Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ocn! Just joined about 2 weeks ago but have been lurking in the forums for many months.
So, I finally got about to building my rig and need some help.
Btw if it helps I am 13 and pc is mid high end

i5 2500K
P8P67 pro (Z68?)
8 gig ram
6950 future crossfire (6990?) don't want nvidia
Eyefinity after crossfire or 6990
750 W psu - can't mention which as I live in Dubai (boo) but a high end psu(corsair , cm)
HAF 932 - only cm case available here
DVD drive
Wanted frio ock but not available, any good cooler. Zalman recommendations?
Cheap SSD
That's it !

Any good games to show off eyefinity? Just cause 2?

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
You don't need 750 watts.. 650Watt is more than enough for Xfire 6950's

Quote:

Cheap SSD

Might not be "Cheap" but crucial M4s are definatly the best value for money.

Quote:

P8P67 pro (Z68?)

P67, is fine unless you want SSD caching and vertu.

·
Super Moderator
14,135 Posts
You need at least 900W PSU for what you have there.

For the SSD you should get a Crucial M4 and maybe a HDD for storing all your games on. You won't find a cheap SSD that can store more than 4 games on.

EDIT: 900W for crossfire 6990s
600W for crossfire 6950s

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want either 1 6990 or 2(3?) 6950s
Anywho thanks for the replies and please give some more

·
Super Moderator
14,135 Posts
Well then 600-650 PSU is enough for either.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Middle east FTW

Yea you can get a 6990 and xfire it with 6950 too.
Lets say you want a 6950 now and xfire it later, a 600-700w is enough. If you want 6990 or xfire it later you will need 850w+ PSU.

Also you dont need TT frio OCK, its useless. SB are really cool and cooling them with such high end coolers will not warrent you more oc. Get TT frio or a similar cooler, even a hyper is good.

And almost all driving games look good on eyefinity, JC2 is a bit heavy in eyefinity res. you can play deus-ex.
BTW, i have never seen anyone for that matter playing nba 2k/PES/FIFA on eyefinity surround? I wonder how it feels...

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratjack
View Post

why dont you want to go with an nvidia card? Are you open to any case other than a cooler master case?

Yeh CM definatly ain't the be all and end all of cases, I think Corsair was one of the best case manufactuers. Have alook at the 600T and the 500R.

Quote:

Zalman recommendations?

Not a fan of there coolers, Can you afford a Noctua D14? (if so make sure that you get ram with low sinks... RipJaws are fine but thats about the max)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
View Post

Hi ocn! Just joined about 2 weeks ago but have been lurking in the forums for many months.

i5 2500K
P8P67 pro (Z68?)
8 gig ram
750 W psu - can't mention which as I live in Dubai (boo) but a high end psu(corsair , cm)
DVD drive
Cheap SSD

Personally i'd opt for the 6990 out of those 2 as single card setups are a lot more manageable, it just depends on AMDs driver support for the 6990. I'd go for a 750/800w psu as its always good to have head room for future upgrades (i've had my psu for 4 years). Cheap and SSD don't really go together. If you want to save money but still have speed but 3 WD AALS and put them in RAID 0.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I'd go with the 6950's in crossfire. Almost the same performance as the 6990 and you'd save a couple of hundred $$$$'s.

As an owner of a Crucial M4 128Gb - i can highly recommend it. Flashing to the latest (09) firmware gives a nice performance increase and it's been 100% reliable for me so far

I use a Zalman Performa Cooler and it gives me performance roughly equal to a Noctua at about half the price. Only difference is that it is a lot nosier, but i never notice it when i have the volume cranked up when gaming

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice guys but as I said I live in Dubai (boo again) thus most cases etc not available. But my microcenter seems to be a fan of cm do they might have 212 ( enough for 4.5 no more?) 932 is the best case available xD
Is 6950 cf as good as 6990
Even I have yet too see pes or FIFA in eyefinity
Good, ok cheap 1080 p monitors? Or 3 year old hd ready tv??

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
A quality 650w PSU is fine, but if you're gonna be overclocking the i5 2500K high, and overclocking those cards, then go with a 750w PSU.

Also, for the price of an HD 6990, you can afford two HD 6970 2GB. Go with a couple of those, instead.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmchugh
View Post

Yeh CM definatly the be all and end all of cases, I think Corsair was one of the best case manufactuers. Have alook at the 600T and the 500R.

Ya, the cooler master cases would be ok if they actually went through the case and added dust filters as need with a high air flow case. That is what really turned me off of them and that is why i went with the 600T, its amazing how much dust actually does collect on the filters

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep dust is a problem on had cases. I think I have to go with 6950s as 6990 is a bit too heavy on ahem .....certain things. I don't want SSd caching and interated graphics so p67 ftw?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
View Post

i5 2500K
P8P67 pro (Z68?)
8 gig ram
DVD drive
Cheap SSD
That's it !

Any good games to show off eyefinity? Just cause 2?

you can go with G.Skill RipjawsX Ram is so fast !!!
you can go with P8P67 pro but and Evo is nice what you think.

·
Peace!!!
3,289 Posts
Go with a single 6990 And a decent corsair ax750 as far as the mobo u will use sd so better go with a z68, a corsair 600T will Do good get a corsair H100 if u can m not that know to zalaman
hope that help

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys very less things are available in Dubai . I can't afford a 6990 . Is hyper 212 any good?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
NIK, A hyper 212+ is indded enough for a decent oc. I know in dubai it gets hot in the summer, so you might suffer from high temps. But it will be fine. And yes alot of things are overpriced in the middle east. But isnt there centers around you that specializes in pc? Golden center i think is the name.

Anyway get 2x 6950s they are almsot same price, also since your getting 2 cards, you can go nvidia and do surround.

3 new lcds >.> forget old HD ready ones.

Just make sure you make the case clean, and manage th wires and you will be fine. What brand are the 6950s?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts