Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Stop saying I'm new
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is stemming from my watercooling thread...which is referenced right here. This is what i decided on with a $4500 budget (thanks to my promotion, and deployment money). Basically, i love the Extreme Edition procs from Intel, and NVIDIA works the way i want it to. I'm going to add a little bit of spunk and belong to an elite group of people: QUADRO owners.

I'm going with the Gigabyte X58a-UD7 mainboard, Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 kit, a Velociraptor 150GB, WD Greenpower 1TB, 2 GTX 480s for SLI with a PNY Nvidia QUADRO 4000 2GB Workstation Video Card, locked away in a CM HAF 932 case, and the CPU/Northbridge is being cooled by the Swiftech Ultima XT+. Check the attachments for the full details. Tell me what you think! Unfortunately i still have 5 months. Gives the price on my list some time to drop, i want to invest in better ram.

Thanks Guys, cant wait to get back home to start building!

Later,
Gigalisk
(Forward Deployed)

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Want list Revision A.
Want List Rev. B
Initial Price List
Inventory and Price list, Edited until i finish buying!

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigalisk
View Post

This is stemming from my watercooling thread...which will be referenced right here. This is what i decided on with a $4500 budget (thanks to my promotion, and deployment money). Basically, i love the Extreme Edition procs from Intel, and NVIDIA works the way i want it to. I'm going to add a little bit of spunk and belong to an elite group of people: QUADRO owners.

I'm going with the Gigabyte X58a-UD7 mainboard, Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 kit, a Velociraptor 150GB, WD Greenpower 1TB, 2 GTX 480s for SLI with a PNY Nvidia QUADRO 4000 2GB Workstation Video Card, locked away in a CM HAF 932 case, and the CPU/Northbridge is being cooled by the Swiftech Ultima XT+. Check the attachments for the full details. Tell me what you think! Unfortunately i still have 5 months. Gives the price on my list some time to drop, i want to invest in better ram.

Thanks Guys, cant wait to get back home to start building!

Later,
Gigalisk
(Forward Deployed)

Well,

If you're gonna be getting it in 5 months, everything is going to change..

Come back in 5 months and we'll have a look then... Mmmmmmk

C

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

Well,

If you're gonna be getting it in 5 months, everything is going to change..

Come back in 5 months and we'll have a look then... Mmmmmmk

C

i agree, sandy bridge might be out by then

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You should really get wait till you get back before you build a new system. New tech might be out by then and prices for current items will likely be lower. Put all that money that you were going to use for you build into one of those high interest savings accounts that you cant touch for a certain amount of time. The money will just sit there and make you more money. Goodluck

·
Stop saying I'm new
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely didn't say i was buying this within the next week. Recognize the title says Q1 2011.

"...Unfortunately i still have 5 months. Gives the price on my list some time to drop, i want to invest in better ram.

Thanks Guys, cant wait to get back home to start building!..."

FOR NOW, it's just a list. That Quadro as a physx card is going to

·
Stop saying I'm new
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodro
View Post

Just wondering why you don't go for an SSD?

I'm not with it yet in terms of SSD; it took me like 3-4 years after it came out to go to SATA drives. Performance boost to Price ratio is still not to my liking, and I still have a budget i would like to maintain. However upgrading to a solid state drive is not out of the question yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigalisk View Post
I'm not with it yet in terms of SSD; it took me like 3-4 years after it came out to go to SATA drives. Performance boost to Price ratio is still not to my liking, and I still have a budget i would like to maintain. However upgrading to a solid state drive is not out of the question yet.
Same here but i just go my pc last monday
And i am lovin IT!!!!!
i was the same with SATA only got SATA at the end of 2006

·
Stop saying I'm new
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DominionXL View Post
And i am lovin IT!!!!!

HAAAAHAHAHAHA That's EXACTLY what i said. OH yeah, new update....building custom loop from Koolance. New listing is up. Also added Corsair H70 for cooling the pc, rather than taxing the loop for VGA and CPU. For those i have seen a dual rad setup, and i'm not sure how much space i will have, especially since i have to cool the NB as well with the loop.
LL
LL

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
Quote:

NEW LIST....i might not be looping my vidcards...but i'll have 12 GB of RAM!
What are you even going to be using this rig for?? Unless you're actually doing something RAM intensive you are never going to even touch most of it. Also with $4500 you can build a much better build IMO that is fully watercooled but right now it isn't even worth diving into considering just about everything will change by the time you actually buy the rig.

·
Stop saying I'm new
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FOLDING. Plus, i'm getting married soon, so i'm making something that will not be hurting for an upgrade for the next 2 years.

Honestly, this is my hobby. If i'm not building computers and testing their limits, then there is no point. That includes spending money on parts that i know are quality, or things i want to test out and write reviews on. Hey, SOMEONE buys that expensive **** to write reviews on...might as well be the guy who loves his job, and loves folding.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Quote:

Wow, you are doing a $4500 build with a 980x and a quattro card, and you're complaining about price for a SSD

Just get a 60 or 80gb boot drive, those ought to be below $100 by the time you build your machine.

Oh, and H70 isn't worth its price for the performance, either go custom water or stick with a good heatsink on air.

·
Stop saying I'm new
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOOOHOOOOOO @ the release of the GTX 580! That means i will put off SLi for a minute and just run one of these with a quadro independently. I have also changed mobo dramatically, and i already purchased a Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200 PSU for about 200 beans. Updated list shortly...

...and uploaded! I took out some majors, like HDD, Optical, and vied for 1 card w/Quadro instead of 2 because 580 looks like it will perform very well for the next 6 months of games that are going to release for PC.

I was thinking about getting a PCIx Gaming LAN card to maximize the CPU productivity. I'm holding out on WC, because if i dont opt to buy a full system, i will just backup and upgrade my current system (Obsidian, sig rig) and maybe upgrade my loop with a bigger res or res/pump combo to accomodate the 2 extra cores.

Input not necessary, but very wanted! Hit me back, thanks!

Gigalisk
(Forward Deployed)
LL

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
It will perform very well for the next 6 years of games that are going to release for PC.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
Wow, you are doing a $4500 build with a 980x and a quattro card, and you're complaining about price for a SSD

Just get a 60 or 80gb boot drive, those ought to be below $100 by the time you build your machine.
A SSD will give you more of a tangible upgrade than 12GB of RAM ever could, unless you are rendering or something like that. But the snappiness of applications opening will make you feel like you went from a 486 to an i7.

Right now I have an Intel X25 G2 as my boot drive and I play games and apps off my Crucial C300 - the change from standard drives is amazing. Windows starts ~10 seconds after bios splash screen, applications open almost as soon as you release the mouse button.

To each his own, but seriously consider getting at least a boot SSD, it is well worth the money and will give you a visible and tangible feeling of your computer being the beast it really is.

·
Stop saying I'm new
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, it's definitely in the backburner stages....HDD are the last things i think about because i usually just carry over HDDs from the last build.

And now, i am the proud owner of an EVGA GTX 580, complete with a copy of Futuremark 3DMark 2011, that is shipping with it for a limited time.

SLI is out of the question, unless i decide to not add the quadro for physx, or the card drops down 100-150.

So now i'm good on PSU, Video...****, thats good enuff to upgrade Obsidian...
but i want MOAR...

I'll keep yall posted.

Gigalisk
(Forward Deployed)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DominionXL
View Post

And i am lovin IT!!!!!

Heh, this is the first PC I've built with SATA.

Anyways, it doesn't hurt to get an idea now for what you want. Just keep an eye on things when and if you can. Keep up with tech if you can.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts