Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my GTX 285 for something that runs cooler and doesn't sound like a jet engine. I'm tired of having fan speed cranked up to 100%, killing the mood in games.

I don't care so much about performance gains, but certainly don't want to take any steps back. Noise is the biggest concern. How are the 5850's in this regard?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
5850's are a little quieter than a 4890.
Which from what I have heard myself is kinda near a 285.
Get 2 of the revision V2 5770's.
Those things at 100% dont break 30 dBa.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-864-_-Product
For a single gpu solution, the 5870 is a little louder than a 5850, just judging it don't quote me, but, my old 5870 would sound the same as my cpu fans when it was at 70%.
So 5870 at 70% was ~40dBa
100% was a bit louder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about aftermarket cooling, but I've heard that a lot of heatsinks don't fit when using the NZXT Panzerbox, since the PSU is on it's side right next to the GPU, wider aftermarket coolers are a no go.

Suppose if I do my homehowrk there shouldn't be any problems though.

I appreciate the input so far everyone, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The T-Rad does look like my best best, thanks for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Paradox me
View Post

I thought about aftermarket cooling, but I've heard that a lot of heatsinks don't fit when using the NZXT Panzerbox, since the PSU is on it's side right next to the GPU, wider aftermarket coolers are a no go.

Suppose if I do my homehowrk there shouldn't be any problems though.

I appreciate the input so far everyone, thanks.

Welcome to the world of modding my friend, we make anything fit lol. Why don't you just turn the fan down with rivatuner or some other software? Or get a fan controller and do some wiring?

It won't affect temperatures as much but its definitely worth a try its free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ModoeXtreme View Post
Welcome to the world of modding my friend, we make anything fit lol. Why don't you just turn the fan down with rivatuner or some other software? Or get a fan controller and do some wiring?

It won't affect temperatures as much but its definitely worth a try its free.
Fan speed wasn't really the problem, it was the temps. I had to manually set the fan at 80% or higher to get comfortable temps in most games and that was a bit too loud for my taste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenkane View Post
Take a look at this thread.

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling...gtx-260-a.html

I'm pretty sure it works for the 285 as well. I did it on my 260, brought noise (and temps) way down.
I just did this though and what I have on there now, a cheap 90mm fan, is about as loud as stock was at 65% and it's about 15 degrees cooler under load. Not bad for a simple mod.

I'll probably be ordering the T-Rad2 GTX as I'm sure it'll produce much better results I'm sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Paradox me
View Post

Fan speed wasn't really the problem, it was the temps. I had to manually set the fan at 80% or higher to get comfortable temps in most games and that was a bit too loud for my taste.

I just did this though and what I have on there now, a cheap 90mm fan, is about as loud as stock was at 65% and it's about 15 degrees cooler under load. Not bad for a simple mod.

I'll probably be ordering the T-Rad2 GTX as I'm sure it'll produce much better results I'm sure.

Meh. I use a Cooler Master R4 which is rated at 69CFM, probably as quiet on full speed as the stock cooler at 40%, and dropped my temps by 40 degrees or so.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top