have decided just to stick to 3600 CL14. It's not that much worse than 3733 CL14 that I had it at.

I'm just afraid of spending hours tinkering with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Latest agesa allowed me to do GDM off with 4x8, but only CR2. Switching to CR1 results in couple errors to pop within a hour. I think I tried everything but increasing vdimm, because it gives worse results, I guess due to temp going over 43C.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Do you have to upgrade ?
What holds you back ?
Daisy Chain and 4*A2 are a very bad idea
You likely can figure it out, but it will push you to mem OC hell :)

This will help you for B550 boards
Although out of all of these, only the ITX and Infineon lineup are fine
X570 Tomahawk looks to be acceptable and has a TB3 header
For personally me, the whole B550 lineup is ... bad

You could just wait for X670
No really, why would you want to upgrade ?
X370 and X470 T-Topology are superior to Daisy Chain when it comes to 4 dimms OC, just need a bit more voltage
DaisyChain only would work, if you mix A0 with A2 dimms to offset overvolting the dimms
You'd pay more for a less than optimal result
Well, if I want to play with Zen3 then I am going to need to change motherboard as X370 is not going to be supported.

Yes, you have explained this before that 4 x 8GB A2 is not a good idea, but that is what I currently have until I purchase a set of Viper 4000 A0's.

So you are saying the quality of the VRMs on almost all B550 motherboards is lacking compared to their X570 counterparts...

Unless you can find a Fly-By Daisy Chain designed board, which can assign different memory voltages or different VTT_MEM to both A & B "channels"
Do these even exist ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I got a pair of 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz and I can't find the Nanya manufacturer in the calculator. Anyone got any idea what memory type I could use? My Thaiphoon report is attached as PDF.

Attachments

·
Untitled.jpg
880 Posts
what pcb revision do I select if mine comes up A1 on thaiphoon, its not an option in the calculator

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,816 Posts
what pcb revision do I select if mine comes up A1 on thaiphoon, its not an option in the calculator
Thaiphoon doesn't know the PCB revision. It tries to guess and fails.

·
Untitled.jpg
880 Posts
Is there a way to figure it out without pulling them out of the PC?

The model number is H5AN8G8NDJR-TFC
or F4-3600C16-8GVKC
single rank 4x8GB kit 3600 C16-19-19-39

Also why does my motherboard keep forcing the ram to 1.38v even at default xmp which should be 1.35v. I manually set 1.35v and it still says 1.35 in bios settings but then 1.38 in the side pane full of info and 1.38 again in hwinfo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why do my 4x8 B-dies negative scale with voltage over 1.43? Temps are around 43-45C, I have small fan for the ram. Does higher VDimm need adjusting CAD values?

·
Overclock the World
1,907 Posts
Well, if I want to play with Zen3 then I am going to need to change motherboard as X370 is not going to be supported.

Yes, you have explained this before that 4 x 8GB A2 is not a good idea, but that is what I currently have until I purchase a set of Viper 4000 A0's.

So you are saying the quality of the VRMs on almost all B550 motherboards is lacking compared to their X570 counterparts...

Do these even exist ??
Correct on the VRM assumption. They are horrible (OnSemi ones)
Some A320's back then used the same set
Renesas ISL 70 or 90A & Infineon TDA ~ as for Mosfets
Vishay of Renesas is a low end rebrand

And Renesas RAA / Infineon are acceptable VRM controller
Asus ASP1106 rebrand is a Richtec RT8877C. Unsure about their best ASP2006
The ASP1106G also apparently a RT8877C
While the flagship MSP one seem to be some awkward Mosfets
Never seen them around, but they seem to be optimised for very low powerconsumption
Looks like they are used in the automotive and cloud computing/server industry :unsure:

Anywho, yes
Most B550 boards just use rebranded low end Renesas (Vishay) and OnSemi setups
Which for a 200$ board with a similar "VRM setup" compared to old A320/B350 boards
Strongly underwhelming. At least the ITX AX boards use higher rated Renesas 70/90A mosfets and only the flagships going towards Infineon's

X570 Compared to that, is so much better - starting with the >250$ range and beyond using ISL (renesas higher tier) and infineon powerstages
Just not worth it, for a "PCIe 4.0 allowed by AMD" board without any need for increased chipset 4.0 cost, with such low end VRM setup ~ to cost twice as much as B350/B450 boards
At least they seems like look alright and the heatsinks are not cheap ~ H/W wise still low end ^^#

Don't give up on X370 yet, and reconsider X470 (maybe)
CSD mosfets are not far of OnSemi's quality, but at least when back then they stacked 10-12 of these
They still where cooler with lower ripple, than the OnSemi A320 conterpart
Guess both are really cheap - else i can't imagine why board partners still pick them and waste PCB space + lower signal integrity by populating the PCB with "less optimal options"

Fly-By topology, something Asus designed does exist
But i haven't seen it really
I mean still to this date, barely anyone cares for PCB Topology
It's just not optimal the Daisy Chain layout on it's own
Well looking from the perspective of 4 dimms usage
For 2 dimms, it's great :D

You might want to try to sell and upgrade to Dual Rank with an ITX board ~ if you want to strongly push memory OC
Or just go with X570 something
The X570 Tomahawk looks to be a well rounder, the unify is a more expensive stepup ~ but misses the TB3 header
ASRock awaits a RAZER lineup apparently (no more information than that)
But it's booring, idk myself what to recommend for 4 dimm users except for X370 + mods
Both Taichi's and CH6/CH7 are still going strong

·
Graphic Card Addiction
4,035 Posts
Figured I paste this in here....have a set of Patriot Viper 4000(B-die) I'm selling. Here is a link to the listing if anyone is interested:

·
AMD User Since 2003
92 Posts
Is there a way to figure it out without pulling them out of the PC?

The model number is H5AN8G8NDJR-TFC
or F4-3600C16-8GVKC
single rank 4x8GB kit 3600 C16-19-19-39

Also why does my motherboard keep forcing the ram to 1.38v even at default xmp which should be 1.35v. I manually set 1.35v and it still says 1.35 in bios settings but then 1.38 in the side pane full of info and 1.38 again in hwinfo
Best way to find out is to take one of the DIMMs out and look. Shouldn't take too long. Take pictures if you'd like.

As far as the vDIMM reading being off, this is normal. My Board does the same thing. A Gigabyte rep answered this a while back on Reddit and it basically comes down to slight inaccuracies in sensors. When you set 1.35V, the memory is getting ~1.35V.

Edit: Found the Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cmt280

9761 - 9780 of 9955 Posts