Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a friend that is wanting to be able to run everquest 2 on his machine and he needs a good graphics card hes has a pentium 3 1 ghz proccessor and 384 mbs of ram he is looking at a fx 5500 or a ati 9600 i wasnt sure which one he should get?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B1u3D3ath

i have a friend that is wanting to be able to run everquest 2 on his machine and he needs a good graphics card hes has a pentium 3 1 ghz proccessor and 384 mbs of ram he is looking at a fx 5500 or a ati 9600 i wasnt sure which one he should get?

I play that game now and with my set up, looking to upgrade my video card, I get a goot amount of screen chatter in high population areas. I would advise to save more and get a video card that you can bring to another system with you....possibly the 6800 or 6600GT. But out of those two I would go with the 9600 if you dont have time to save more money.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Also just a suggestion. A 9550 256 mb usually goes for the same as a 9600 128 and has the same core. You can usually clock it with ati tool to the same or better than the 9600 and it has more memory.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 256mb 9500pro is also a really good alternative. Very stable at upper clock speeds and holds it's own against the 9800 when clocked correctly. Also in the same price range. I've had one in a seperate system for about 3 years and it still competes.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B1u3D3ath

The PENTIUM III is going to be cause for concern, you are going to need to fit a GPU to suit it (no point having more than you can use).

One very important point to note is does the motherboard support AGP x 8 or is it only AGP x 4 ?. If it is only x4 (as I suspect) you are not really gaining that much from a high upgrade. Stick to a 9550 256Mb GDDR3 or a 9600 series GPU (not the se though).

If you friend could afford a cheap upgrade of CPU and motherboard to a socket 478 or a socketA it would serve him better.

cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes my mobo only allows 4x agp. Its a Gigabyte 6VX7-4X mobo. So i was wondering wat gpu i should get? I need it to run Everquest 2. Right now i am running Halflife 2 on medium easy with a 64mb 64 bit gpu which is a mx400.

So which one? i want a budget of around 60$.
Thnx in advance,
Mr~Anarchie

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Well, you can look for deals online but for the most part your going to have a really hard time with EQ2. It has some of the highest minimum specs out there and even the9800pro wont handle the game too well. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you gotta get more than 60 bucks to see any improvement. To tell you the truth, you'd probably need more than 500 bucks to get where you need to be. =\\

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea, I am just upgrading this P3 until i get me a brand new custom. Hopefully custom will be better than mine =P
For now im looking on how to upgrade my comp as far as it can handle.
Looking to have the best P3 out there!

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
IMO, id get at least 512 Ram, Try to dump that 128stick and get a 256, which will probably be around 10bucks diffrence, and then get yourself a 9500Pro and flash it to a full 9700Pro. Trust me, about a year ago, i was in your position, i had a P3 667Mhz / 384MB too, But i Saved up cash for a pretty decent PC that im VERY happy with. Well, goodluck to you. =)

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
256ram / ATI 9600 because:

- having 128ram will slow down your rig (I had a duron 1100/128megs) and 256ram almost halved the loading times (on XP)
- Anything better than 9600 will perform quite the same (bottlenecks: cpu, ram, agp 4x)
If you can find any I'd choose a 9500pro. If you install "ati omega drivers" it is magicaly transformed into a 9700pro without bios editing.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr~Anarchie

Ok thnx alot for help. So buy a 256 stick and a 9500?

Ok thnx for info.

Aren't you getting a new rig soon?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah just found out not too long ago i was getting a new one. But i still need to buy someone a decent gfx card.
So the 9500pro can "transform" into a 9700pro?
Sounds good ill have to check into that.

Mr~Anarchie

·
Banned
606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorLCA

Forget the 9600, you can get a 9800Pro for a relatively decent price and if he gets the right 256MB 9800Pro it can be flashed to an XT.

You can easily get one for around $100 and It'll botlleneck a little but thats good since wen he upgrades his processor he doesnt have to get a new vid card

I agree, my 9800 pro 128mb goes way higher than an XT and gets 52k in AM3, at stock speed it got like 39k or something like that. If you do get a 9600 make sure it's an XT and NOT a SE, those are worthless.

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr~Anarchie

Yeah just found out not too long ago i was getting a new one. But i still need to buy someone a decent gfx card.
So the 9500pro can "transform" into a 9700pro?
Sounds good ill have to check into that.

Mr~Anarchie

A link for the omega drivers I was talking about (transforming 9500pro in 9700pro) They install just as the normal catalysts do, at one point it makes you choose if you want normal driver, 9500 to 9700 mod or 98000se to 9800pro mod. Just select the one with 9500 to 9700 and you should have a fully functional 9700pro.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts