Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built my i5 system tonight, I have the stock fan running at 100% all the time. My idle temps using RealTemp are 40-44 without ANY overclock... Under IntelBurnTest, it got up to 81 before I killed it (as it exceed the 78 max recommended by Intel)... under Orthos (Prime 95) it tops out around 70-72...

I have a CM Hyper 212 Plus on the way and don't plan on overclocking until then, but don't these temperatures seem high for a non-overclock on a stock fan running at 100% constantly...

This is bios defaults as well with C1E, C-STATES, etc.. enabled.

Motherboard is GA-P55-UD4P... Ambient room temperate, not sure... the room is around 23, but my CPU is inside an armoire (that remains opened but is solid wood on 2 sides, vented on back). It's probably at least 25-30 where the case is... Case side panel is off (always is).

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
take it out of the case and armoire and retest. But even then, the stock intel coolers are pretty terrible... my i7 920 with stock cooler would prime at stock speeds and reach over 70C.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
To enable speedtest you also have to set the power settings under display properties then the screen saver tab then to anything other that always on and home/office desk.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragsters View Post
To enable speedtest you also have to set the power settings under display properties then the screen saver tab then to anything other that always on and home/office desk.
Huh? What does speedtest do?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Those temps are normal with the stock cooler, the stock cooler is crap after all..
My C1 Q9550 gets to 80C on intelburntest with the stock cooler and runs at 40-43C on idle.
It should do much better with an aftermarket cooler.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradF1979
View Post

Huh? What does speedtest do?

Sorry I meant Speedstep.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I suppose I'll wait to overclock until my CM Hyper 212 + gets here... Hopefully it does a much better job.

Can I ask another question here?

I got this memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231303

When running it on XMP1 (I think that's what its called), does that overclock the CPU some? Also, when I overclock, should I not use that profile, instead set the timing manually so that I can adjust the CPU/MEM ratio, etc... I've read about every guide possible on i5 overclocking but can't seem to get a clear answer on this piece.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradF1979
View Post

Thanks. I suppose I'll wait to overclock until my CM Hyper 212 + gets here... Hopefully it does a much better job.

When running it on XMP1 (I think that's what its called), does that overclock the CPU some? Also, when I overclock, should I not use that profile, instead set the timing manually so that I can adjust the CPU/MEM ratio, etc... I've read about every guide possible on i5 overclocking but can't seem to get a clear answer on this piece.

Nope. It only changes the memory speed. You have to adjust the bclk to OC the CPU. However, adjusting the bclk, will make changes to the RAM speed as well. I would use the XMP profile though. Is there a way to select the ratio to use? I know I can in my BIOS. I have 2:8, 2:10, 2:12, etc.

Edit: I have the same RAM kit in red and black though. They rock. I am currently running them at 1800mhz on 1.55v

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradF1979 View Post

I have the same memory and when I enabled the xmp profile it automatically changed the bclk to 160 from 133 which resulted in a cpu overclock as well.

·
Banned
4,189 Posts
80c or so isn't bad. And, don't bother with the stock cooler with overclocking. It's for the stock clocks and voltages, hence why we call it the "stock cooler".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I found the problem. It was the 'auto' voltage setting on the GA-P55-UD4P motherboard. I went into the bios, set everything to 'Normal' instead of 'Auto', clocked my memory correctly, then overclocked the CPU to 3.2. Everything is fine and I'm running at 40C idle, and 70C load. Hopefully I can get to 3.8 when my Hyper 212 + gets here.

What voltage should I look to run at 3.8? It's nice to run stock volts at 3.2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Havn't tried 3.8ghz yet, but I have gotten 3.6ghz (200x80) @1.225V running stable 3 hrs OCCT linpack and 8 hrs prime95 small fft.

I have played with leaving everything on stock and overclocking with the extreme profile (to oc my ram to 1600) which reached speeds of 3.8ghz when the multiplier kicked into 24x with turboboost. Looking at HWMonitor the highest Voltage was 1.3V, so you might want to try that to start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts