Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Haven't really posted here, figured I'd give it a shot and get some input of those who maybe know better. :)

The basic idea behind this build is to have a high performance, low noise watercooled rig that's easy on the eyes. I know the AMD's and the RTX3000 cards put out a lot of heat and the idea is to try and "brute force" the cooling here with 140mm rads and fans (having 700mm radiator space in total). I do not intend to have custom fan curves for the fans, instead having a set RPM on the fans (somewhere in the 1200-1300rpm) range.

Component List:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master Rev 1.1
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Royals 32GB (8x4gb) DDR4 3600mhz CL14 (B-die)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
PSU: Antec Signature 1000W Titanium
SSD: Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 7000s 2tb
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3090 Xtreme Rev 1.0

Here's a google sheets link to my planned wc build: Watercooling

A few notes:
  • I am planning on using the EKWB distro plate, however I'm not sure if having the 420mm in the front and the 280mm in the bottom will have clearance issues with the DP?
  • I am planning on doing a vertical mount on the GPU using the case mount. This was the riser I am planning to get: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XN26DRZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1EA54VWB150Z7&psc=1
  • I've decided against the Bykski blocks (both cpu and GPU) and will rather opt for the EK variants. CPU will most likely be the Quantum Magnitude: EK-Quantum Magnitude D-RGB - AM4 Nickel + Plexi
  • GPU block - Undecided, considering that I've got the 3090 Xtreme and knowing that it thermal throttles due to VRAM temperatures, I'm hoping that EKWB will release their Xtreme waterblock + the active cooling block for the RAM. I've sent them an email, still awaiting feedback.
  • I've already replaced the front thermal pads on the card with Gelid GP Ultimate. The rear ones appear to be 2mm or larger, as such I've ordered 2mm Ultimate's and 3mm Extreme's. That should arrive this week Wednesday and I can finish with the card (this is so it's usable on air while I wait for the block). GP-Ultimate Thermal Pad
  • I've reached out to Cablemod regarding custom sleeved cables for my PSU, I've yet to have a response. If anyone has a contact with them, please do get in touch?
My thinking here on the 2x rads is both of them will be intake, sucking in cold air, while the top 3x fans and 1x rear fan are all for exhaust. The other thing is that hot air rises, hence no rad at the top and only exhaust fans. Considering the % loss of airflow through the radiators, the system -should- end up being negative air pressure with 5x intake and 4x exhaust (this is all theory though and good chance it'll be positive air pressure).

I'm also intending to use identical fans as case+rad fans. This is so that I don't mix and match the look of the build. I also quite like the RGB on the Vardar's as they aren't as obnoxious as some of the other RGB offerings.

Any suggestions or feedback is welcome. I'm hoping EKWB gets back to me soon'ish regarding the GPU block as I can't really start the build without the GPU blocks.

I'll be uploading some pictures once I have a chance to take decent quality snaps.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,057 Posts
Your choice on most of these components. One thing I would definitey change is the PSU. Im not much on AMD power draws lately, just know they wont OC very much so whatever stock power draw is, you wont go much higher. The 3090 will be pulling some juice and depending on what you run for fans and pump/s you could be pushing that 1000W. Dont pay any attention to the "estimators as they all suck. Figure out your power draw on paper then multiply that by 125% to get a decent range for a PSU.
Now for brand names there are only 3 brands I recommend. Corsair AXi series, Seasonic and EVGA in that order. Of course stick with the higher rating. I run the AX1600i with Gallium Nitride transistors and Im amazed at how it shrunk in size over the previous AX1500i. They are both good PSUs and a bit on the pricey side. One place you dont want to cheap out on is the PSU. Go 125% and get a decent one as it is the heart of your system, more than any other component. Crappy PSU can undervolt and ruin components and without the PSU nothing works, not even the RGB lighting. Shop around. Right now everything is through the roof.

Just dont leave me in charge of your budget as Ill have you taking out a 3rd mortgage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your choice on most of these components. One thing I would definitey change is the PSU. Im not much on AMD power draws lately, just know they wont OC very much so whatever stock power draw is, you wont go much higher. The 3090 will be pulling some juice and depending on what you run for fans and pump/s you could be pushing that 1000W. Dont pay any attention to the "estimators as they all suck. Figure out your power draw on paper then multiply that by 125% to get a decent range for a PSU.
Now for brand names there are only 3 brands I recommend. Corsair AXi series, Seasonic and EVGA in that order. Of course stick with the higher rating. I run the AX1600i with Gallium Nitride transistors and Im amazed at how it shrunk in size over the previous AX1500i. They are both good PSUs and a bit on the pricey side. One place you dont want to cheap out on is the PSU. Go 125% and get a decent one as it is the heart of your system, more than any other component. Crappy PSU can undervolt and ruin components and without the PSU nothing works, not even the RGB lighting. Shop around. Right now everything is through the roof.

Just dont leave me in charge of your budget as Ill have you taking out a 3rd mortgage.
Thanks for the response. The Antec unit I'm using is a rebranded Seasonic unit. I honestly doubt I'd see more than 850W out of the system at max power draw.

To make sure I'm not under powered, I've started measuring the power draw at the wall for the pc under full load (still on air at the moment).

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Be careful with Cablemod there have been horror stories of bad crimp jobs frying PSU's. They are also extremely backlogged atm, I'm waiting on custom SATA myself. If you can afford it look at going Titan Rig, they use better sleeving or Ensourced Cables, though with Ensourced you have to contact them for custom work as their site is pretty basic

·
Registered
244 Posts
My thinking here on the 2x rads is both of them will be intake, sucking in cold air, while the top 3x fans and 1x rear fan are all for exhaust. The other thing is that hot air rises, hence no rad at the top and only exhaust fans. Considering the % loss of airflow through the radiators, the system -should- end up being negative air pressure with 5x intake and 4x exhaust (this is all theory though and good chance it'll be positive air pressure).
Was little surprise when people suggest to have rads on exhaust for top and bottom configuration. Many said this would be better so I tried experiment and flipped my bottom rad fans from intake to exhaust. The result was a nice temperature drop. It doesn't make sense in my head really but I'm not the expert just someone having fun with watercooling. So my suggest is to maybe consider exhaust on the rads rather than intakes, Enjoy your new build always so much fun and too much money :)

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,721 Posts
Was little surprise when people suggest to have rads on exhaust for top and bottom configuration. Many said this would be better so I tried experiment and flipped my bottom rad fans from intake to exhaust. The result was a nice temperature drop. It doesn't make sense in my head really but I'm not the expert just someone having fun with watercooling. So my suggest is to maybe consider exhaust on the rads rather than intakes, Enjoy your new build always so much fun and too much money :)
It really is a case of airflow, and airflow doesn't always work out in some cases in what we would see as a sensible manner. That's why I always recommend playing around with intake/exhaust configurations to find that one that works best for the particular build. Sometimes it's a clear "well....this makes no sense, and I never would have thought to do it, but it yields the lowest temps".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts