Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

I've been outta the loop for almost 5 yrs now and been rocking my 2500K @ 4.7Ghz for some time now. I did tryout a 3570K for a little while until I messed it up trying to delid it :) But any ways I went ahead and bought two MSI Aero 1080 reference cards last weekend along with an Asus SLI bridge. So now I have the itch to go ahead and update the rest of my system. I do plan on OCing the new rig along with gaming and just internet surfing. I would just like some insight of the best/easist OCing gear for my new rig with a No Budget for the right stuff.

Here is what I'm looking at atm

Swiftech Apogee Drive II
i7-8700K
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850W 80+ Titanium Power Supply

Form what I've been reading so far that it will not benefit to upgrade my Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SSD unless I wanted more storage.

So is that the best stuff I can get atm for gaming/OCing or do I need to substitute one item for another? I do not plan on trying to delid my CPU.

Thanks

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
Why did you buy two GPU´s when SLI support has become so god awful and rare?
You would have been better off with just one GTX 1080 or a GTX 1080 Ti

As for storage you should buy a bigger SSD so you have room for store your games on the SSD
Just dont get an NVME based SSD as those are a waste of money for most users

Last what monitor do you have? if you are still using 1080P or a 60 hz 1440P monitor you might want to upgrade your monitor

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Current system specs

Asus P8Z77-V PRO, Bios 2104
Intel Core i5-2500K(Lapped) 4.7 GHz @ Offset v0.030 | Swiftech H220 | Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 240mm(Pull)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1866 @ 8,9,9,24 1T v1.5
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
SLI MSI Aero GTX 1080
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W PSU
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | 5x Noctua NF-F12
BenQ 24" XL2420T / DELL UltraSharp 2209WA @ 75Hz
Swan M50W

I don't feel that I need more storage atm. I just did a full install of windows and still have over a 130Gb of free space.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
Buy a better monitor as the one you have in not only a 1080P its a TN panel which means your monitor is holding the rest of the system back
Buy a 27 inch 1440P monitor with a VA or IPS panel

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Why did you buy two GPU?s when SLI support has become so god awful and rare?
You would have been better off with just one GTX 1080 or a GTX 1080 Ti

As for storage you should buy a bigger SSD so you have room for store your games on the SSD
Just dont get an NVME based SSD as those are a waste of money for most users

Last what monitor do you have? if you are still using 1080P or a 60 hz 1440P monitor you might want to upgrade your monitor
Agreed. SLI only makes sense when you have the fastest card already. Not to mention the frame timing, heat and cost.
I'd definitely sell one if you only need 1440p @ 60fps or sell both for a TI if you need 4k or 1440p and high frame rate.
SLI seems to be near EOL. Nvidia only supports 2 cards at the moment. But even with support from them you'll rely heavily on the game devs for a smooth running system and they can't pander to the 2% of gamers using SLI in most cases.
Buy a better monitor as the one you have in not only a 1080P its a TN panel which means your monitor is holding the rest of the system back
This is exactly where I'm at myself.
The monitor would be the first on my list.
You can upgrade the GPU and display for over 5 years and still not gain much with the latest CPU in many games, especially console ports.

I really wish you'd made this thread before buying the 1080s. In the best cases your frame timing won't be as consistent as a single better card or even a single 1080. In worse cases the game can be unplayable or only run on one card.
DX12 was supposed to address this but I've yet to see anything supporting that.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
SLI is actually slower then a single single card in many cases
I had a GTX 970 SLI setup before and every time i wanted to play JC3 i had to turn off SLI as it ran slower then with only one GTX 970

My SLI setup was not slow but since the support was so god awful i ended up with a GTX 1070 instead and that GTX 1070 was broken so got a refund and bought a GTX 1080 after it had its price drop

Return or sell the second GTX 1080 its pointless and was frankly a waste of money
That money would have better spent on a new monitor instead

Edit: by the way there is no reason to replace your PSU

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To my understanding years back increasing resolution decreases FPS, does this still hold true? Right now my BenQ 24" XL2420T rocks 120 FPS all day long in PUGS with the occasional dip to 80 FPS.

I was at a LAN last weekend and my lag was so bad with my SLI 670's so I went out and bought the 2x 1080's. I'll try just one 1080 tonight and see if I gain any performance or higher settings while maintaining my 120 FPS. I did notice that GPU 1 was at 99% @ 70c while GPU 2 was at 15% @ 35c while playing last night.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Still true but a 1080 ti can get 120fps at 1440p if you're setting your visuals sensibly.

If 120 Hz 1080p is all you need a single 1080 is still pretty overkill imo.
If the loads on the 2 cards were different there's definitely a scaling issue.
Fast FPS games are usually the worst candidates for SLI.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
I have a GTX 1080 as well and i have tested close to 40 games in 1440P and only 3 out of those 40 ran below 50 FPS
Almost all the games ran at 60 FPS and often much higher in 1440P and that was with settings cranked all the way up

At this point your 1080P monitor is holding back the power of your GTX 1080 card(s)
I have not tested PUBG so i cant speak of that game

Another thing to keep in mind is when you move to a higher resolution such as 1440P you need to use a lot less if any anti aliasing and nothing eat up more GPU power then anti aliasing

1440P even without anti aliasing still looks a lot better then 1080P WITH anti aliasing

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah 60 FPS will not cut it in FPS shooters. That's why I don't even want a 144hz monitor because now I need even more graphics power to stay above 144 FPS. That's another reason I bought the 2x 1080 thinking that I was future proving my system for new FPS game releases. As of right now a 1080 is keeping me at my 120 FPS but maybe not in a year or two when the next big FPS title hits the shelf.

So now do I even need to spend any money atm or am I good for the time being by just returning one of my 1080s? Will a new CPU/mobo/ram/water block increase my min or max FPS in any games to justify the $965 bill? I also saved a little money since Shilka said my SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W PSU is sufficient.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
If a 1080 can't do 120fps @1080p then the game is broken especially if its a FPS game.
Games are only as hard to run as you make it in my experience.

Faster CPU and Ram will help in CPU bound games but not likely in console ports. Personally I'd just delid and OC.
Water might give you some extra core clock on the card but not enough to justify spending more than a new CPU and mono would cost. Water only helps if you're thermally limited and usually mostly on the GPU. Many CPU coolers are as good as a custom loop.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
A new CPU motherboard and RAM is not going to be all that much faster so if its for gaming only dont bother and keep your old stuff
Keep your old PSU as well and if you return one of the GTX 1080 cards you have money for a better monitor

One thing you might not know of is Nvidia G Sync which is what my 1440P monitor uses
What it does make the monitor talk to the GPU which means the monitor will not show less or more FPS then what the GPU is putting out

The experience is amazing no more lag screen tearing or stuttering which means even lower framerates dont actually looks or feels bad

I was like you once refusing to play games unless i could get x amount of FPS but after i bought my Asus PG279Q with Nvidia G Sync i stopped caring because unless the FPS is less then 30 it does not matter all that much anymore

AMD also has a sync technology called Freesync but that only works with monitors that have that instead of Nvidia G Sync and only with AMD cards
The Asus PG279Q the Acer Predator XB271HU the AOC AGON AG271QG and the ViewSonic XG2703-GS 27 are all 27 inch 1440P 144/165 hz IPS panels with Nvidia G Sync

If you dont like 1440P there are 1080P monitors with Nvidia G Sync as well and even those are much better then a non Nvidia G Sync monitor

While they are expensive monitors they are well worth the price and as said before i own an Asus PG279Q and a GTX 1080 and as i said even with lower framerates you wont notice it all that much because of Nvidia G Sync is such a big compensator

With that being said i play older FPS games and RTS games more then i play newer FPS games
As for PUBG thats the most unoptimised game around and it runs like crap on the even the most powerful machines so thats the game´s fault not your GTX 1080

Edit: while i had my GTX 1070 before it bit the dust i was playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided at about 40 FPS and i swear i could not tell the difference between that and the GTX 1080 which could do 60 FPS because of Nvidia G Sync so i am sure you wont be able to tell the difference between 80 or 120 FPS in PUBG

You might with less then 30 FPS but the GTX 1080 is not that crappy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I walked into Micro Center this weekend with my two 1080's in hand hoping to exchange them for a 1080 TI.

Then what happened next you ask?

I walked out with a $3,312.08 bill!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WI-FI AC
Intel Core i7-8700K
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti STRIX ROG
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3600
ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift 27" IPS
Astro A50 Wireless Headset + Base Station For PC, Mac
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 32-bit/64-bit English USB

I may return the monitor though for a BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 because a 27" screen is to much real estate to look at during gaming sessions.

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
You just need to move the monitor further away or sit further away from the monitor
Or it might be that you are not used to a bigger monitor and you just need some time to get used to it

The BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 by the way uses a TN panel which means the colors are not going to look all that great and they are going to be a bit washed out
A monitor with an IPS PLS or even a VA panel is a much better option

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Still true but a 1080 ti can get 120fps at 1440p if you're setting your visuals sensibly.

If 120 Hz 1080p is all you need a single 1080 is still pretty overkill imo.
If the loads on the 2 cards were different there's definitely a scaling issue.
Fast FPS games are usually the worst candidates for SLI.

I agree with you there.

My 1080Ti runs fantastic with my 1440P Z35P at 120hz. I've owned many SLI setups (and quite a few crossfire rigs) in the past but I am done with all the issues.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i had this:
i7 3770k
maximus V formula
gtx 970
asus pro art pa246q ( 60hz/ips monitor )

upgraded to
i7 8700k
maximus X hero ( formula wasnt release T_T )
gtx 1080 Ti
ROG SWIFT PG279Q.
and almost all games 120fps+ on ultra settings . best thing is XD when i go back to play on my old pc i say why it feels laggy when the fps is 90+ ( even on dota ) i feel something is wrong and the game feel slow.
and in fps games :( its like slow mo.

so i add my vote to the other guys if you can return the 1080's and buy 1080 Ti with ips monitor that have high refresh rate maybe with g-sync .
its worth it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts