1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my taskbar I have the option of ejecting my HD like a USB drive. Pretty odd
eek.gif
. All I did were the following:

- Formatted through windows install screen. It told me to make a 100mb partition for the system or w/e. Havn't seen that before
confused.gif

- Prior to doing the above format, windows installed drivers for the HD and the HD wasn't showing up in my computer so I loaded up through my windows cd and formatted it there.
- HD is in AHCI mode in bios
- It's not my main windows HD. It's my HD for my games

Did I do anything wrong? I mean.. I was able to copy all my files to it just fine. I also tested it with HD Tune Pro and AS SSD benchmark and it both showed read and writes speeds of over 125mb/s.

I could just leave it but I'm worried I'll accidentally eject it when trying to eject one of my external HDs.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't see where that option is in my bios
frown.gif

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is perfectly normal, AHCI allows for hot swappable hard drives. Meaning you can safely remove a hard drive in your system as you would a usb drive.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth;15259722
This is perfectly normal, AHCI allows for hot swappable hard drives. Meaning you can safely remove a hard drive in your system as you would a usb drive.
This. In AHCI mode, your SATA drives become hot swappable, and you can add/remove them while the OS is loaded.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh well that's a relief.

Weird.. I did googling on AHCI and everyone just says it performs better but hot swapping was never mentioned
thinking.gif

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yep. Hotswapping and Native Command Queuing are two of the major benefits of using AHCI. I think it also allows SSDs to use the TRIM feature.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You can remove your drive from the list of removable drives.

In your registry, browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\ser vices\\msahci\\Controller0\\Channel0

and create a new DWORD named "TreatAsInternalPort", without the quotes. Set the value to 1 and restart.

If that doesn't work, try Channel1 or 2 or etc until you find the correct one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts