Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up another house to flip but since i will be in it for a few years i might as well network it correctly. looking for some new hardware as my old setup will be staying at my old house to continue running the business from there.

looking for any advice or changes that might be made. wanting to do this on a budget of no more than $2000 bucks including all the cable runs and outlets. all hardware will be removed from the house in a few years and moved to my old house/business to upgrade the equipment there. we have 4 personal PCs, 4 tablets, 3 gaming systems, 2 servers and 3 telephones not to mention the friends and family that come by adding to the network. up time and speed are very important as we do a bunch of work from home. a cheap wireless router is not an option.

so far the only old pieces of hardware i will be moving are my dell c2100 and a spare c1100 to the house. the c1100 will be my DC and take care of all the dhcp, dns and basic networking needs. the c2100 is my plex server and eats cores for breakfast since we have up to 8 streams at the time going on with it.

looking to grab a ubiquiti edge router lite and a 3 pack of access points for it. i have used the access points in the past and they work well. reviews for the ERL here on OCN are great so thinking about going that route. anyone have a better suggestion on a router? i will need a good guest network to keep others off the business side of things and the ability to setup a VLAN back to the office.

for a switch i am looking at a used procurve from ebay. hard to talk me out of that as they have proven to be ultra reliable in the past and can be had for cheap but if you have a better idea please let me know.

we will be installing around 20 drops in the house so a 24 port patch panel should be fine, i doubt i will rack mount the servers as i have a nice cabinet already and they can just sit in the closet for now. going to grab a cheap 6U wall bracket for the patch panel, switch and router. i have a basic desktop UPS i will add in that should give me around 5 minutes or so of time as long as the plex server isnt maxxed out.

i know its not much and i have mostly made up my mind but does anyone have anything to add?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have a friend telling me that the r7000 will do everything i want and i can use it in place of the ubiquiti products. whats your take OCN? i personally like the idea of having more than 1 AP but i am open to any suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts