Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm building a new pc and i was after some advice on the parts i have chosen. This build is near the top end of my budget so any changes must stay close to the current price.

I want to OC it at some point (once i learn how) and its mostly going to be used for gaming. I have built a few pc's in the past but this is my first higher end gaming pc and i'm totally new to overclocking so i just want to make sure theres not something that will cause a problem.

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail

Graphics Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 SUPER OC 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Memory - Mushkin 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 Blackline

Hard Drive - Mushkin Callisto deluxe 120GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive + a 500gb drive a already have

PSU - Corsair TX Series 750W ATX2.2 SLI/Crossfire Compliant Power Supply

Case - Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced Pure Black Gaming Midi Tower Case

Samsung SH-S223L 22x Internal Lightscribe DVD±RW SATA Drive - Black

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually looking at the board first, its a similar price i think too so i'll go for that. Forgot to list the cooler too so i'll check that 1 out thanks.

Someone has hit 5ghz with that? I have seen some in the high 4's but never found 1 at 5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking that but i have never overclocked before and this one had extra fans already so i just thought it would be easier. Could you achieve a similar result without getting additional cooling for the standard model?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover;11960683
Don't get the GTX470 "Super Oc Edition"...

Save yourself some money by getting a normal GTX470, and just overclock it yourself.
Usually Super OC version is higher binned... and will overclock higher than a regular GTX 470.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just noticed i didnt list the motherboard, i was looking at both of the boards you listed though. Is there much difference between them? from the reviews i read they were both fairly even i thought

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
If you're using it "mostly for gaming," then get 4GB of RAM, not 8GB. More RAM than you are using is a bad thing, not a good thing. One of the rare instances in our little overclocking world where overkill is a no-no.

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaz;11960762
Just noticed i didnt list the motherboard, i was looking at both of the boards you listed though. Is there much difference between them? from the reviews i read they were both fairly even i thought
The asus and msi boards have had problems OCing with their bios. Thus I am recommending the Gigabyte UD4(UD3 is also nice and cheaper).

I am building 2 Sandy system currently for people, 1 with UD4 and one with UD7.

Edit: Here is the UD3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128460&Tpk=ud3%20p67

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah i was just about to ask that after reading the link from 2010rig. If i will getter better results and save money thats great. Thanks for all the quick replies too

·
Registered
707 Posts
Curious how using 8GB of ram is worse than using 4GB provided they were at the same speed and latencies?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts