Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you don't or can't have readily available amounts of copper to do your own block, melt a ton of pennies down, there you have it! a block for less than 3 bucks....

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, but most people who have wc setups already have their blocks... idk where i could get the fire hot enough though to melt them thoroughly though..lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

300pennies?

now if everyone here does it thats around 3 million pennies

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
u can over a huge fire, but anyways its not the same quality copper. blocks use really good solid copper, and pennies are only like 50%, so that wont work. good idea though

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Not only that, pennies aren't pure copper, they have a lot of zinc in them.

ever tried smelting soft metals in a microwave? I can't remember all the specefics. Google it sometime, it actually works.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, yeah i realized they had zinc in them, that's why people already aren't doing this... ehh, i'll try and find somewhere where i can get a big block of it..

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natel

ever tried smelting soft metals in a microwave? I can't remember all the specefics. Google it sometime, it actually works.

lol...man that tells u just how unsafe microwaves are lol

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea they can be used for many things, like melting small animals...
lol jk jk
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

lol...man that tells u just how unsafe microwaves are lol

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

yea they can be used for many things, like melting small animals...
lol jk jk

wow...well....uhh..ok thats scary

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm not that scary a guy once you get to know me...lol i was kiddin aboot the small animals part...but you can melt many things...as long as they have some form of water in them
Quote:

wow...well....uhh..ok thats scary

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
lol yeah, they are great, and ive melted alot of things in there. just it sucks to have something in your kitchen that emits about as much radiation as a friggin nuclear power plant

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, thank god for shielding, otherwise we'd all be screwed...lol...im out...bedtime for me
Quote:

lol yeah, they are great, and ive melted alot of things in there. just it sucks to have something in your kitchen that emits about as much radiation as a friggin nuclear power plant

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
They melt easy with a bit of heat.. but the only problem is where are you going to melt them to? No matter what you do, the copper will be diluted and the final product (no matter how much lapping) will look like ****! lol

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
machine the hunk into a block...

machining...some people in the machining industry have access to a CNC machine...lets them specify how much of a tolerance they want on the bottom, so you can have a shiny bottom....no pun intended.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I actually have acess to what looks like a very nice and very expensive mill and lathe at any time should I need to... and the idea of machining my own water block(s) has come to me several times now... especially if I want to bolt that 50x50mm 226watt TEC on my 6800GT when I get it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts