Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im trying to get some help picking new hardware i was going to go with a 2011 v3 chip (i7 6 core or 8core )and board but the new chips are comping out i hear there going to not be that power full some are saying from what itell has stated so if i want longevity should i get the 2011 v3 as i im upgrading from a 1366 i7 960 witch was still better then the i7 1150 that i tryed last year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will be gaming mostly and using Photoshop/ maya / max for unreal tournament mods and such.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So for 2011-v3, I'm running a 5820k at stock speeds. I've gone up to 4.5 GHz. Overall I really like the chip and I think it is a great continuation on the previous 2011 series (upgraded from 3820 and a built a PC for a friend with a 4820K). I use my PC mostly for simulations of mathematical models, but game in my free time. Absolutely no complaints about how the chip performs. I have it under water and it runs at a very nice 22 C when idling and 30 C at load. Paired mine with a SLI 970 and it really monsters through just about anything.

I've always been a big fan of the 2011 series and the 2011-v3 does not disappoint. I would say, however, if your main focus is gaming, go with something else. You're going to spend ~100-200 more on a mobo for 2011-v3, which you could otherwise drop on a graphics card or storage (or just save
rolleyes.gif
). Unless you work with programs that can really use the extra cores, stick with a 4790K or 6700K. 4790K is a great chip with lots of overclocking potential and MUCH CHEAPER when it comes to motherboards and memory. 6700K is only really better because it uses DDR4, meaning it might be more future proof (but I never really expect more than 3 years anyway, by which point the 6700 will be outdated). Ultimately it depends on budget/intended use. Based on what you said I might go with 4790K (even over the 6700K) since the build will be cheaper, and really performs almost identically.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply as for card and storage i have a 980 ti with over 10tb of storage my old board was used as a server/ gaming machine as it had 10 sata ports and 2 network imputs, ill have a look at the ones u recomended only reason i was looking at the 6 core is for when i start doing 3dmax again im thinking probly better rendering then a 4 core.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts