Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to buy parts for my new computer and I can't decide on which card to get... I'm asking you guys to help me find a good card that has Stock high clock speeds like....625/ 1.5gb ....Needs to be no higher then $240.. I Like ATI but whatever seems good I will buy..<br />
<br />
<br />
thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is the one I am considering; any other suggestions?<br />
<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130065" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130065</a>

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the fan on that gfx card good? I dont want to buy one that runs hot ...not saying this does Im looking at it and Like it but what would be better in my case of building a gaming machine? Ati or nvidia..

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102051" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102051</a><br />
<br />
You won't beat this one for performance per dollar. Easily reflashed to an XTX.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The card that scorpion linked is probably the best card you are going to be able to get in the $240 price range. The cooler on that card is a good one since it is the cooler that is normally used on 7900GTXs. I will keep your card cool and allow you to most likely get a substantial overclock. Also it has 512 video memory that while not a huge issue in most games does allow you to enable some of the highest quality features in games such as Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Call of Duty 2.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like! which cooler would be good to use? the one in his review or are there better? rep

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will that card support dx-10?... If not then i would want a cheaper one for now that still has high clock speeds untill i found one that supports it..

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
There are no cards on the market that currently support DX10. None.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok then.. how about a card around 180?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The x1900xt 256 is also an excellent card. Really the choice comes down to which games you play most often and whether or not you want HDR+AA which is a feature that currently only ATI has on its cards.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I still say the X1900XT would be the better choice. The overclocks I got with mine <a href="http://www.overclock.net/faqs/29794-what-record-speeds-my-graphics-card.html" target="_blank">here</a> at OC.net were using the stock cooler, too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What would you say about the difference in pixel pinelines? x1900xt = 16 and 7900GTO = 24. Also, which clock speed is more important, core or mem?

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>Scorpion_WR</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">What would you say about the difference in pixel pinelines? x1900xt = 16 and 7900GTO = 24. Also, which clock speed is more important, core or mem?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>x1900xt has 16 pipes at 48 pixel shaders

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>OpTioN</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">x1900xt has 16 pipes at 48 pixel shaders</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>What he said.<br />
<br />
As far as clock speed goes, it's all relative. When you're overclocking them, one can hold back the other. I know I could have gotten higher memory OC out of mine, but at the cost of the core speeds. It's a balancing act... you just have to test for yourself and see what gives the highest performance gains.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya i'd take that card but Im gunna be playing alot of games in the mean time so i need a decent card to play on thats around $180 so then I wont have to spend the extra money on something thats not going to be useful to me anymore...Someone post some gfx cards in that range plz? <br />
<br />
Which date is dx-10 coming out? and how much will the dx10 cards be when they are available?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Noone knows exactly when DX10 will be released, as noone knows when Vista will be released. They pretty much go hand in hand.<br />
<br />
In the $180 +/- arena, I'd have to say the 7600GT's are pretty good for the money.<br />
<br />
If you can stretch another $15-$20 out, <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102022" target="_blank">THIS</a> would be pretty badass.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know he is looking for around $180, but how much $ is the heat venting of the 1900XT worth? Does this generate a lot of heat, and if so is it worth another $50 for the extra specs and fan exhaust?

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
I would go with the X1900XT. I just bought that Sapphire model off of newegg. With the specs in my sig, I'm able to go over 5,000 marks in 3dmarks06. I get close to 11,000 in 3dmarks05. If it wasn't for my cpu, this card would hit 6,500+ (3dmark06) without any problems. The Sapphire model seems to overclock well, I can do 700+/1640+.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I usually play COD2 alot... Im gunan be buying new games to when I get this computer..mostly war games

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
For Call of Duty 2 512 video ram helps out performance a ton. Also the game internally configures some settings having to do with texture detail that it will not enable unless you have at least 512 video ram. So for the best COD2 experience 512 is a must.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts