Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new hard drive and it comes up as a removable drive in XP Pro. Everything works just fine but its just strange. Any ideas? Wondering if it could be a bios thing or what.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus5783
I installed my new hard drive and it comes up as a removable drive in XP Pro. Everything works just fine but its just strange. Any ideas?
Wierd...have you tried removing it from Device Manager and allowing windows to redetect it to see if it makes any difference?

What kind of drive is it IDE/SATA....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
Wierd...have you tried removing it from Device Manager and allowing windows to redetect it to see if it makes any difference?

What kind of drive is it IDE/SATA....?
Havent tried that it my harddrive with XP installed on it so im sort of "ify" to remove it. Its a Hitachi SATA 80gig HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus5783
Havent tried that it my harddrive with XP installed on it so im sort of "ify" to remove it. Its a Hitachi SATA 80gig HD
do you have it set up as a raid drive by mistake in the BIOS? I know my RAID controller will report SATA drives as hot-swappable to windows incorrectly. (hence the removable tag in XP)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
My SATA WD80gb reports as removable too... I dont know why, and it doesnt really bother me because it works perfect and I've tested with HD tach and Seek time and all that is in check with the specs of the drive.

Also to make it my primary boot I have to set the bios to boot from removable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
My SATA WD80gb reports as removable too... I dont know why, and it doesnt really bother me because it works perfect and I've tested with HD tach and Seek time and all that is in check with the specs of the drive.

Also to make it my primary boot I have to set the bios to boot from removable.
See in bios I have it set to boot from HD but it works fine just wierd lol oh well
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top