Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my wife and i just had our house built and have a cat5 jack in every room... we use time warner so we have cable internet, how can i run the cable internet so that i can just tap into the CAT 5 jack in each room and not have to worry about using a router for anything? thanks for the help

·
Registered
688 Posts
well cat5 isnt like cable wire it cant be split without a router or a swtch. Hopefully maybe in the basement or garage theres a main terminal for all your cat5 and there you can hook up your modem if it has a 4 port switch one to each room or if you have more rooms than ports your gonna need a larger switch they next step up in switches is usually 8

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Unless they installed a switch at the end of termination you are going to have to use a router. Also it's best to use a router anyways since it is a hardware firewall.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Uhh, routers are used to get network to network. You need a router for you use to use the internet. There is no other way, at all.

Also,
ROUTERS != SWITCHES

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by videoman5
View Post

Uhh, routers are used to get network to network. You need a router for you use to use the internet. There is no other way, at all.

Also,
ROUTERS != SWITCHES

I could connect to the internet without a router...it's called a modem....

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Where are the ends of the CAT 5 jacks terminated, they must all lead to some where ?

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
So many inconsistencies in here.

Alright first off. The box where all the wires are located. You need to buy a router and hook up the cables you need (hopefully they are labeled corretly), I recommend a WRT54G or WRT54GL (flash with DD-WRT if you are comfortable with it). Then, buy cat5e or cat6 cables and then put the cables from the wall outlets to the network capable device.

I would recommend buying the cables from www.monoprice.com they sell quality cables for cheap.

If you have more then two network devices in a room with one network outlet, then you need to buy a switch or a hub. Preferably a switch so you won't have network congestion or any other problems.

My house is set up and wired for Cat5E aswell. This is how we have our setup:

Basement:
Network boxes (full of cables)
|
Router
| \\
1 2 (switches

Wall devices:
Switch1
Two computers and a printer

Switch2
Nothing

Upstairs devices are connected directly

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
if its a 2 story house, or it has a basement, normally the box is places around the staircase

assuminf you have 3 bdr, 1lv, 1k, and assuming 1 jack per room, you can use a 4-5 port router, if more, youll have to run a 6 port router.
also, i dont know how that ISP works, some ISP modems are routers as well, those you can plug straight to it

·
Registered
977 Posts
You said that you and your wife just had the house built, who did the wiring for the cat5 and where did you tell them to have the lines terminate (network box)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts