Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to name it F-117 Nighthawk (Stealth Bomber) because of the look. The monitors, keyboard, case all go together in the style. Didn't add any cathodes back to the case and I still need to paint the back panel's inside black. I think I may add 2 cathodes to the top eventually, still not sure though the complete black look is pretty appealing at the moment.

Took me a whole day to figure out the proper settings to get this thing to 4.02GHz, all I really wanted was 4GHz. Had a lot of BSOD 1033 errors as well, not sure why it gave me that error. I think its pretty stable at the clocks/voltages now and safe, if anyone thinks different please feel free to comment. Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to get to 4.2 safely feel free to comment.

Temps are ok;however, I would really like to bump the rpm on my pump to 1500 or 1600... Just wish I knew how, probably need more bios tinkering.

When picking the parts I wanted it all to fit in the "stealth" look.

Making the 5970 look even bigger than it really is! LOL

3DMark06 Benchmark (Stock settings on GPU)

3DMark Vantage (Stock settings on GPU)

3DMark Vantage (Overclocked 900/1275MHz)

CPU: Intel Core-i7 930 2.8GHz @ 4.02GHz
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE
Memory: G.SKILL 6GB
Graphics Card: ATi Radeon HD 5970
Hard Drive: 1TB WD Caviar Black + 750GB WD Caviar Green
Sound Card: Auzentech Prelude
Power Supply: Corsair 750W
Case: Antec 900 Modded
CPU cooling: Corsair H50 Water-Cooler
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Monitors: 3x 22" Acer X223w (Eyefinity never looked sexier)

So yeah after getting that counterfeit i7-920 and having it sent back, I finally got this beast built

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Nice rig man, especially with your HD 5970, have you painted your case?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by KaRLiToS
View Post

Nice rig man, especially with your HD 5970, have you painted your case?

Yeah, I didn't paint the panels though so if you look through the holes you'll see gray, I'm fixing that soon enough. Also thinking about ordering another left side panel for the front so I can put some noise dampening material in it.

Edit: Oh and thanks

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
wow, the stress testing really pushed your temps. You should add another fan to the rad for a push pull config to help your temps if you so desire.

Have your tried Prime95 blend?

That should be the next step.

Nice w0rk.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden911
View Post

wow, the stress testing really pushed your temps. You should add another fan to the rad for a push pull config to help your temps if you so desire.

Have your tried Prime95 blend?

That should be the next step.

Nice w0rk.

Thank you, and no I haven't tried it yet. Also I do have another fan to add, I just need to find screws long enough for it =( (I like how corsair suggests a push/pull and doesn't give you whats needed for that)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanderson
View Post

looks good! nice rig, try seeing how high of an OC you can get with HT off on the 930!

Was thinking about that actually, kinda curious how high it will go with the HT off
. I did do a 3Dmark06 bench though, I'll add it to the first post.

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
hey smoke cola, did it take you ling time to paint your case? And did it cost a lot of money? If you have any tutorial to show me, I'll probably paint mine and also I will cut another windows on the side panel, I dont like the original one.

Thanks bud

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KaRLiToS
View Post

hey smoke cola, did it take you ling time to paint your case? And did it cost a lot of money? If you have any tutorial to show me, I'll probably paint mine and also I will cut another windows on the side panel, I dont like the original one.

Thanks bud

Didn't cost much at all, all you really need is:

Spray paint (Whatever color you want, I used all flat colors such as: Flat black, flat primer, flat clear coat)

Sand paper (I used 100 to sand the case down, then I used 150 to sand off the primer)
^^^^ All can be easily bought at walmart or any hardware store really ^^^^

Once you remove all the cages/panels you will need to look inside the case at the top, there are 2 screws (one has a wire to it for grounding you will NEED to screw that back when you're putting it back together.)

After just gently pop the clips out and pull the top off the case;however, don't pull too hard or you'll mess up the connectors in the front. After that is off you're free to sand it down first, then primer it, paint it whatever color you want, and finish it off with a clear coating (just clear paint, it keeps the paint on).

Some useful notes I learned a long time ago painting guitar hero controllers.

1. Never, ever. Ever. paint before sanding.
2. Use light sprays, as your going across tap it 3-4 times to put the paint on lightly.
3. Never spray in one area too long or it will run (which will look very ugly and not smooth at all, ever, unless sanded again).
4. Clear coat is clear, except when you spray in one area too long... then its just "glossy".

----

Let me receive my HD Flip from newegg I won awhile back (had a few problems and couldn't send the forms in until a few days ago) and I will try to make a more in-depth video on painting the 900 and put it on my youtube channel. I was scared to do it myself at first but getting these new parts I just sucked it up and watched videos/read sites.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Very nice but my Crossfire 5850s beat your 5970 in GPU score for Vantage. MOOHAHAHA

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penryn
View Post

Very nice but my Crossfire 5850s beat your 5970 in GPU score for Vantage. MOOHAHAHA

Very nice, I'm not huge into benching and such so this is pretty much a fresh build, only big "mod" I've done is OC the CPU, not even the graphics card
always nice to see big numbers on a bench though. Oh btw, the 930 do you have a problem getting it to 4.1-4.2 without pushing the vcore up? I'm tempted to, but I don't want to screw the processor up.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoka Cola
View Post

Very nice, I'm not huge into benching and such so this is pretty much a fresh build, only big "mod" I've done is OC the CPU, not even the graphics card
always nice to see big numbers on a bench though.

Thanks. I think you got a better 930 than me... I need 1.375 vcore for 4.0 8( *sadface*

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Can that 3 Way SLI board do crossfire too or just SLI?

Quote:

View Post

5830's just slapped around your 5850's.
Can't wait to see what they score with a gulftown pushing them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
View Post

Yep yep, its a X58 board and was confirmed by reviewers on newegg it also does Crossfire... Although it might be awhile before I crossfire my 5970... if ever lol

Quote:

View Post

Thanks. I think you got a better 930 than me... I need 1.375 vcore for 4.0 8( *sadface*

Ah ok so you ran into the same problem as me, yeah I had to push the vcore more than I wanted to hit 4GHz =(

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Quote:

View Post

5830's just slapped around your 5850's.
Can't wait to see what they score with a gulftown pushing them.

That's still 3 cards to my two, and I haven't OCed yet. Dual monitor flicker problem prevents it... If I change clocks up or down my second monitor flickers while in 2d mode... it's lame.

I should grab a third 5850 and and then go balls to the wall.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

View Post

That's still 3 cards to my two, and I haven't OCed yet. Dual monitor flicker problem prevents it... If I change clocks up or down my second monitor flickers while in 2d mode... it's lame.

Excuses Excuses.

Bro.. Run one card and overclock it to the max, furmark it for like 20 minutes to see if it's stable and flash the bios with the most stable numbers. Remove it and do the same for the 2nd card, Reinstall both and enable crossfire. Enjoy

Edit - You have twice the processor score then i do. Hmm.. I wonder if 30K for Trifire is out of the question with a bloomfield let alone a gulftown

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

View Post

Yeah I'm having a problem with monitor flickering when I overclock my card too, only the monitor on my right flickers with the center though. one on the left doesn't do anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoka Cola
View Post

Yeah I'm having a problem with monitor flickering when I overclock my card too, only the monitor on my right flickers with the center though. one on the left doesn't do anything.

Yea it's a driver problem when using 2 monitors and crossfire or single cards with 2 GPUs. No eta on a fix, just have to keep Overdrive disabled, or flash the card to "mimic" stock clocks and trick the drivers.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Excuses Excuses.

Bro.. Run one card and overclock it to the max, furmark it for like 20 minutes to see if it's stable and flash the bios with the most stable numbers. Remove it and do the same for the 2nd card, Reinstall both and enable crossfire. Enjoy

Edit - You have twice the processor score then i do. Hmm.. I wonder if 30K for Trifire is out of the question with a bloomfield let alone a gulftown

This was when I has 2 GTX 295s and a 920. Ah yes, the 30k mark... how elusive she is...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ Epic, I want to get another 5970 to really improve the eyefinity, I think I'll just wait it out though and sell this card and get the next top of the line when the 6k series hit. Providing that it pushes more power and uses the technology a lot better (which it should, ATi hasn't let me down yet).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts