Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a wester digital 250GB drive ( older) and a seagate 500GB drive (new) In the past i have used the seagate for os and all program files and just used the western digital as a storage drive (pretty much like an external drive but internal...)

Im just curious since i sent the seagate in for RMA i will have to reinstall everything is there some sort of raid config i can do or is using them as totally seperate drives the most i could do with them? thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Don't put them in RAID. You'll lose 250GB. Any RAID config will use the smallest physical drive as the base size. Keeping them separate is the most efficient.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok since my 250GB drive is about 4 years old i gonna be donating it to a friends pc pretty soon and im going to be ordering 2 Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB drives.

I guessing i should then put those 2 in RAID 0 and then use the 500GB drive as a backup drive for special files.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 more question....

If i kept all 3 and put them in raid 5 whay would my total HD space be? (2 640 & 1 500)

If that were the case and i had 1 drive fail i would still retain all my information correct but the read and write speeds would be equlivent to the slowest drive...

does that all sound right im pretty new to anything hard drive related

1 - 4 of 4 Posts