Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I decided to upgrade my monitor and to pick up a G-Sync one, with (obviously) 144 Hz refresh rate and 1 ms (GtG) response time.

I don't want to spend so much (like 700 € for the ASUS ROG Swift) and I would like to avoid the Full HD 27" monitors, because I don't like Full HD on 27" because of them lower pixel density.

So, I thought to buy the AOC G2460PG, because I read positive matter about it and it is the only G-Sync monitor that has an affordable price.

What do you think about the AOC G2460PG? Is it a good monitor and a right choice?

Thank you very much!
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorized View Post

Hello all,
I decided to upgrade my monitor and to pick up a G-Sync one, with (obviously) 144 Hz refresh rate and 1 ms (GtG) response time.

I don't want to spend so much (like 700 € for the ASUS ROG Swift) and I would like to avoid the Full HD 27" monitors, because I don't like Full HD on 27" because of them lower pixel density.

So, I thought to buy the AOC G2460PG, because I read positive matter about it and it is the only G-Sync monitor that has an affordable price.

What do you think about the AOC G2460PG? Is it a good monitor and a right choice?

Thank you very much!
smile.gif
It's really good for its price, the rog swift have better build quality, and offer extra resolution, hence it's priced extra. For that price, I think it's really good, and you might want to consider buying it now!

• Rep+
Reactions: Vectorized

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21cage12 View Post

It's really good for its price, the rog swift have better build quality, and offer extra resolution, hence it's priced extra. For that price, I think it's really good, and you might want to consider buying it now!
Thank you very much.

I will view the monitor at a 60 cm distance. Are 24" right for that distance?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Quote:

Thank you very much.

I will view the monitor at a 60 cm distance. Are 24" right for that distance?
Yes.

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Quote:

Done
smile.gif

I have another question: which is the right distance for a 27"?
Viewing distance between 30' to 39'' should be ok. Normally, this depends on the person, but usually the body will automatically adjust itself to the screen size, meaning if you're too close to the monitor you might not feel comfortable due to the pixels, screen brightness and the feeling of too much of moving your head around, so you will naturally learn backwards till you suddenly find your best view. 39'' or lower viewing distance is what one will find their self in, infront of their 27'' monitor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Viewing distance between 30' to 39'' should be ok. Normally, this depends on the person, but usually the body will automatically adjust itself to the screen size, meaning if you're too close to the monitor you might not feel comfortable due to the pixels, screen brightness and the feeling of too much of moving your head around, so you will naturally learn backwards till you suddenly find your best view. 39'' or lower viewing distance is what one will find their self in, infront of their 27'' monitor.
Thanks.

So for me, who use the monitor at a distance of 60/70 cm, the 27" would be too big. Is it right?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I don't know that I agree with that. Everyone has different tolerances, but I use a 28" 1920x1200 screen from about 18-20 inches away (45cm), and at work I use 24" 1080P screens from about 14ish inches away (35cm).

I've never noticed glaring pixel density problems, and my vision is close to 20/20. I say go for the bigger screen. The more of your field of view the screen takes up (within reason), the more immersive the game will be. At least in my opinion.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Not many would sit around that far away from their monitor.
Quote:

Thanks.

So for me, who use the monitor at a distance of 60/70 cm, the 27" would be too big. Is it right?
Correct, that distance at 27'' would definitely be too close/almost too close for many people.

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

I don't know that I agree with that. Everyone has different tolerances, but I use a 28" 1920x1200 screen from about 18-20 inches away (45cm), and at work I use 24" 1080P screens from about 14ish inches away (35cm).

I've never noticed glaring pixel density problems, and my vision is close to 20/20. I say go for the bigger screen. The more of your field of view the screen takes up (within reason), the more immersive the game will be. At least in my opinion.
thumb.gif
Since you are not increasing the pixels but you're stretching it from 24'' to 27'' at the same resolution, the clarity and field of view will just get worse, this is why big TVs at 1080p for example don't have great visual displays when you're closer to them. The screen size should match your resolution, for pc 24'' is the sweet spot for many, this is true on the other way round: if you squeeze 4k into a 24'' monitor, texts will really look small yet it will offer more field of view than a 27'' or higher at 1080p.

As resolution increases you will need to sit closer to see better, vice versa.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Quote:

Since you are not increasing the pixels but you're stretching it from 24'' to 27'' at the same resolution, the clarity and field of view will just get worse, this is why big TVs at 1080p for example don't have great visual displays when you're closer to them. The screen size should match your resolution, for pc 24'' is the sweet spot for many, this is true on the other way round: if you squeeze 4k into a 24'' monitor, texts will really look small yet it will offer more field of view than a 27'' or higher at 1080p.

As resolution increases you will need to sit closer to see better, vice versa.
Clairty will get slightly worse, but my point is that it is not noticeably horrible, and the field of view benefits from having a larger monitor greatly outweigh any perceived differences in pixel density. Plus, from over 20" away, you would have to have eagle eyes to be able to detect individual pixels in a 27" 1080P display.

Also, what!? I think you have field of view backwards. You're talking about 2 1080P screens, so no matter the size, both screens will fit the exact same amount of data (pixels). The more of your human vision's field of view that can be taken up by a screen, the more natural increased in-game field of view feels. That is why console games can get by with such narrow fields of view (people sit really far from their TVs), and why narrow fields of view in PC games tend to make people sick (much closer to their screen).

It has nothing to do with the actual size of the screen, it has to do with how much of your vision a screen takes up, and in my opinion, 27" would be nothing but an improvement in that regard.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Mine comes in 3 weeks but from what I've heard from the internet, it's an above average TN panel in terms of colors and is a great value compared to other G-SYNC monitors.

I haven't heard of any big problems with the monitor so far but that may only be because the monitor hasn't been out for long enough.

• Rep+

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Yes.
I have another question: which is the right distance for a 27"?
Personal preference I think. I'm using a 30" 2560x1600 and I just measured my typical viewing distance out of curiosity's sake... 24-25"... so somewhere about 60 cm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

Avoid the Asus Swift at all costs. That thing is a minefield, just look at the owner's thread. It's a great monitor in concept, but until they sort out all the bugs and abysmal quality control, it would be very unwise to purchase one.

Also avoid the Acer XB280HK and XB270H, as both these appear to have common QC issues as well, with poor uniformity and backlight bleed.

I can't really say anything about the AOC G2460PG, as it's not available in my region so I never bothered to research it. There is a new BenQ 24" G-Sync, the XL2420G, which might be worth looking at. It's 1920x1080 like the AOC, and has additional inputs aside from the G-Sync DP.

I certainly wouldn't recommend 1920x1080 at 27". That pixel pitch is nasty, unless you want to sit a long way away.
Thank you very much.
Due to comparable specifications and features, I already looked at the BenQ XL2420G but the price is around 650 €: there is too much price difference (the G2460PG costs around 420 €), and it is not worth, I think: I don't find reasons to justify that 200 € plus, considering they seems to be a lot similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBombzor View Post

Mine comes in 3 weeks but from what I've heard from the internet, it's an above average TN panel in terms of colors and is a great value compared to other G-SYNC monitors.

I haven't heard of any big problems with the monitor so far but that may only be because the monitor hasn't been out for long enough.
Thanks.
I think I will buy it next week, so within the end of the next week I should have it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

Personal preference I think. I'm using a 30" 2560x1600 and I just measured my typical viewing distance out of curiosity's sake... 24-25"... so somewhere about 60 cm.
Maybe 27" at 70 cm would be affordable for someone, but personally that distance is too little for 30"...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

Avoid the Asus Swift at all costs. That thing is a minefield, just look at the owner's thread. It's a great monitor in concept, but until they sort out all the bugs and abysmal quality control, it would be very unwise to purchase one.

Also avoid the Acer XB280HK and XB270H, as both these appear to have common QC issues as well, with poor uniformity and backlight bleed.

I can't really say anything about the AOC G2460PG, as it's not available in my region so I never bothered to research it. There is a new BenQ 24" G-Sync, the XL2420G, which might be worth looking at. It's 1920x1080 like the AOC, and has additional inputs aside from the G-Sync DP.

I certainly wouldn't recommend 1920x1080 at 27". That pixel pitch is nasty, unless you want to sit a long way away.
/Agree about the Acer. I tried 3 of them and all 3 had dead pixels.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

Maybe 27" at 70 cm would be affordable for someone, but personally that distance is too little for 30"...
I tend to lean back a little more when I'm reading, but I get in a little closer when I'm gaming. I've had this monitor for over 6 years on the same desk and pedestal. Nothing has really changed. lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts