Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I was asking around on here back in January when my laptop looked like it was unrepairable (I had to take it in to Best Buy so they could order parts since that's basically the only thing I can't do, well that and spills). It got fixed last minute and got a few more months lease on life via a new GPU and SSD which I was quite surprised by. A few months later the screen starts flickering and artifacting pretty regularly, especially if G-Sync was on (which it was otherwise why did I have it) could never determine the reason for that, though it was probably something in the panel that the (very simple) G-Sync implementation exacerbated.

Anyways, last week the screen flickering/artifacting got really bad and the DVD/CD drive pops open (on it's own), spraying bits of plastic (the frame holding the track) everywhere and leaving the tray hanging on by the ribbon cable... so I took it in and it's been junked out, now I have a credit.

If it weren't for the fact that something always happens to make one of my laptops unrepairable to where a part needs replacing (or multiple or the whole thing). I'd make a custom or something and skip Best Buy's selection and 3-Year ADH. Never been sold on Squaretrade though, not sure why; though the plan prices have always been more (seems 15-20% more for a direct upgrade priced plan currently) and they're tiered so that might have something to do with it.

So it needs a good screen, good color reproduction (at least above average like the one I just had). Preferably G-Sync.

ASUS ROG Strix G702VS 17.3" looks to be the direct "upgrade" from my old one, though you'll notice it only has 12GB of RAM and no SSD, also a bit leary of the decrease in weight. Brass Tax. I have ~$1250 at Best Buy for a new laptop and I'm willing to spend a bit more. Maybe a few hundred, not double or anything crazy like that though. I heard that the G752VS OC edition had a nice screen but probably out of my wheelhouse.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Im not sure why Asus insists on not allowing extra air flow by just making a couple of vents below the fans. Some had dropped temps considerably by drilling them out themselves.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Strix-GL702VS-7700HQ-FHD-GTX-1070-Xotic-PC-Edition-Notebook-Review.207150.0.html

CPU reaches 96C in gaming with the GPU at 86C. Pretty high or a stock system. If your willing to do a tear down then its likely a repaste is in order but I dont know if that will void warranty.

The screen seems ok in color production but slow to produce it.

I was looking through Best buys listings and their filtering system broke on me twice lol

What are you looking for in a laptop specifically?

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops thought I included that in the first post. Had to rewrite a couple times because it didn't save a draft and the power kept blinking (storming real bad today). It needs, good gaming performance, beefy on the cpu end too for video editing/encoding. As I said needs a good screen, mainly color reproduction. Anti-Ghosting keyboard would be nice but not essential. G-Sync preferred. Never had a monitor over 60 FPS so I'm sure anything else will be fine so long as the gpu can pump it out/g-sync enough to keep up. Larger screen is a plus for viewing and for transport (they tend to have more even weight distribution than the smaller units so less clunky).

I checked (because I noticed a sale) and I can get the ASUS ROG G752VS-XS74K OC Edition for $500 (most of that is the 3-year ADH plan) by Friday or sooner ship to store.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer11 View Post

Oops thought I included that in the first post. Had to rewrite a couple times because it didn't save a draft and the power kept blinking (storming real bad today). It needs, good gaming performance, beefy on the cpu end too for video editing/encoding. As I said needs a good screen, mainly color reproduction. Anti-Ghosting keyboard would be nice but not essential. G-Sync preferred. Never had a monitor over 60 FPS so I'm sure anything else will be fine so long as the gpu can pump it out/g-sync enough to keep up. Larger screen is a plus for viewing and for transport (they tend to have more even weight distribution than the smaller units so less clunky).

I checked (because I noticed a sale) and I can get the ASUS ROG G752VS-XS74K OC Edition for $500 (most of that is the 3-year ADH plan) by Friday or sooner ship to store.
What's your budget? That's also helpful. If anything I'll probably look at that link and just use that as the maximum price.

Also, any brands you are against using?

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
For 500 I would snag it.

7820hk will really allow for the GTX 1070 to flex its muscles and its an overclockable CPU will help considerably in video editing, especially if you can push it to 4.5Ghz. Some have hit 4.7 on 7820hk's and 7700k's have been pushed up to 5.2Ghz in laptops. The possibility is there

My only personal gripe about the laptop is the I/O all being on the right of the laptop, but thats just my own personal gripe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7glBCZr8ntI

It may be worth seeing if best buy can apply the Liquid metal paste and you'd probably be golden (to keep your warranty intact.

I havent been able to find a lot of information on the color accuracy on that model though, most reviews are for the older or 7700hq equipped machines.

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say $600 out of pocket at max. So $2100 but that's pushing it.

The only review I've seen on the 2017 version with Delta-E so far is https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-rog-g752vs-oc-edition and the notebookcheck.net one but I haven't been researching this but today really. laptopmag doesn't mention how it performs after calibration but the panel does sound less favorable than the review of the 2016 model they did and I don't think they mention the make and model of the panel either unless I missed it.

Don't want to sit too long and let sale lapse though in case I wind up going with the 752 OC. I know one thing for sure though the monitor is almost certainly better than what I'm using now for stop gap till I get an ultrawide for my desktop.

And yes, I dislike all the input on the right as well, it especially bugs me since starting with my last laptop they added a third audio jack on the right shifting stuff even more. IIRC my first ROG laptop had jacks where the indicator lights are on the new ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts