Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

For the last year I've run a cpl of 8800GTS G92 512mb cards. I recently picked up a pair of the newer 260/216 cards.
I am an experienced builder of over 10 yrs just so you know im no nOOb.
I installed the cards,deleted the old driver,installed the new driver from Nvidia's site.
Went to play Quake 4/UT3 and I got lockups.Power is not a problem.I have a 1KW pSU with 80 amps on tap.
So, for giggles I uninstalled the latest driver.Installed the driver off the CD.I was able to play those games no prob at all.
Well, I thought that's freakin strange.I decided to uninstall the drivers off the CD and go back to the newest drivers.The games locked up even before they were fully started.
Im wondering if I have something corrupted here.
So, right now im wiping my drives clean & am going to do a clean install of XP.
Then go about installing all drivers afterwards.

Thoughts and opinions on what could make the cards lock up like that...?

thanks in advance

nismo

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
I've had problems myself with drivers newer than the 181.22's, never had any lock ups in games but I never got that far.

Give the 181.22's a try if the format doesn't help or try them beforehand if it's not to late.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeforceGTS View Post
I've had problems myself with drivers newer than the 181.22's, never had any lock ups in games but I never got that far.

Give the 181.22's a try if the format doesn't help or try them beforehand if it's not to late.

Don't reformat... It's the video drivers.... anything before 182.06 (Feb 18) creates the problem... The problem is documented in the 182.06 release notes, something about the card having problems switching power states, and causing the drivers to crash.

A couple of days ago, NVidia released 182.08 wich had a few different fixes also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's too late. I wiped my drives clean & did a fresh install. So, what driver to go with..??
The stock driver on the CD seemed to work pretty well.
Think I should just go with the newest driver straight away & forget the CD..??

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to Nvidia's website.Downloaded the latest.Where would you find the 181.22..?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help GeforceGTS....
I figured I could find it on the Nvidia website somewhere.But, you beat me to it.. :)

And thanks for your help also d3v0

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've done a fresh install of XP with SP1.Installed the latest Chip Set drivers.Installed SP 2 as well.
Im not going to get all the Windows updates yet. I think ill grab the 181.22 drivers, get em installed.Then, i wonder if i should run a benchy or just install like UT 3 or something.
I could just run 3dmark 05 or 06 i guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts