Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I'll also be buying either a Xonar DG or DX in combination with the headset, so keep that in mind.
It'll mostly be used for bass heavy music (Drum and bass, Dubstep, Electro, etc) and gaming (League, Battlefield, Etc).

I'm willing to spend about €100, maybe €150 at most. (That's for the headphones alone)

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog View Post

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I'll also be buying either a Xonar DG or DX in combination with the headset, so keep that in mind.
It'll mostly be used for bass heavy music (Drum and bass, Dubstep, Electro, etc) and gaming (League, Battlefield, Etc).

I'm willing to spend about €100, maybe €150 at most. (That's for the headphones alone)
look for the DT770 or the K550. They are really good for the music you like. They are certainly not the best headphones ever, but at your price point, it would be hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about the ATH-M50? I'm currently looking at the Limited edition red version and my god it looks amazing. Reviews are pretty solid across the board as well.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiihokatti View Post

DT770 is indeed great for bassy music. I recommend DGX over DX (I have both in PCI version, D1 and DG).
And all the siberia recommendations make me cry when you can get Superlux HD681 Evo with velour pads for 28€+postage from Thomann.de.
Those 681's look pretty good as well actually. and for less than €30 I might just have to think about getting a pair of these and spend the rest of the money on something else.

·
Registered
355 Posts
+1 for superluxes! Great phones, great soundstage and do have BASS, its very convincing especially when playing BF3. Explosions sounds very deep, and works great with bassy music too
thumb.gif

You wont regret!. I prefer superluxes over more expensive headphones... Like k701, D2000 which i have sold away..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own a pair of ATH - M50s and they are worth every penny if you can get them for ~$120-150. The lower range on them is clear and detailed (to a non audiophile). The staging on them is great if you have never owned a decent set of headphones before, but those who have have tend to not be nearly as impressed as I was. I think they are definitely worth the investment.

I would only not recommend them to someone who is planning on doing extended listening. They are very "clampy" and a bit heavy so they begin to get uncomfortable if I wear them for more than 3 or 4 hours. Combine them with a decent mic and you have a headset to be envious of.

·
What can't a 4+1 phase do
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackadavis View Post

I own a pair of ATH - M50s and they are worth every penny if you can get them for ~$120-150. The lower range on them is clear and detailed (to a non audiophile). The staging on them is great if you have never owned a decent set of headphones before, but those who have have tend to not be nearly as impressed as I was. I think they are definitely worth the investment.
I'd never pay over 120$ for M-50s. You might as well spend the extra couple bucks and buy DT 770s if you're going that far.
In response to Tjj's recommendation of K550s, they may or may not be good for you, they tend to have issues with fit, and have some weird treble spikes. The bass is somewhat good, but certainly not enough to satisfy a basshead, it's very reminiscent of balanced armature bass, but with a bit less control.

Siberias will not compare to really any of the cans listed, including the Superluxes, and if you're looking for a decent "entry-audiophile" set of headphones, I'd veer clear of them.
Having never heard the Superluxes before, I'm not sure how they sound, but I have heard nothing but good things about them, so they're likely a good bet too.

DT 770s get my vote for you, they're a fantastically capable pair of headphones.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackadavis View Post

I'd never pay over 120$ for M-50s. You might as well spend the extra couple bucks and buy DT 770s if you're going that far.
In response to Tjj's recommendation of K550s, they may or may not be good for you, they tend to have issues with fit, and have some weird treble spikes. The bass is somewhat good, but certainly not enough to satisfy a basshead, it's very reminiscent of balanced armature bass, but with a bit less control.

Siberias will not compare to really any of the cans listed, including the Superluxes, and if you're looking for a decent "entry-audiophile" set of headphones, I'd veer clear of them.
Having never heard the Superluxes before, I'm not sure how they sound, but I have heard nothing but good things about them, so they're likely a good bet too.

DT 770s get my vote for you, they're a fantastically capable pair of headphones.
How much would you say M50's are worth? I do like my headphones to look nice and I personally wouldn't mind paying extra for a bit of style if the quality is good overall. (I would never buy beats though)
The K550's are out of my budget so that's not an option anyway.

My current choises are either a White Superlux HD681 EVO or a Red Limited Edition ATH-M50. The DT 770 might deliver the better sound, but I can't help but factor in the looks of headphones and these don't appeal to me at all.

·
959 Posts
Quote:

How much would you say M50's are worth? I do like my headphones to look nice and I personally wouldn't mind paying extra for a bit of style if the quality is good overall. (I would never buy beats though)

My current choises are either a White Superlux HD681 EVO or a Red Limited Edition ATH-M50. The DT 770 might deliver the better sound, but I can't help but factor in the looks of headphones and these don't appeal to me at all.
The M50s are pretty over-hyped, they don't sound bad in any sense, but they don't sound great either. They're a good starting point for people getting into headphones, since they're rather neutral, but still have enough of a bass kick to satisfy the normal consumer. I'd value them around 100$, but they tend to only drop down to say, 115$ on Amazon. DT770s are a bit goofy looking, but if you're just using them in your house it won't really matter. If you watch the price on K550s, they do drop down to around 200$, you just have to wait a bit, since the price fluctuates wildly on them.

That's another thing to consider, are you using these out and about, in addition to in your house, or are they only for home use? If you're going to use these outside at all, then it might be worth it to go for for a closed pair like the M50s. Where you lose out is the soundstage on closed pairs, with the exception of the K550s, so if you're getting cans for FPS use, then you'll want something with killer imaging, preferably open.

Edit- Sorry about the US dollar usage, I'll scout some prices in Euros and update, since prices tend to be different in different countries. (Can you order from Amazon UK?)

Edit 2- According to Amazon UK, the price of K550s and M50s are both around 135 Euros at the moment, and I would place the 550s leagues ahead of the M50s

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Quote:

The M50s are pretty over-hyped, they don't sound bad in any sense, but they don't sound great either. They're a good starting point for people getting into headphones, since they're rather neutral, but still have enough of a bass kick to satisfy the normal consumer. I'd value them around 100$, but they tend to only drop down to say, 115$ on Amazon. DT770s are a bit goofy looking, but if you're just using them in your house it won't really matter. If you watch the price on K550s, they do drop down to around 200$, you just have to wait a bit, since the price fluctuates wildly on them.

That's another thing to consider, are you using these out and about, in addition to in your house, or are they only for home use? If you're going to use these outside at all, then it might be worth it to go for for a closed pair like the M50s. Where you lose out is the soundstage on closed pairs, with the exception of the K550s, so if you're getting cans for FPS use, then you'll want something with killer imaging, preferably open.

Edit- Sorry about the US dollar usage, I'll scout some prices in Euros and update, since prices tend to be different in different countries. (Can you order from Amazon UK?)

Edit 2- According to Amazon UK, the price of K550s and M50s are both around 135 Euros at the moment, and I would place the 550s leagues ahead of the M50s
Prices don't tend to drop over here as they do in, let's say, america. I would mostly use the indoors, yes, but if I find a nice looking pair I could use them on vacation as well instead of using my cheapo earbuds.

I can order from Amazon UK. As for the prices, you're probably looking at a $1-€1 convertion rate mostly. My €100-150 budget would in most cases be the same as a $100-150 budget, give or take.

EDIT: Pounds are not euros. K550's are £133+6 shipping = €160 and I can get the M50 for less than that elsewhere.
EDIT: I do like the K550's look though. I'll see if I can find it cheaper somewhere else.

·
959 Posts
Quote:

Prices don't tend to drop over here as they do in, let's say, america. I would mostly use the indoors, yes, but if I find a nice looking pair I could use them on vacation as well instead of using my cheapo earbuds.

I can order from Amazon UK. As for the prices, you're probably looking at a $1-€1 convertion rate mostly. My €100-150 budget would in most cases be the same as a $100-150 budget, give or take.

EDIT: Pounds are not euros. K550's are £133+6 shipping = €160 and I can get the M50 for less than that elsewhere.
EDIT: I do like the K550's look though. I'll see if I can find it cheaper somewhere else.
Ah, ok, sorry bout that, please excuse my ignorance, I'm a dumb American when it comes to other currencies
tongue.gif
I always get pounds and euros mixed up. I would look for K550s in your price range if possible though. The M50s would be alright, but I don't think they'd be great for gaming, they're kind of closed in sounding, whereas the 550s will be great for positioning in FPS games. They are a bit bulky to carry around, but I've used them on vacation before, and they're still manageable.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Quote:

Ah, ok, sorry bout that, please excuse my ignorance, I'm a dumb American when it comes to other currencies
tongue.gif
I always get pounds and euros mixed up. I would look for K550s in your price range if possible though. The M50s would be alright, but I don't think they'd be great for gaming, they're kind of closed in sounding, whereas the 550s will be great for positioning in FPS games. They are a bit bulky to carry around, but I've used them on vacation before, and they're still manageable.
Honestly, gaming really isn't a priority. I hardly do any FPS gaming at all lately. I've been playing quite a bit of league, but that's not really depended on having a good headphone.
I'd say 80% of usage will go to listening bass heavy music , watching youtube videos, etc..

What's the better one for my taste in music? M50 or K550? Disregard everything else completely.

·
959 Posts
Quote:

Honestly, gaming really isn't a priority. I hardly do any FPS gaming at all lately. I've been playing quite a bit of league, but that's not really depended on having a good headphone.
I'd say 80% of usage will go to listening bass heavy music , watching youtube videos, etc..

What's the better one for my taste in music? M50 or K550? Disregard everything else completely.
M50s have more bass, but are a worse pair of headphones overall. If you listen to anything other than bass heavy music, I'd recommend K550s, but M50s will have more bass, at the cost of somewhat recessed mids and less soundstage. In the end it's all subjective, and up to your personal preference, but if bass heavy music is all you really listen to, M50s are probably the way to go.
They're typically a safe bet, they tend to satisfy most people, but they won't cater to any specific taste in sound, so to say. You should also still consider those Superlux headphones.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Quote:

M50s have more bass, but are a worse pair of headphones overall. If you listen to anything other than bass heavy music, I'd recommend K550s, but M50s will have more bass, at the cost of somewhat recessed mids and less soundstage. In the end it's all subjective, and up to your personal preference, but if bass heavy music is all you really listen to, M50s are probably the way to go.
They're typically a safe bet, they tend to satisfy most people, but they won't cater to any specific taste in sound, so to say. You should also still consider those Superlux headphones.
I do occasionally listen to other music, but mostly it's for ****s and giggles. Like for example, a couple days ago me and my mates were listening to a pokemon album. That sort of stuff. If I straight up want to listen to music for hours, it's pretty much all bass. The only things that's not bass heavy would be youtube videos. I'm subscribed to a couple lets players that I watch quite reguarly.

The superluxes are still on the list, don't worry.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright so, I found the AKG's for €148 on Thonmann. It's pretty much the absolute limit of what I am willing to pay for a pair of headphones.
Are there any decent headphones around the $100/€100 mark?

Currently I'm looking at Superlux HD681 EVO for €28(+8), The AKG K-550 for €148(+8), Audio Technica ATH-M50RD for €145.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any other recommendations?

What's currently on the list:
Superlux HD681 EVO for €28(+8), The AKG K-550 for €148(+8), Audio Technica ATH-M50RD for €145(+8) or I might even have to consider the DT-770 for €144(+0).

Also, what soundcard should I get? I'd probably get a Zalman clipon MIC as well. I'd get a modmic but unless there's an european reseller, that's not going to happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts