Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually wake up every day to find that my new iMac has woken from sleep with out me waking it. My external is on (which tells me the computer is also on). The screen is black until i move the mouse then the desktop comes up but im not connected to the internet or anything.
What could be waking my mac from sleep. I only have 3 thoughts, it is either my external, no idea why it would but i guess its possible. I am running a magic mouse app that gives me more control called Mouse Wizard. Not sure if that would cause it but i use this software so i can put my mac to sleep my covering the mouse with my hand. The last is maybe my power saving settings are off. I just unchecked wake for network access. so we will see if that solves it. Do any of you have any other ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
uncheck wake from mouse or keyboard? maybe its a pet

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like....paranormal activity...or maybe...a homeless guy living in your closet? I'm kidding (I hope). But my guess would be to eliminate those things one at a time, if it still wakes, its obviously one of the others. If that doesn't sort the problem...refer to my first two guesses? Good luck!

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,157 Posts
I'd try turning off your external drive, booting up, close any open applications, sleep your computer via Apple -> Sleep, leave it and see if it wakes up.

Quote:
The screen is black until i move the mouse then the desktop comes up but im not connected to the internet or anything.
The display might have gone to sleep.
Go into your Energy Saver settings under System Preferences and see how long your iMac waits before sleeping the display?

Do you have any hot corners enabled? in Desktop and Screensaver under System Preferences.
When is your screensaver set to start?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
My old laptop used to do that, when it was closed and under my bed. Used to piss me off so much when I was trying to sleep.
Never did find out why the hell it did that.

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
It's the 10.6 Snow Leopard update. There are currently working on fix at apple. You will have to deal with it for a little bit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well for 1 morning (yesterday morning) since i unchecked wake for network access it has not woken while i was sleeping. But today it did. The only reason it did today was because my dad threw something on my desk. In which case it was a regular wake. so it may be problem solved here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts