Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my Sig, so you should be able to see my new system. I just got done putting it together yesterday. Anyway, i'm looking to overclock my CPU for the first time. I've never done it before, and i'm a little nervous.

But the truth is, I have no idea where to start. I have Intel TAT installed, and I have looked around the forums before I joined to see what others have posted, and people were basically telling others to just adjust FSB until everything's stable. I just wanted to know if there is anything else I should know, before I start changing Anything. If you need any additional info, then please let me know.

Thanks a bunch, and it's great to be a part of the overclockers community.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Welcome to OCN!

I have no information to offer you...

Just be careful when you start adjusting voltages. Voltage and heat are the two things that can start tearing your components apart.

Enjoy overlocking!

·
ZFS
4,084 Posts
First I would disable a lot of things in the bios like speedstep etc. I would recommend you type "Overclocking (the name of your mobo)" into google. There are guides specifically for your mobo. But in simple terms:
Raise the FSB in increments of 5-10 while increasing the ram the same amount. So if your FSB is 400, the ram should be at 800. If after an OC it won't boot, clear CMOS and fix some things in the bios like NB voltage, CPU voltage, RAM voltage. If it does boot and you are patient, run orthos for 10 mins.
If all of this seems like too much you can do what I did on my e6300. I set the FSB to 450, RAM to 900, CPU volts to 3.0, NB at 1.45 and ram at 2.2 . People here don't recommend a straight out big OC... I don't know why.

Oh, and get a better HSF. Stock is OK but.....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by redsox83381
View Post

First I would disable a lot of things in the bios like speedstep etc. I would recommend you type "Overclocking (the name of your mobo)" into google. There are guides specifically for your mobo. But in simple terms:
Raise the FSB in increments of 5-10 while increasing the ram the same amount. So if your FSB is 400, the ram should be at 800. If after an OC it won't boot, clear CMOS and fix some things in the bios like NB voltage, CPU voltage, RAM voltage. If it does boot and you are patient, run orthos for 10 mins.
If all of this seems like too much you can do what I did on my e6300. I set the FSB to 450, RAM to 900, CPU volts to 3.0, NB at 1.45 and ram at 2.2 . People here don't recommend a straight out big OC... I don't know why.

Oh, and get a better HSF. Stock is OK but.....

Thats essentially the way to go. But I'd check out your temps while its running at stock before you do anything. TAT tells you if I'm not mistaken. Its good to make sure you have everything seated properly. (you'll know if you don't) And so you know how much headroom you have before you should stop. (60C is where I tend to stop.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts