Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.
Been reading through forums here for awhile and learned quite a bit.
listing my hardware and I'm looking for recommendations or advice. Beware of noobness?
Been buying these parts after I did as much research as I thought possible on each one.
Will be using this mostly as a gaming computer.
MB: Asrock X99 Extreme4
CPU: 5960X core intel I7

Graphics card: 2 GeForce GTX980ti 6GB acx 2.0+ XSPC: 980ti backplates

RAM: Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB

SSD: 2 Samsung 850 pro 128GB
Samsung pro 256GB samsung Evo 500GB WD 500GB hd.
Sound card: Sound blaster Z

Power Supply: EVGA 1200 Eco p2

Case: Storm Stryker
Fans : Antec TrueQuiet 2 LED fans front intake.
Watercooling Hardware
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 Watercooling Pump - w/ Speed Controller

Reservoir: Monsoon- haven't decided what color scheme yet.
GPU: XSPC razor full cover water blocks for 980/980ti and 2 slot flow bridge.

Radiator fans: 5 Noctuas NF F12 PWM in push.
Radiators: XT45 alphacool (Bottom intake) Xspc EX 240mm (Top exhaust) GTS120mm (Top back exhaust)

Barb fittings: 1/2 Bitspower
Tubing: Tygon.

·
Not New to OCN
1,745 Posts
1300W is a bit much even with all these components. I would say 900W-1000W is more appropriate.

I don't see why you would want two 128gb ssd's. I would say get an m.2 4x ssd for boot drive, and then add in a/some mechanical drive(s) for games/media/etc.

Dominator platinum ram is a bit overrated in my opinion, and also 32GB is a ton unless you plan on some seriously heavy programs. I rarely use more than 8gb of my 16gb myself.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
Besides the wattage overkill there is the fact that the G2 1300 watts does not have any kind of hybrid fan mode which means the fan is always on even in ilde.
The amount of people that complain about the noise on the 1300 watt G2 are not small.

Get a P2 1000 or 1200 watt instead those are much more quiet as they have do have hybrid fan mode on them.

Last why do you have such a tiny SSD?
SSD´s are dirt cheap these days so not getting at least a 256 GB would be pretty stupid if you plan to play games on your system.

Edit: the RAM as said already are overrated overhyped and overpriced and you can get RAM that are just as good for far less money.
Get a Kingston HyperX Fury or Savage kit or a Corsair Vengeance LPX kit instead.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Besides the wattage overkill there is the fact that the G2 1300 watts does not have any kind of hybrid fan mode which means the fan is always on even in ilde.
The amount of people that complain about the noise on the 1300 watt G2 are not small.

Get a P2 1000 or 1200 watt instead those are much more quiet as they have do have hybrid fan mode on them.

Last why do you have such a tiny SSD?
SSD´s are dirt cheap these days so not getting at least a 256 GB would be pretty stupid if you plan to play games on your system.

Edit: the RAM as said already are overrated overhyped and overpriced and you can get RAM that are just as good for far less money.
Get a Kingston HyperX Fury or Savage kit or a Corsair Vengeance LPX kit instead.
Just did some searching on 1300g2 psu and see where ppl are complaining about it's noise so I'll probably try return it for the 1200p2. Thanks for the info!

Tiny ssd..Thought 128GB was more than enough, no? I'll use one for OS and any other software. Had plans for getting 3 more as like to keep everything very organized and don't like to cram everything on same ssd or hd.
Did not look to see how much space arma2 and 3 games use but will check. Also will be playing star citizen, eve online, day z which is a mod. And 3-4 others.

Love the looks of the corsair platinum brand which is mainly reason I bought it. Plus cool led fans for cooling Ram. But I can see your point.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
Shadow of mordor just to name one game takes up 42 GB of space, GTA V is just as bad so if you want a drive to have your games on you are looking at a 240-256 GB as barebones minimum.
A 500-512 GB SSD would be much more useful if you plan to have more then a few games installed at once.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100cotton View Post

1300W is a bit much even with all these components. I would say 900W-1000W is more appropriate.

I don't see why you would want two 128gb ssd's. I would say get an m.2 4x ssd for boot drive, and then add in a/some mechanical drive(s) for games/media/etc.

Dominator platinum ram is a bit overrated in my opinion, and also 32GB is a ton unless you plan on some seriously heavy programs. I rarely use more than 8gb of my 16gb myself.
Reason I'm getting ssd because really dislike sounds a hd makes and ssd load games an such faster from what I've read. Also don't want to use the M.2 slot on motherboard it takes lanes away (or something to that effect) for gpu's. I'm not very technically inclined btw.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentLightning View Post

Reason I'm getting ssd because really dislike sounds a hd makes and ssd load games an such faster from what I've read. Also don't want to use the M.2 slot on motherboard it takes lanes away (or something to that effect) for gpu's. I'm not very technically inclined btw.
The CPU you picked has 40 PCI-E lanes and your cards uses 16 lanes which leaves you with 24 lanes.
Adding an M.2 SSD uses another 4 lanes which leave you with 20 lanes left.

Even if the video cards use 16 lanes each you could still have two M.2 SSD´s with no loss of speed on the video cards.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Shadow of mordor just to name one game takes up 42 GB of space, GTA V is just as bad so if you want an drive to have your games on you are looking at a 240-256 GB as barebones minimum.
A 500-512 GB SSD would be much more useful if you plan to have more then a few games installed at once.
Ok in that case I'll definitely get bigger ssd

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
See my last post if you have not seen it already.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

The CPU you picked has 40 PCI-E lanes and your cards uses 16 lanes which leaves you with 24 lanes.

Adding an M.2 SSD uses another 4 lanes which leave you with 20 lanes left.

Even if the video cards use 16 lanes each you could still have two M.2 SSD´s with no loss of speed on the video cards.
Thanks for clearing that up shilka:) Going to work so I'll see you guys later.

·
SFF Lover
1,915 Posts
I don't know if you've ordered parts already, but, if you haven't... GTX 1080 Ti's shouldn't be too far away. As well as Broadwell-E CPU's. It might be worth holding off the ordering process for another month or so.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post

I don't know if you've ordered parts already, but, if you haven't... GTX 1080 Ti's shouldn't be too far away. As well as Broadwell-E CPU's. It might be worth holding off the ordering process for another month or so.
There is no GTX 1080 Ti yet so you must be talking about the GTX 1080.

·
SFF Lover
1,915 Posts
Quote:

There is no GTX 1080 Ti yet so you must be talking about the GTX 1080.
I saw a few threads talking about GTX 1080 Ti's. And either way, the 1080 is supposedly faster than two 980 Ti's. You're likely better off with two 1080's anyways.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post

I saw a few threads talking about GTX 1080 Ti's. And either way, the 1080 is supposedly faster than two 980 Ti's. You're likely better off with two 1080's anyways.
Ok didn't know about the soon to be released 1080. already have the 980ti's. Can always upgrade to one or 2 1080's later or wait for the upgraded version if they are any good. I've waited about 2 months to build my computer I'm not waiting any longer?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
The GTX 1080 is out on friday thats 4 days from now.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentLightning View Post

Nice only 4 days! I'll be keeping and eye out for tests and reviews on it.
Reviews on the founders edition cards have already been up for a little while.
Pretty much every major youtube PC hardware channel has a video on it and so does almost all of the sites.

Only the cards with custom parts are not out or have been reviewed yet.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Reviews on the founders edition cards have already been up for a little while.
Pretty much every major youtube PC hardware channel has a video on it and so does almost all of the sites.

Only the cards with custom parts are not out or have been reviewed yet.
Did some quick research can't believe I missed all this. A 980ti sli setup is still pretty close to one 1080 by the looks of it. But I'll sell both of mine to get just one would be less hassle with just one card versus 2

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
You also get 8 GB of GDDR5X RAM with a 1080 vs the 4 GB of GDDR5 with a 980.
The GTX 1080 besides being a hell of a lot faster and has double the VRAM also uses less power then the GTX 980 does.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

You also get 8 GB of GDDR5X RAM with a 1080 vs the 4 GB of GDDR5 with a 980.
The GTX 1080 besides being a hell of a lot faster and has double the VRAM also uses less power then the GTX 980 does.
Will there be a 1080ti version coming soon after you know of?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts