Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
If you're going to buy anything other than an SSD for a hard drive upgrade, the 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black will be an excellent choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,190 Posts
UTorrent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
it will be quicker, yes. if they have the 640gb drive, thats one of the fastest 7200rpm drives out there. the 640gb is on 2 platters, 320gb each. really dense data, so its pretty quick. the 1tb uses 3 or 4 platters, but its still fast

why are you against buying online? its pretty common-place nowadays.

a HDD isnt a huge performance upgrade... load times could be a bit better... and if you move large amounts of data, the WD Black will be good for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man View Post
If you're going to buy anything other than an SSD for a hard drive upgrade, the 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black will be an excellent choice.
ty i was not going at all to spend a ton of money for ssd . I just wish the price would drop lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
it will be quicker, yes. if they have the 640gb drive, thats one of the fastest 7200rpm drives out there. the 640gb is on 2 platters, 320gb each. really dense data, so its pretty quick. the 1tb uses 3 or 4 platters, but its still fast

why are you against buying online? its pretty common-place nowadays.

a HDD isnt a huge performance upgrade... load times could be a bit better... and if you move large amounts of data, the WD Black will be good for that.
I just like to see what im buying once in a blue moon i will buy online
and it's only newegg lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by YLDaryl View Post
Look and see if they have the Samsung F3 1TB. It has 2 500GB platters and faster transfer rates.
i will check ty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypcisugly View Post
I just like to see what im buying once in a blue moon i will buy online
and it's only newegg lol

i will check ty
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
They are a little cheaper than the WD. The access time is a little slower but the transfer rates are faster. If you take a 1TB and short stroke to 100GB you would have great proformance then the rest could be storage.
On the Short stroked partition you will see access times of around 8ms

Edit: BTW access time is what makes a drive feel faster when opening programs and the startup and shutdown of windows. High transfer rates are good for large file transfers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by YLDaryl
View Post

access time is what makes a drive feel faster when opening programs and the startup and shutdown of windows. High transfer rates are good for large file transfers.

agreed.

this is why SSDs feel faster, they have access times that are nearly instantaneous.

Quote:


High transfer rates are good for large file transfers.

agree again
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top