Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Looking forward to build an haswell i7 based system. on a bit budget but can be extended just suggest me some good parts also gonna buy these in India.Below is what i am aiming for.

i7 4770k
good motherboard with oc capabilities want something from gigabyte lineup no sli/crossfire required will take one monster gpu(have hd-6970)
16gb rams with good oc potential
250gb ssd
Fulltower cabinet with good airflow for hdd and gpu and capable to mount 120mm*3 fan radiator( need advise if i can run both cpu and gpu on this loop)
Watercooling product suggestions..i can create another thread for this if required
biggrin.gif

If you have suggestions for another lower end processor type with more bang for buck then ur welcome. Budget right now is about 600$-800$ for cpu,motherboard & aircooling as will study watercooling before jumping into it... Also need to know if my current Noctua cooler has a bracket to work with the 1150 socket ? means is it available to buy somewhere ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi!
What do you plan on using your PC for?

If you are tight on budget, I'd suggest you get the 4670K instead of the 4770k. For gaming, you won't see much of a difference, as you don't really need the hyperthreading. If however, you do video editing or something like that, get the i7. Also, if its really only for gaming, you can also just get a 2*4GB kit rather than the 16GB.

The Gigabyte Z87 UD3H is a solid motherboard with a bit of overclocking potential.

As for casing, I have heard that it is hard to get some cases in India. Can you please give a range of cases you can get?

As for Aircooling => watercooling, you can try to get the Swiftech H220/320. The AIO cooler can be expanded into a custom watercooling loop.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I do gaming mostly with my current setup...

it's been almost 5years since i did a major upgrade and want something in i7 coz of that...Ram's i want 16gb because i plan on using this rig for another 5years so don't want spending again after a year or two...

below are the cases brands readily available..

Antec
Coolermaster
Corsair
FSP
Seasonic
Silverstone
Huntkey

Inclined to buy coolermaster as they are better priced but if there is another case which is much better featurewise will buy that
smile.gif

And yes i am inclined to buy gigabyte motherboard more due to their build quality u can see my current one lasted 4 years without giving me much trouble
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman8506 View Post

Hi,

I do gaming mostly with my current setup...

it's been almost 5years since i did a major upgrade and want something in i7 coz of that...Ram's i want 16gb because i plan on using this rig for another 5years so don't want spending again after a year or two...

below are the cases brands readily available..

Antec
Coolermaster
Corsair
FSP
Seasonic
Silverstone
Huntkey

Inclined to buy coolermaster as they are better priced but if there is another case which is much better featurewise will buy that
smile.gif

And yes i am inclined to buy gigabyte motherboard more due to their build quality u can see my current one lasted 4 years without giving me much trouble
biggrin.gif
There is little difference for gaming between the i5 and the i7. However, this is OCN, and if you want the extra epeen, go for it
thumb.gif

The reason I suggest 8GB is because currently, that is the sweet spot for price/performance. It is also very likely that RAM prices will drop in the foreseeable future (I've heard rumors of Kingston going to drop pricing).

It all comes down to your budget and how much you are willing to spend. I don't know the pricing of components in India, so you need to budget yourself.

As for casing, I do not know much about full towers. I'm sure someone else can help you out though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be upgrading in phases first phase will consist of cpu,mobo,rams and cpu cooling. so budget for that is 800$. You can go ahead and suggest components 800$ can bring me 4770k + good motherboard + 16gb ram's in india now it all comes down to which rams i pick i can get someone who is coming back from us to bring rams and processor from there to cut down on the cost by upto 200$
wink.gif

Cabinet required is full tower mostly. yes i do have 8gb rams right now and know it should be enough but i want the E-peen as u said
tongue.gif

In the second phase will be buying SSD and cabinet. third phase will have watercooling and gpu(if at all i think current one is holding me back) i will be doing a 22' X 2 monitor setup on the gpu that is when i will decide if a newer one is required or not.

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
I would stick with 8GB of memory, i5-4670k (an i7 is just an i5 with Hyperthreading capatibilities which makes no difference in games), Z87X-(U)D3H.

RAM prices are high right now so I wouldn't buy more than needed (in any case anyway) overkill is almost never a wise choice for computer parts anyway, 8GB is a good overkill already. Anything more for those parts would be useless overkill so that leaves out some budget for other components. Just take 1x8GB stick and you can easily get another stick later in case it's needed.
I see that you said you have 8GB of memory already owned but if it's what I see in your sig it's DDR2 hence not compatible with current motherboards.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($138.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($58.38 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $622.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-15 06:44 EDT-0400)

Here that's ~$600-650 and you have all good components and those new ultra low profile Ballistix memory sticks which usually overclock greatly, a pretty good SSD, a mid-tower case but roomy already and with great watercooling abilities (just check some Arc Midi R2 builds here on OCN or on the internet), that's a great upgrade package and saves you the rest of your money for future upgrades in a few years when new and improved tech hits the market.

Note that the Arc Midi R2 will not fit a 360mm radiator without some modding (as made here) in which case you'll have to hunt for some bigger case (coming from Fractal Design there's the Define XL R2 which is bigger).

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i5 4670k + 8gb ram and that board sounds good. for cabinet i think will go for Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 as it is readily available in India.. Will do a loop of 24mm radiator just for cpu when the time comes for phase 2...with the saved money i can buy two 250gb ssd's and do a raid setup on them
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
383 Posts
Why would you recommend him to use 1 ram stick on a dual channel motherboard? That being said, if the OP really wants 16GB of ram then he should buy 2x 8GB sticks. The ram usually OC's better without all the slots populated.

OP you might also want to do a little more research to see which cases are easier to do custom water loops in. Corsair may be a little better in that regard. Both Corsair and Coolermaster make great cases (I have a HAF X myself) but certain models are better suited for water cooling. Not sure how much you want to spend on a case. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
OP, please do check out the Swiftech H220. You can use it as a standalone CPU cooler now but expand it into a custom loop later.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes looking into that on a later date. and buying dual channel rams only will be taking 2x4gb sticks if tight on budget and move it to desktop pc later incase requiring 16gb memory... Since there is not going to be a difference in making a raid for the ssd will buy only one 250gb
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvman313 View Post

Why would you recommend him to use 1 ram stick on a dual channel motherboard? That being said, if the OP really wants 16GB of ram then he should buy 2x 8GB sticks. The ram usually OC's better without all the slots populated.
I don't think that it makes a significant difference in bandwidth which has a real-world impact, but if you have some benchmarks in that regard I'd be interested to see them -- that's something not much is being said about.

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvman313 View Post

I wasn't trying to be confrontational. I was just wondering why anyone would suggest that.
We're all here to discuss and share/improve our knowledge. I thought single stick would be a good upgrade path and there was one in promo, else yeah you can still run 4x4 anyways so that's not a concern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts